IGNORED

ASMA - Atari Sound Music Archive on asma.atari.org

JAC!

I've joined the ASMA team to update the web site which has been dormant and without updates since quite some years.

Visit http://asma.atari.org

image.thumb.png.0c7d698c81226e970038c54b53d1353f.png

The site ist leaner and cleaner now

• Site icon added
  • Find song on entry page added
  • ASMA download and database updated (more than 6000 songs now)
  • Google translate replaces language specific mirrors
  • Search by keyword is new default
  • Modules with single song play immediately
  • Outdated links and content have been removed

Update

• First version of the new search interface is now online, click for an example
  • Compact single page interface with additional filter and sorting options
  • Pure HTML and Javascript, no more PHP and MySQL required,so you can keep a functional copy everywhere

image.thumb.png.16490d1b5f7827383a2e769e4cce6747.png

• Like 17
  • Thanks 12

4 hours ago, scotty said:

Are these the AMS files we collected back in the day converted to this SAP format?   Is there an advantage to SAP over AMS?

I don't know AMS, but I'd expect SAP is a more universal contain. Please PM the details you have about AMS, and I'll check.

Update: Replay frequency display added, Playing time display added, init/player/music address display added, Pause button added, updated to ASAP 5.0.2. If something doesn't work, please try and clear your browser cache.

image.thumb.png.1facd69b09c1272b103bb5f8b8e27191.png

• Like 6

11 hours ago, invisible kid said:

Mike Potter's Chicken is set as 50Hz PAL and plays like that in all my players/plugins. Is there a way to force play to 60Hz NTSC? Or convert or re-encode? I have asapconv if that can do it.

From the screen shot of he game it's obvious is uses NTSC artifacting, so the original would most likely NTSC (also given the year of release). Could you confirm the other songs of him are also NTSC originals?

image.thumb.png.2909aadb8fc0f475e17b3f027057adc2.png

Update:

• Song title, author and pause status in displayed also in title bar now while sone if playing
  • Link on Author added (currently use browser history, so "back" works)
  • Export in all supported formats added (depends on the individual modules; for RMT based files it's SAP, RMT and XEX; beware that XEX sometimes have load addresses is too low and won't work from DOS)
    image.png.7b4492bf174733e4390c1cd9815f8ae0.pngimage.thumb.png.8c6c3b693e30f04b66d713d571432148.png
  • Option added to add and play local files via the browser instead of the ASMA predefined listed, choosing "Cancel" or no files will return to ASMA mode
    image.thumb.png.78f7b4dbc74a5ce7842e48424d3f8070.png

• Improved error handling in all places

• Like 2

On 9/17/2022 at 2:33 PM, foft said:

Many thanks @JAC!, its all very good!

I expect you have many ideas but these would be cool additions:

i) Links on author.

ii) Download link for xex version calling init/play.

Done, see amove.

23 hours ago, rensoup said:

I was listening to this tune: http://asma.atari.org/asma/Composers/Szpilowski_Michal/Monty_on_the_Run_Ingame.sap

it say it's by Miker but when I extracted the RMT, it's actually by @EnderDude. I also noticed that he doesn't have a folder while he's done a bunch of great tunes

That SAP is plain SAP file with no standard RMT module included. Where do you see it was done by EnderDude? And of course all songs will be added when provided. The rule is that composers need 3 songs in the archive to get an own folder.

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, JAC! said:

Done, see amove.

That SAP is plain SAP file with no standard RMT module included. Where do you see it was done by EnderDude? And of course all songs will be added when provided. The rule is that composers need 3 songs in the archive to get an own folder.

Ooops...

It looks like I tried to extract a non existing RMT from that file... and I already had a monty on the run.rmt from Enderdude in that folder :ponder:

Here are 3 quality tunes from him, I think he deserves his own folder ;)

• Like 4

3 hours ago, JAC! said:

Done, see amove.

Yoooooooooooooooooooo
Thanks, @rensoup!
I intend to upload more, but I have to make sure the .SAP exports are good, since some of the versions of RMT I used to make some of them don't have .SAP exporting, so I might have to do a bit of that. No biggie though

But I have another I can share right now. Enjoy! :)

Gauntlet III Title.sap

• Like 2

19 hours ago, EnderDude said:

Added, rest will be handled via PM.

On 9/9/2022 at 1:49 PM, scotty said:

Are these the AMS files we collected back in the day converted to this SAP format?   Is there an advantage to SAP over AMS?

There are 201 songs from the AMS and Unknown composers in the ASMA archive. I've added the file path to the "Keyword" search, so they can be found easily.

http://asma.atari.org/asmadb/asma.html?searchPhrase=Unknown%2FAMS

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, JAC! said:

Added, rest will be handled via PM.

There are 201 songs from the AMS and Unknown composers in the ASMA archive. I've added the file path to the "Keyword" search, so they can be found easily.

http://asma.atari.org/asmadb/asma.html?searchPhrase=Unknown%2FAMS

Thank you sir!!

I need to convert all my music demos to SAP and upload them now ... been meaning to do it anyway

EDIT: 4 of them are up there but I think will only play in real hardware.  The windows SAP player may not do them properly as they use two-tone.

http://asma.atari.org/asmadb/asma.html?searchPhrase=synthpopalooza

Edited by Synthpopalooza

Question:  I have been trying to SAP one of my tunes, but I think I am doing this wrong ... attaching all the sources and .bat file.  Could you have a look?

EDIT:  Nevermind ... it's that damned list file ...

EDIT again:  Got it to work ... but it's playing at PAL tempo in NTSC.  Any way to fix this?

alexkidd.lst alexkidd.s alexkidd.sap alexkidd_fSAP.asm alexkidd_fSAP.bat

Edited by Synthpopalooza
  • Like 2

15 hours ago, Synthpopalooza said:

EDIT again:  Got it to work ... but it's playing at PAL tempo in NTSC.  Any way to fix this?

See http://asap.sourceforge.net/sap-format.html. Add NTSC tag.

14 hours ago, Synthpopalooza said:

Also, I have some old AMP  (Antic Music Processor) files on my floppies.  Anyway these can be converted to SAP?

Please provide details via PM and I'll check.

> The windows SAP player may not do them properly as they use two-tone.

Why not? It has has a full 6502 and POKEY emulation.

Will PM you tonight ...

And yes, looks like ASAP handles all my two tone stuff well.  Apologies ... I'm more used to the (until recently) dodgy POKEY emulation on the 7800 platform.

Which begs another question:  I wonder how possible it would be to SAP a 7800 binary.  I did a couple of game tunes once which used POKEY plus TIA percussion.

1 hour ago, Synthpopalooza said:

And yes, looks like ASAP handles all my two tone stuff well.  Apologies ... I'm more used to the (until recently) dodgy POKEY emulation on the 7800 platform.

Actually I don't think ASAP supports 2Tone ?

1 hour ago, Synthpopalooza said:

Which begs another question:  I wonder how possible it would be to SAP a 7800 binary.  I did a couple of game tunes once which used POKEY plus TIA percussion.

That would require adding TIA emulation...

I was able to get an NTSC conversion by building sap2ntsc.c in asap-5.2.0 and running it against Chicken.sap. It added two lines to the header area:

NTSC
FASTPLAY 262

Previously I was just adding the NTSC line and it wasn't working. With both of these lines it does work. It also changes the TIME entry:

TIME 00:31.32 LOOP
=>
TIME 00:26.06 LOOP

Edited by invisible kid