IGNORED

Best compiler C no cross..

atari1byte

There are a few decent options on the Amiga. GCC is there for pretty much industry standard code, but is a little heavy and clunky to use. Dice C is pretty good and more Amiga-centric, VBCC is probably the most commonly used one though. Most C coding on the Amiga tends to be for applications so most code examples will be along those lines, but you've got the full Amiga API at your disposal including all the graphics, sound and controller functions, and banging the hardware can be done without too much trouble if you prefer.

• Thanks 1

I used to use a pirated version of SAS/C 6.0. It was meant to be installed on hard disk, but I managed to jury-rig a setup consisting of two floppy disks, the first with boot + editor + compiler and possibly some small source files, the second disk entirely with libraries. Then I utilized the RAM disk on my Amiga 500+ with 2 MB for temporary storage. I could have used Dice instead, but was told that SAS/C generated better code. Of course that is 30 years ago and I realize that even on the native Amiga scene, compilers must have evolved a lot since then.

• Thanks 1

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
On 9/8/2022 at 4:27 PM, carlsson said:

I used to use a pirated version of SAS/C 6.0. It was meant to be installed on hard disk, but I managed to jury-rig a setup consisting of two floppy disks, the first with boot + editor + compiler and possibly some small source files, the second disk entirely with libraries. Then I utilized the RAM disk on my Amiga 500+ with 2 MB for temporary storage. I could have used Dice instead, but was told that SAS/C generated better code. Of course that is 30 years ago and I realize that even on the native Amiga scene, compilers must have evolved a lot since then.

When I was developing for the Amiga, I used Lattice C, which was later renamed SAS/C.
I started out using a strait 68000, floppy drives, and a RAM disk.  Copying include files and libraries to the RAM drive sped things up a lot. 
Floppies on their own work, but it's slow.  I'd start compiles and go to bed. 
Then if I woke up and didn't hear the floppies running, I'd look to see if there were errors, fix it, and restart the build.  It would be done by morning. 
Once I had a 68030, hard drive, 3 MB of RAM, and a disk cache utility, compiles took very little time.
I'd still say SAS/C is the best C compiler for the Amiga.
If you have the skill, GCC *might* generate a little better code at times, but I haven't used either in years.

• Like 1

Ah, Lattice.  I inherited a copy when I bought my original A500 and used it in my college C programming classes.  Still have it.  Is quite easy to use.  My girlfriend bought me a copy of Cubic a long time ago, but I have not (though I should) used it yet.

• Thanks 1