IGNORED

NES burnout

There are from what I understand GUIs (frontends) that do this on some format or another, minimally, at least the box art, some may also have some little bits of added info/sentence about it (maybe what was the old box art bs in the rear.)  Emulation though is part of the problem too.  You have a free seemingly endless supply of files to flip through, at no charge to you, that you can use and abuse or not.  That alone creates a mental barrier and easy apathy for most because you're not invested, there's zero value there, it's just crap on a storage device to leave lumped there to rot.  It really helps when something is on the line, then you're more willing to motivate yourself to use it.

1-2x a week I go around some spots, primarily 3 I know of in a cluster, and I look for old games for specific (limited to a small list of devices) titles, and if they pop up...win!  Same can be said for anime on DVD/Blu ray.  Even when I do find, I refuse to get taken for a ride, so if there's a question I pop up ebay and check the sold rates, or what you can buy it for on amazon (and rightstuff, etc for anime.)  If the value is there, I take, and if not, I don't need it.  Some of these movies/tv seasons I could just fork over $10 to get on funimation or crunchyroll or retrocrush tv but it's not the same, it's back to the find, watchlist, and forget it level of apathy.  One store has Kirby's Dream COurse, but its $40, you could pay that, or have a weeks worth of patience for $30, so I've let it rot for 2months about now.  Yet I also have the ROM, but yet I don't use it, because it has no value to me.  Oddly, if I had the cart and I was feeling just lazy, I would more likely use the ROM on my PC for quick pick up session. ;)

• Like 1

I have to agree with you, playing with real hardware and cartridges just makes playing NES much more appealing. I would recommend starting with some homebrew games and the cheaper games, just don't buy something you know you are not going to want to play. Another thing you could do would be finding someone to play the games with you, couch play is always good.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

On 9/7/2022 at 10:46 AM, Frozone212 said:

oh no, i don't use the actual hardware, I use emulation.

If only modern emulators could show the box art ordered by date along with the rom name.

that's how I imagine it. instead it's colorless rom files, no art, nothing

Download Launchbox and import your roms through there, linking them to your emulators. Then you get to look at the art and screenshots of games as well as colorful fan made background art.

Launchbox Game Boy.jpg

Edited by TheGameCollector
  • Like 1

See you weren't burned out, you just needed some new window dressing to bother to dig for something to play.  You needed the 21st century spinoff of the old VIDPRO cards Toys R Us and others had.  YOu get the game box art/title on the front, the rear has the screen shots and description and fluff hype on the back too to see if its your thing.  That's basically what you have there, digital vidpro cards to browse and play off of.

It's a shame emulators these days with net connections just don't do this on their own.  I'd be very prone to use emulators again if it were that easy to just thumb through my archives with such pretty things to flip and browse through than some dumb directory tree of dry names you may or may have no clue about what they actually are.

If you're bored with always playing on a certain system, then try other ones...

There's no law saying all retrogamers can only play Nintendo games.

And I highly recommend using a frontend like Launchbox, not only you can "see" the game boxes but it also has a choose a random game feature which lets you find something you might not have played before.

• Like 2

Seems it works for a lot of things, I'd check the list if they have one (should) https://www.launchbox-app.com/

I've heard of it before but never bothered, lazy or more likely I just like to get in and go fast so I just use certain emulators where I can just click-load-click, it goes.

It's pay to play though?  Or is that for extra features?

Edited by Tanooki

Well I gave them my email(not cool them doing that) just to download it.  I'll have to give it a shot.  They were another called playdate that's supposedly like it, I tried it out and tried to set it up for a little and it was clunky and not clean like how this looks.  I think it is free for a basic level of service to a point, then pay if you want more micromanagement or something, not sure, so I'll when I get time have to guinea pig it and bit and see how it rolls out.

For the entire family of Gameboy (color, advance) there is GB Operator for PC etc that uses a USB based little kit and an emulation/front end package.  It kind of does at a basic level what this launchbox website looks like and the info above, game box art, image, maker info, and a sentence or more about each individual title and it does it quite well with a pretty robust and growing database.  I'm curious to see how similar they are.

Edited by Tanooki

• 5 months later...