IGNORED

NES King of the Hill

asponge

On 9/4/2022 at 3:15 PM, asponge said:

Pick one game that you particularly enjoy or are especially good at and post your best score for this game.  This will become your personal game for the season.  Any other HSC participant can attempt to beat your score and claim the "king of the hill".  If by the end of the season you still have the top score for the game you posted and are still "king of the hill" you'll earn significant bonus points.

This competition will run concurrently with Season 21.  The points, however, will remain separate.

At the end of the season we'll add up all the points scored and find out who's the real NES king.

Scoreboard

Rules:

1. New titles will be accepted any time through season 21, round 8.  Just post your high score in this thread and let me know it's a new game.  I will then create a scoreboard for your individual game.

2. No game played in the HSC for the last two seasons will be accepted.  You may check this list: https://neshsc.neocities.org/Games/GameList.html and sort by Last Played to determine if something you have in mind is acceptable.  Any game played after 3/7/2021 is out of bounds.

3. No games that have a score limit will be accepted in order to decrease the possibility of a tie.  For example Gun.Smoke stops at 999,990.  Note that games where the score rolls over are ok.

4. I will have final say as to whether a game is acceptable to post for the HSC.  If you are unsure please contact me before you put the effort in to obtain a high score.

5. If another player beats your score, you can post a new score at any time to attempt to reclaim the top spot.  You do not have to wait for another player best your score in order to post a new one.  You may improve your own score at any time.  This is actually to your advantage if you're in first place as it decreases the points other players' scores are worth.  See scoring point #2 below.

6. Challenges to the top score may be posted in this thread through season 12, round 13.  Afterward, every player who selected a game has two rounds (14-15) to regain the top spot for their chosen game.

Scoring:

1. A player will earn 25 points for each game for which they hold the first place position.

2. Players in positions 2, 3, 4, etc.  will earn points based on how close they are to the 1st player's score.  

For example:
    1st place score is 100,000
    Challenger scores 50,000 that's 50% of the top score.
    Therefore the player earns 50% x 25 = 12

Challenger scores 35,000 that's 35% of the top score.
    Therefore the player earns 35% x 25 = 8

Points will always be rounded down.  This means the maximum points the second place player may earn is 24.

3. At the end of the season, if a player is in first place for their selected game then they'll earn an extra 50 bonus points on top of the 25 for being in first place for a total of 75 extra points.

General HSC Rules:

• To participate, just post a score to the thread. Anyone can join in at any time.
  • A picture or screenshot is encouraged when posting a score but not required.
  • Do not exploit game glitches, take advantage of 1-up loops or intentionally die in order to replay a level.
  • If "point pressing" is not specified in the game rules you should be moving forward in an attempt to complete/loop the game and not "camping" for points.
  • No emulator save states, slow-mo, rewind, etc.
  • No cheats, e.g. Konami code, Game Genie, etc.
  • Turbo controllers are allowed.

new score is 741400. can you update the scores?

2 hours ago, Razzie.P said:

Guess I need to read up on this one to figure out scoring.  I made it to level 7, but with about half the score as asponge who made it level 6, so seems I'm missing some points somewhere.

The demo always shows level 6.  I believe I made it to level 21 in that run.  There are actually only 7 unique tracks in the game numbered 0-6.  They loop with increasingly difficult obstacles.

The first track of each loop (0, 7, 14, 21, etc.) is the short track displayed in your screenshot.  At loops 3+ I feel like this is the most difficult track.  If you fall behind at all there is no opportunity to catch up and you're finished.  If you can get through the short track, you have a good chance of completing the next loop and scoring some decent points.

The handful of attempts I've made this season I've failed at track 21 each time which is why my score is stuck where it is instead of coming close to my personal best on the scoreboard.

• Thanks 1

8 hours ago, Razzie.P said:

Recently, I got into a new hobby -- RC Cars.  Well, I've always loved them, but could never afford a nice one as a kid, so finally parted with some $$$ and jumped in.  Amazing how much this game feels like a proper RC type of thing, even if not intended.

I agree with you that this game scratches some sort of RC car itch.  As a kid I really enjoyed RC cars and have debated buying a real car as an adult.  This thing was the pinnacle for me back in the day.  I can't tell you the number of hours I spent driving this around.  

Panther.jpg.b1d865e1ec8ba4075c95e0e86b7e43c6.jpg