IGNORED

NES King of the Hill

asponge

Pick one game that you particularly enjoy or are especially good at and post your best score for this game.  This will become your personal game for the season.  Any other HSC participant can attempt to beat your score and claim the "king of the hill".  If by the end of the season you still have the top score for the game you posted and are still "king of the hill" you'll earn significant bonus points.

This competition will run concurrently with Season 21.  The points, however, will remain separate.

At the end of the season we'll add up all the points scored and find out who's the real NES king.

Scoreboard

Rules:

1. New titles will be accepted any time through season 21, round 8.  Just post your high score in this thread and let me know it's a new game.  I will then create a scoreboard for your individual game.

2. No game played in the HSC for the last two seasons will be accepted.  You may check this list: https://neshsc.neocities.org/Games/GameList.html and sort by Last Played to determine if something you have in mind is acceptable.  Any game played after 3/7/2021 is out of bounds.

3. No games that have a score limit will be accepted in order to decrease the possibility of a tie.  For example Gun.Smoke stops at 999,990.  Note that games where the score rolls over are ok.

4. I will have final say as to whether a game is acceptable to post for the HSC.  If you are unsure please contact me before you put the effort in to obtain a high score.

5. If another player beats your score, you can post a new score at any time to attempt to reclaim the top spot.  You do not have to wait for another player best your score in order to post a new one.  You may improve your own score at any time.  This is actually to your advantage if you're in first place as it decreases the points other players' scores are worth.  See scoring point #2 below.

6. Challenges to the top score may be posted in this thread through season 12, round 13.  Afterward, every player who selected a game has two rounds (14-15) to regain the top spot for their chosen game.

Scoring:

1. A player will earn 25 points for each game for which they hold the first place position.

2. Players in positions 2, 3, 4, etc.  will earn points based on how close they are to the 1st player's score.  

For example:
    1st place score is 100,000
    Challenger scores 50,000 that's 50% of the top score.
    Therefore the player earns 50% x 25 = 12

Challenger scores 35,000 that's 35% of the top score.
    Therefore the player earns 35% x 25 = 8

Points will always be rounded down.  This means the maximum points the second place player may earn is 24.

3. At the end of the season, if a player is in first place for their selected game then they'll earn an extra 50 bonus points on top of the 25 for being in first place for a total of 75 extra points.

General HSC Rules:

• To participate, just post a score to the thread. Anyone can join in at any time.
  • A picture or screenshot is encouraged when posting a score but not required.
  • Do not exploit game glitches, take advantage of 1-up loops or intentionally die in order to replay a level.
  • If "point pressing" is not specified in the game rules you should be moving forward in an attempt to complete/loop the game and not "camping" for points.
  • No emulator save states, slow-mo, rewind, etc.
  • No cheats, e.g. Konami code, Game Genie, etc.
  • Turbo controllers are allowed.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

After much soul-searching, I have chosen my KotH game for this season!

Ms. Pac-Man (Tengen)

Pac Booster: a/b

Difficulty: Normal

Maze: Strange

Starting Level: 1

Ms. Pac-Man is my favorite game, and after discovering this version when we played it in January of last year, I went nuts. I can’t say enough good things about this version. The new maze options, speed boost, and the insanely cool 2-player vs AND co-op modes, gives you so many different ways to play. Another aspect that sets this version apart is that it actually has an ending (the manual says 36 mazes). My friend and I played through it last year on strange co-op, and it was awesome. This is definitely a game I’d gladly come back to again and again. I’ve decided to stick with the settings that we played with before because the strange mazes are just so interesting and challenging to play. Plus, people compete in Ms. Pac-Man all the time, so let’s shake things up and make it sTrAnGe. 

Not my pb, but a good starting score:

Ms. Pac-Man - 135,110 (lvl 11)

06F78EF5-4890-4900-A5C8-98932C3B9CAC.thumb.jpeg.a578f102224b213903e6717421ea696c.jpeg

1 hour ago, fakecortex said:

After much soul-searching, I have chosen my KotH game for this season!

Ms. Pac-Man (Tengen)

Pac Booster: a/b

Difficulty: Normal

Maze: Strange

Starting Level: 1

Ms. Pac-Man is my favorite game, and after discovering this version when we played it in January of last year, I went nuts. I can’t say enough good things about this version. The new maze options, speed boost, and the insanely cool 2-player vs AND co-op modes, gives you so many different ways to play. Another aspect that sets this version apart is that it actually has an ending (the manual says 36 mazes). My friend and I played through it last year on strange co-op, and it was awesome. This is definitely a game I’d gladly come back to again and again. I’ve decided to stick with the settings that we played with before because the strange mazes are just so interesting and challenging to play. Plus, people compete in Ms. Pac-Man all the time, so let’s shake things up and make it sTrAnGe. 

Not my pb, but a good starting score:

Ms. Pac-Man - 135,110 (lvl 11)

So, seeing as you took my only option, it's only fair i knock you off your pedestal.

1 hour ago, Frozone212 said:

Does it necessarily HAVE to have a score? Can it be something like metroid for instance?

I'd think "having a score" is required, but I'm open to whatever. 

But I am kinda curious to hear how you'd manage a "high score" competition with no score 😄. You thinking speed run or something?

Top Gun -- 169,600

Last played back in 2008, it seems, and I'm guessing by the low scores that it wasn't a hit with the crowd.

Spent virtually all day trying to beat this one to get a score worth throwing down, and finally pulled it off.   Made it to stage 2 on the second loop.

This game means a lot to me, as all things "Top Gun" were a pretty important part of my childhood.  Well, still is, really...

TopGun169600.jpg.379703230eb30875a8b433d808f8c4cd.jpg

• Like 2

Marble Madness usually makes me learn a few new cuss words, too, but games like that are perfect for these competitions, in my opinion.  Short, quick plays that challenge the player to eek out as many points as possible within those constraints instead of longer play sessions.

When I made a NES homebrew a couple of years ago, Marble Madness was the game that sparked that lightbulb in my head that made me decide to go with a, get this, short quick play that challenges the player to eek out as many points as possible within those constraints instead of a longer play session  😁

And recently made a PC game that focused on short, quick play that challenges... yeah, you get the point.  

• Haha 1

New score to update, tho now it looks like I should switch my focus to some new games here. Don’t think I’ll be de-throning @mbd39 on MM, but the cool thing about this scoring is the % factor, so I’ll definitely be trying to improve on all the games this season. Anyway, a little shy of my 172k pb, but scoring ramps up real quick with these strange mazes...

Ms. Pac-Man - 154,910 maze 12

F8C24BD3-4698-442A-BEA3-4FFD63F6802F.thumb.jpeg.07ab9059da5f71d0eb7159a30d022c7f.jpeg