IGNORED

HSC19 R13: GYRUSS & VANGUARD

therealbountybob

GYRUSS & VANGUARD

Both fantastic games, some of the best music too!

Round closes Monday 26th September 6pm UK time

Full HSC points for both games.

GYRUSS

We now have a bug fixed XEX version of the classic space warping shooter thanks to Wilheim :thumbsup:

Download XEX / Download+Info on atariage thread

image.png.d655a1e8036dd6583b93c4734074b334.png

VANGUARD

http://www.atarimania.com/8bit/screens/vanguard_2.gif

Play using repeat fire ([Option/F4] keep fire pressed for autofire ) and remember you're playing for high score so learn to milk out those points especially with the shield and in the rainbow zones. Restart the game from the beginning each time -wait for the title sceen to show before pressing fire/start. Once you complete the first round the game speeds up and improves no end. Extra life at 10K and 50K. No pause key! WARNING: at the end of your go it is too quick to continue if you are pressing fire - you can miss seeing your score :twisted:

Links

wikipedia Info

fandal xex

atarimania

Trbb's hints: Master releasing fire to move faster when avoiding enemy missiles. You can dock with the little creatures on the 'bleak' stage for a lift and healthy bonus too. In the Rainbow Zones you are pretty safe constantly shooting up then down while maintaining your position - move with the rhythm of the music (on PAL anyway)

Get blastin' and post some scores :D

Gyruss:  53400

My wrist too sore to play more than one game unfortunately LOL.  I remember my dad loving this game when it came out but I've never been a huge fan.  It's just too similar to Galaga for my tastes.  Although I do love the whole travelling the solar system bit.  Was 1 stop away from Uranus when I died.

Gyruss.jpg

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

Vanguard - 52,350

Seems like a decent start after playing a few rounds.

My cousin had a 5200 when we were kids and this was my go-to game when we played on that system.  Not sure how different that version is from this one, but it's kinda crazy how much the zones take me back.  Most games from my childhood, I've played as an adult at some point, but not this one, for some reason, so it's the first time in a LOT of years. 

Vanguard52350.jpg.7495a029c9062a8946af910fc28b3581.jpg

• Like 3

4 hours ago, McKong said:

Seems like we only just played Gyruss

1 hour ago, carlsson said:

7 years ago for Gyruss, 4 years ago for Vanguard if the stats are fully updated.

Yes we played it a couple of season ago with Block on Legs: First Steps, but it crushed it in the polls - must get the records updated and the season 19 tables! Have some time coming up next week for Atari matters :cool:

Been playing Vanguard - got to the end of the second level having destroyed the boss guy one level 1

Photo4009.jpg

Jasper says he prefer's Felix over Sheeba - traitor!

Photo4006.thumb.jpg.85940a5af32490d80bb45b9576e57e85.jpg

• Like 3
  • Haha 2

On 9/9/2022 at 7:11 PM, therealbountybob said:

Gyruss great fun to play! Lost the double fire as I got to Mars then was in big doo doo as the first warp to earth was crazily fast :-o have beaten this before think some of you had a double earth landing ?

Photo4010.thumb.jpg.c65c1bd38d14ec146c91fb687013aa40.jpg

Yes, when we played a few years ago I went close to beating the HSC record. I remember thinking afterwards that I didn't ever want to play it again!

On 9/11/2022 at 8:36 AM, McKong said:

Yes, when we played a few years ago I went close to beating the HSC record. I remember thinking afterwards that I didn't ever want to play it again!

The HSC record is probalby safe from me as my favourite old quickshot might not make it past this round, having moving down on Vanguard but still somehow held on to reach the boss at the end of level 4 (dispatched the firtst three of them!). Gamre speed get's pretty crazy :-o lots of fun :love:

Photo4014.thumb.jpg.790c6bb2294b837bf3a85d66379eaee4.jpgPhoto4017.thumb.jpg.e6dc04c7c50cda40bc03076d49a43fb2.jpg

• Like 1

14 hours ago, therealbountybob said:

my favourite old quickshot might not make it past this round

Aren't they just microswitches inside? should be fairly easy to repair.

Would be nice if Gyruss could be updated to use a driving controller 
I might be able to find some time for this round with any luck 

2 hours ago, mimo said:

Aren't they just microswitches inside? should be fairly easy to repair.

I might be able to find some time for this round with any luck 

Hi M. The quickshots have a spring type microswitch (not the concealed ones in the Comp pros) never been able to find them, this ones switches are ok I think but the plastic shaft part now creaks a lot and possibly and the plastic legs attached to it that push on the spring are deteriorating from much use :_(

first tables

both games full HSC points!

Vanguard

therealbountybob   108,560   12  
Deteacher   69840   11  
Razzie.P   52350   10  
AtariSphinx   41490   9  
RedThunder   12,640   8  

Gyruss

therealbountybob   231,650   12  
AtariSphinx   103400   11  
8BIT 1337   53400   10  
Deteacher   51500   9  
RedThunder   36,700   8  

hmm, the new forum doesn't function properly with my old PC but on this one I can now paste in direct from Excel so that saves me some hassle :thumbsup:

Might start up the next poll soon :idea:

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, therealbountybob said:

The quickshots have a spring type microswitch (not the concealed ones in the Comp pros) never been able to find them, this ones switches are ok I think but the plastic shaft part now creaks a lot and possibly and the plastic legs attached to it that push on the spring are deteriorating from much use :_(

Ah, my mistake, I was getting confused with the Compy Pros :(

• Like 1

latest tables

both games full HSC points!

Vanguard

therealbountybob   108,560   12
Deteacher   69,840   11
Razzie.P   52,350   10
AtariSphinx   41,490   9
MichaG   38,310   8
RedThunder   12,640   7
chevymad   3,090   6

Gyruss

therealbountybob   231,650   12
AtariSphinx   103,400   11
8BIT 1337   53,400   10
Deteacher   51,500   9
chevymad   49,850   8
RedThunder   36,700   7
MichaG   31,450   6

Round 14 POLL OPEN        

• Like 1

A bit quiet here so if we don't get a few scores over the next couple of days we can end the round early - Tuesday 4pm UK time?  Think the three week idea is not such a good one. Vanhguard doesn't take much tiime to play :ponder:

Round 14 POLL OPEN

For once, I've been super busy so I didn't have any time yet to play in the HSC. Hopefully I can fit in some time this afternoon. During Monday - Friday, I have exactly 0 minutes left for retro gaming so whether you end a round on a Monday, Tuesday or Thursday is irrelevant for me. Indeed it begun on Tuesday, September 6 so if you end it this Tuesday it has had exactly 2 weeks of playing including two weekends.

On 9/14/2022 at 11:02 AM, mimo said:

It would also be nice if Vanguard supported diagonal movement. I don't know if that is on purpose that it doesn't, or a shortcoming. Since I'm used to my Starplex, I don't find movement in Gyruss that hard, easier than most Q*Bert type games for sure. But I see what you mean about rotating a wheel.

Put me on the board with Vanguard!  40,150

On 9/9/2022 at 8:49 AM, McKong said:

Seems like we only just played Gyruss

I actually do like Vanguard better!  Although the choice of music in the rainbow zones reminds me more of a circus game than a race to beat the baddie in the last zone 🤣

6 hours ago, therealbountybob said:

A bit quiet here so if we don't get a few scores over the next couple of days we can end the round early - Tuesday 4pm UK time?  Think the three week idea is not such a good one. Vanhguard doesn't take much tiime to play :ponder:

I appreciate that there is extra time, as with school starting things get chaotic and I haven't really had time to play anything after that first session before today!  I'm cool with starting a new one Tuesday though.

I do love shooters but I like them more on more modern machines:  Gradius V on PS2 being one of my faves!  I'm also kinda terrible at them LOL.  When I'm grooving on a game like Final Legacy I definitely find myself coming back to play more than when I stink :)

Vanguard.jpg

• Like 2

Vanguard: 42,100

Some improvement.  Have not gotten the hang of stripe zone.   Using the top path has not been very successful (end up loosing too many lives).   Probably need to try more using the bottom path.  Had similar troubles with this zone on the 2600 and when find the proper route can really get much further. 

20220916_000140.jpg

• Like 2