IGNORED

NES King of the Hill

asponge

12 minutes ago, Frozone212 said:

For Gun-Nac:

Easy or normal, no expert

Bosses are limited to either 1 (MG), 2(discs) or 3(orbs) for weapons (bombs don't count and normal enemies can use whatever). If you are over, you must die to reset to normal.

Final: Drops bombs can only be used once and no more than two wings per game. Everything else is good

other than that, the basic rules apply

I haven’t played this yet, so I’ll let others weigh in on how they feel about these specific rules, but I think we should stick to one difficulty setting as a general point for any game. I don’t know what the differences are between easy and normal here, but everyone having the same settings makes for a fair competition. 

1 hour ago, Frozone212 said:

The game difficulties are Novice, Intermediate, Advanced or Expert.  Pick one.

Bosses are limited to either 1 (MG), 2(discs) or 3(orbs) for weapons (bombs don't count and normal enemies can use whatever). If you are over, you must die to reset to normal.

Final: Drops bombs can only be used once and no more than two wings per game. Everything else is good

This is ridiculous.  Special rules are to prevent exploits not change how the game is played.  

Trojan - 130,150

Gun-Nac - 4,633,510

I've playing these 2 a lot this week and finally beat them.  

I played Trojan a lot as a kid, so it didn't take long for it to come back to me.  I used to play with toy sword and shield and I'd always try to mimic the dude's cool pose when jumping forward holding the shield.  I'm sure I nailed it.  No pics to prove otherwise!  

Also, I visited Detroit back then and when I played the game, I thought the setting was Detroit.  Nothing against Detroit, but it looked a lot like this to my childhood mind.

Gun-Nac, though, I hadn't played before this week.  I thought I had played the arcade version via Mame, but looking for it, there doesn't seem to be an arcade version, so I dunno what I played thinking it was this.  Its a great game, one of the best shooters on NES, but for some reason it's hard for me to stay focused when I play it.  Like it lulls me into a bored daze then I die.  That's cheatin' if you ask me...

Although I finished the the game, my final stage run was VERY sloppy and I missed a lot of points.  I died, lost powerups, and couldn't seem to get back in the zone.  Not sure I have it in me to try any more runs though. 

Trojan_130150.jpg.f330890cb168c58183310a5bb81a538d.jpg

GunNac_4633510.jpg.bdeb30048dac1e506382d7f866149773.jpg

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

On 9/10/2022 at 9:41 PM, Frozone212 said:

For Gun-Nac:

To keep it interesting, though, I would also add --

You can only press left no more than 382 times

If your thumb slips off the B button, you need to wait 3 Mississippi before you can fire again

A light should be positioned in the room so you have an annoying, big ass glare in the corner of the screen (you can see an example of this in my "Trojan" pic)

Add a modifier of 8% to your final score if you played while having the flu, covid, or really bad allergies

• Haha 2

On 9/7/2022 at 10:14 PM, Crazy Climber said:

I'll pick Trojan. No idea if this is a good score or not, its just one of the few games I can consistently 1cc because I still play it regularly. Also one of the few cases where the NES version is far better than the arcade version (commando is another one IMO) 

Trojan - 119850

Warning, pic contains spoilers lol

Well, after finishing it a few times, I would have thought that score was "a good score," as it seems pretty much in line with what the game seems to award during a normal, no point pressing/leeching type of playthrough.  But then I checked the leaderboard and saw this --

bubufubu    1,332,650    10/7/2015

So holy crap... maybe there's a few secrets in the game that we're missing.  Like, ya know... over a million points worth of secrets.  Might have to dig a bit on this one and revisit.

Kinda related @asponge  -- for these King of the Hill games where we use the same, normal rules as the HS Leaderboard, will these scores be added to that?    I'd imagine that's not an option for any game where we have "adjusted" rules of course, but curious if they'd be added for the ones with the same rules, like Top Gun and Trojan.

11 minutes ago, Razzie.P said:

Well, after finishing it a few times, I would have thought that score was "a good score," as it seems pretty much in line with what the game seems to award during a normal, no point pressing/leeching type of playthrough.  But then I checked the leaderboard and saw this --

So holy crap... maybe there's a few secrets in the game that we're missing.  Like, ya know... over a million points worth of secrets.  Might have to dig a bit on this one and revisit.

Kinda related @asponge  -- for these King of the Hill games where we use the same, normal rules as the HS Leaderboard, will these scores be added to that?    I'd imagine that's not an option for any game where we have "adjusted" rules of course, but curious if they'd be added for the ones with the same rules, like Top Gun and Trojan.

Getting that score in Trojan requires a ton of point pressing and burning lives to point press.  If you're just playing straight through it will be closer to your score.

I know that this is usually forbidden in contests so I don't know what the rules are here.

• Like 1

15 hours ago, Razzie.P said:

To keep it interesting, though, I would also add --

You can only press left no more than 382 times

If your thumb slips off the B button, you need to wait 3 Mississippi before you can fire again

A light should be positioned in the room so you have an annoying, big ass glare in the corner of the screen (you can see an example of this in my "Trojan" pic)

Add a modifier of 8% to your final score if you played while having the flu, covid, or really bad allergies

lol

no extra rules need apply

i like the idea though

3 hours ago, Razzie.P said:

Yes, these scores will be added to the leaderboard at the end of the season.

7 hours ago, Razzie.P said:

6 hours ago, mbd39 said:

Getting that score in Trojan requires a ton of point pressing and burning lives to point press.  If you're just playing straight through it will be closer to your score.

I know that this is usually forbidden in contests so I don't know what the rules are here.

Yeah, I watched a few vids in hopes of improving my score and they all "point press" etc a LOT, like every opportunity haha

I didn't do that on my run but since the levels are timed I guess it should probably be allowed. I'm not sure who's call that is though, Im good with it if everyone else is (just let me know so I can try a point press, intentional death run) 

7 hours ago, mbd39 said:

39 minutes ago, Crazy Climber said:

Yeah, I watched a few vids in hopes of improving my score and they all "point press" etc a LOT, like every opportunity haha

I didn't do that on my run but since the levels are timed I guess it should probably be allowed. I'm not sure who's call that is though, Im good with it if everyone else is (just let me know so I can try a point press, intentional death run) 

Eh, that's a bummer.  Rules may have been different back when bubufubu played and got that score.  I assumed it's not allowed here, based on this bit --

• If "point pressing" is not specified in the game rules you should be moving forward in an attempt to complete/loop the game and not "camping" for points.

I'm cool either way and whatever ruleset asponge creates, though, but personally, I would not do much point pressing even if it is allowed.  That's never much fun for me, as I'm more the type who likes to be moving forward. 

On 9/18/2022 at 8:28 PM, Razzie.P said:

Ms Pac Man - 88,420

This one has some cool mazes that shakes the formula up a bit for sure.  I'm not a strong Pac Man player in any version, though, so I don't think I'll be a threat to anyone here, based on your "introductory scores."

MsPacMan88420.jpg.1bfdf7fb61524e61f16dc27c9a7c5c56.jpg

I know you didn't mean to but you screwed everyone over when you picked strange. I can't even breach 50k, let alone 88. 

I'm not mad, just annoyed

I know you didn't mean to but you screwed everyone over when you picked strange. I can't even breach 50k, let alone 88. 

I'm not mad, just annoyed

Well, you're right about part of that.   "I" didn't mean to do that when "I" picked strange.  🤣

Disagree that anyone is screwed over, though.  As long as we're all playing with the same criteria (ruleset, settings, etc) if doesn't matter if our scores are super low or through the roof.  I'm not particularly good at it, but I found "strange" to be a fun, refreshingly trippy way to play Ms Pac-Man.

But, ummm.... the scoreboard shows you're in the lead with 170,180.  Which is more than 3X as many as that 50k that you can't breach.  You didn't have a miscommunication and (inadvertently) pull some shenanigans there, did ya?

5 hours ago, Frozone212 said:

I can't even breach 50k, let alone 88. 

4 hours ago, Razzie.P said:

the scoreboard shows you're in the lead with 170,180.  Which is more than 3X as many as that 50k that you can't breach.  You didn't have a miscommunication and (inadvertently) pull some shenanigans there, did ya?

3 hours ago, Frozone212 said:

no, but thanks for the reminder. I just find the strange mazes to be infuriatingly difficult

Just condensing this convo bc I’m curious by what you actually meant with your first comment @Frozone212 

16 hours ago, Frozone212 said:

I just find the strange mazes to be infuriatingly difficult

Understandable.  I'm not a strong Ms Pac Man player, so I'm not really in the know about how much more difficult it is than the original settings.  I just enjoy how it shakes things up a bit.

16 hours ago, Frozone212 said:

no, but thanks for the reminder. 

Very welcome, but how do you forget that you put in the time and effort to achieve a great score like that (seems really good to me, at least) while simultaneously forgetting the skillset and strategies used to achieve it, setting you back to sub 50k scores?  Seems like that sort of thing usually sticks with a person for a bit.

On 9/22/2022 at 1:21 AM, asponge said:

I'm going with Super Sprint for my game.  This isn't my best score, but here's something to get it on the board.

1867379261_SuperSprint.png.316ce6eef8e2ab002245147c816b105e.png

I played this a bit today, but haven't gotten a score that's above "man that's embarrassing" yet.  White car's a bully!  

Recently, I got into a new hobby -- RC Cars.  Well, I've always loved them, but could never afford a nice one as a kid, so finally parted with some $$$ and jumped in.  Amazing how much this game feels like a proper RC type of thing, even if not intended.

Also -- eff you, white car!

• Haha 1