IGNORED

ICD ST HARD DRIVE ADAPTER BD remake project finished

t0ri

Hi,

I proudly present my last finished project of remake an old ICD ST HARD DRIVE ADAPTER BD.
I restored firmware from two protected GAL16V8 chips, drew full diagram and made completely new PCB from recreated schematic.

All of this was possible thanks to MARKUS608 from atari-home.de forum who DONATE his device to do reverse-engineering tricks on them and thanks to well known CIETZ from atari-forum.com for great help in searching for old Atari devices.

All is working 100% like original.

So - anyone can make a clone using data localized on my www there -> http://atari.myftp.org/icdadabd/icdadabd.html
Please use GOOGLE TRANSLATOR to read article(s) because site is written only in Polish language.

I invite you to visit http://atari.myftp.org/. If you have old ICD intefaces (AdSCSI, AdSCSI Plus) please contact me by PM. Thank you.

Regards
tOri

recreated_big.jpg

• Like 11
  • Thanks 1

Hi,

-> Tillek - I'm in touch with Canadian Atarian who have ICD Micro. Yes. I will remake this interface too when I'll have it in my hands. :)

-> oracle_jedi - Yes. <link above> This is exacly same header I used simply FDD connector but there isn't 12V attached. 1. +5V, 2.GND, 3, GND, 4. +5V

Regards

t0ri

Edited by t0ri
missed letters

-> Tillek

I assure you that as soon as I have the opportunity - I will clone the ICD Micro. That is my plan.

AFAIK ICD Micro doesn't have parity generator onboard. It is possible that when I clone it - I will draw and implement such a module?

Regards

t0ri

• 4 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
On 10/15/2022 at 7:57 AM, Jfcatari said:

Nice work on the remake.  I was wondering how long it would take before someone would do this.

I have an original ICD SCSI card with the DB19's on the long side within and ICD branded case.

Hi @Jfcatari,

Can you make a photo of it and put here? I'm working very hard to bring new/old devices for Atarians. Maybe your interface is also suitable for restoration? ;-)

Regards

tOri

edit: I suspect ICD's AdSCSI interface but want to see it real. I have one AdSCSI IF but with PALCE16V8 chips which I can't deprotect yet. If you have one built using GAL16V8 produced by ST I would like to swap if it could be possible.

As you can see - it took a very long time since the appearance of these interfaces on the market before I started to restore old devices. And of this started with a broken PC emulator - PC-speed by SACK...

Edited by t0ri

I just acquired this a few days ago. Right now it does not power up at all.  I will diagnose. In the meantime here are pictures. 

I am curious the reasons for your remake. Are the original boards unreliable?  Or just highly useful?  Or both?

Also if anyone has a manual or driver/diskette for this device please share. 

TIA

0FB32125-FBCA-4C8B-95A9-0DA3ABE5FAC9.thumb.jpeg.99bb7ed68e4c39c0ff651cf7c683f876.jpeg

9FE13CE1-CA32-4E48-AD97-6F5AB917687B.thumb.jpeg.b9efac75888764f2f7b256941d024930.jpeg

A468D3C9-A3FC-447A-B7DB-8658A7AB09CF.thumb.jpeg.7eceddf9e8b9ef4d5967576fa903f288.jpeg

3A7C23AF-B5F2-4522-8EAB-5FD16C5AE3C4.thumb.jpeg.54e5b74a0c56101d77bd388e6273943f.jpeg

ED115076-E6A7-49CD-BC6C-88F3A1F22F73.thumb.jpeg.40b32bbeb9ef1c006f3392b9cb5fa56f.jpeg

06748DBB-2226-4E77-B5F7-401653605F22.thumb.jpeg.9af876da854acf42b686b3a978f762e7.jpeg

• Like 3

I have a FA-ST enclosure also - back in the late 90's it was very finicky starting - I figured it was the HD and nothing else.  Anyhow I eventually was able to transfer everything to an UltraSatan after spending some time getting it to start up - I didnt turn it off until everything was copied ;)

Maybe there is some sort of power switch issue with these.

• Thanks 1

• 4 weeks later...
On 11/15/2022 at 1:37 AM, 800_Rocks said:

I just acquired this a few days ago. Right now it does not power up at all.  I will diagnose. In the meantime here are pictures. 

I am curious the reasons for your remake. Are the original boards unreliable?  Or just highly useful?  Or both?

Also if anyone has a manual or driver/diskette for this device please share. 

TIA

Hi,

The reason is simple - I want to preserve old and "best of" devices for Atari computers, because the original manufacturer does not exist, and any broken device cannot be repaired without my design. Old devices generally contain programmable circuits that are protected from reading the configuration, and I can recreate them despite this protection.

Thanks to user SoulBuster, I have the opportunity to recreate the ICD AdSCSI Plus interface, which I am still working on and hope to finish this project by the end of the year. There are still a few interesting devices that would be worth restoring and bringing back into service - for example - ICD AdSCSI Micro interface :)

regards

tOri

P.S. You need a ICD driver for hard disk - please d/l it from my site -> http://atari.myftp.org/icdadabd/icdp655a.zip - this is full pack of famous ICD software (driver & utils). Hope you'll fix your nice HDD :) starting from power section...

Edited by t0ri
link update
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, t0ri said:

You need a ICD driver for hard disk - please d/l it from my site

Hi - Thank you for your prior post to this thread.  I downloaded the ICD driver from you site.  Do you have a link to the 'latest manual' ?  The READ.ME in the ICD driver states it only has information of the changes since the 'latest manual' which "has the number 36-90 in the lower-right corner of the back cover"   

• Like 1

Hi,

I think that you should read this first:

https://archive.org/details/ICD_AdSCSI_ST_Series_Owners_Manual_ST_Plus_ST_Micro_ST_SCSI_Host_Adaptors_1990/page/n13/mode/2up

This is simple software. First - copy all to diskette.

When you fix your HDD - manually run ICDBOOT.PRG from diskette and you'll see that driver recognizes your SCSI devices (disk on ID:xx and clock on ID:6.

After this you will be able to use HDD if disk has correct partition information ie. Atari :)(I suspect it has). Try to use other software on diskette but be careful with format and partitioning unless you want to erase or rebuild disk.

regards

tOri

• Thanks 1

• 4 months later...

I have trouble finding scsi drives local , and online cost too much. I have a supra with bad drive and I still have my Link (first one) I bought a couple MAC's , but someone already took the drive.

So, anyone know where to buy them ?

On 4/25/2023 at 10:17 PM, djglish said:

Any thoughts about reverse engineering a LInk2?

Hi, Not yet because I need to learn how to restore configuration form secured device.

On 4/26/2023 at 1:28 AM, bandit said:

I have trouble finding scsi drives local , and online cost too much. I have a supra with bad drive and I still have my Link (first one) I bought a couple MAC's , but someone already took the drive.

So, anyone know where to buy them ?

You can do it this way: buy cheap SCSI Ultra320 disk 36GB or 72GB on ebay. Find SCA80<->SCSI50 adapter on ebay or Aliexpress and use ICD's AdSCSI+ interface to make it all work. It is cheapest way to get working SCSI big disk for Atari.

Greetz

tOri

2 hours ago, t0ri said:

You can do it this way: buy cheap SCSI Ultra320 disk 36GB or 72GB on ebay. Find SCA80<->SCSI50 adapter on ebay or Aliexpress and use ICD's AdSCSI+ interface to make it all work. It is cheapest way to get working SCSI big disk for Atari.

Greetz

tOri

The Prices on those are much better, I will now do that. Thanks!!

• 4 months later...
On 11/11/2022 at 3:30 AM, t0ri said:

Hi @Jfcatari,

Can you make a photo of it and put here? I'm working very hard to bring new/old devices for Atarians. Maybe your interface is also suitable for restoration? ;-)

Regards

tOri

edit: I suspect ICD's AdSCSI interface but want to see it real. I have one AdSCSI IF but with PALCE16V8 chips which I can't deprotect yet. If you have one built using GAL16V8 produced by ST I would like to swap if it could be possible.

As you can see - it took a very long time since the appearance of these interfaces on the market before I started to restore old devices. And of this started with a broken PC emulator - PC-speed by SACK...

I have this ICD AdSCSI ST controller.  If I ever needed to make a clone, will using your instructions work for this model? I also have a Supra drive that was working but stopped recently.  The controller works but it is the drive that went bad. Will you be also cloning those controllers in the future?  Thank you

IMG20230827204352.jpg

IMG20230827204537.jpg

IMG20230827204550.jpg

IMG20230827204845.jpg

IMG20230827204849.jpg

IMG20230827210317.jpg

Hi ftovar,

As TGB1718 wrote above - look at thread about cloning of ICD AdSCSI.

If you are asking about the possibility of restoration and cloning the SupraDrive controller - it depends on what ICs are hidden under the 14-1B and 14-12C stickers and the one long IC one under the RTC battery (maxell) because I need to know first what IC are used to build device and, of course, on whether you would like to possibly give a controller for examination and restoration in case it is possible.

If your hdd has broken - the cheapest solution I know is to buy a U320 (80pin) drive, e.g. 18GB, buy an 80pin<>50pin adapter for it and connect it to the hostadapter. Preferably AdSCSI because these are sure to work with such newer drives.

regards

tOri