IGNORED

Ti 99/4a sound chip

Jamesapp

Here's what I came up with for you to turn audio gate on/off using Extended Basic:

100 CALL INIT
110 CALL LOAD(9504,2,224,37,0,29,24,2,224,131,224,4,91)
120 CALL LOAD(9516,2,224,37,0,30,24,16,249)
130 CALL GETW(8196,LFAL)
150 CALL LOAD(LFAL-8,79,78,32,32,32,32,37,32)
160 CALL LOAD(LFAL-16,79,70,70,32,32,32,37,44)
170 CALL LOAD(LFAL-24,32,32,32,32,32,32,0,0)
180 LFAL=LFAL-24
190 CALL PUTW(8196,LFAL)

200 FOR I=1 TO 10
210 PRINT "ON";
220 CALL LINK("ON ")
230 CALL DELAY(500)
240 PRINT "OFF"
250 CALL LINK("OFF")
260 CALL DELAY(500)
270 NEXT I
280 STOP

1000 SUB GETW(A,X)
1010 CALL PEEK(A,B,C)
1020 X=B*256+C
1030 SUBEND

1100 SUB PUTW(A,X)
1110 B=INT(X/256)
1120 C=X-B*256
1130 CALL LOAD(A,B,C)
1140 SUBEND

1200 SUB DELAY(D)
1210 FOR J=1 TO D
1220 NEXT J
1230 SUBEND

I tested it in emulation .. js99er.net but not on real hardware.

Lines 110 and 120 load two assembly subroutines, ON and OFF.

Lines 130 to 190 are about installing the symbols and addresses for CALL LINK to find.

Yep, the names for the routines needs more typing than the code itself!

Be careful that you get those last two numbers EXACT or anything could happen. 

37,32 are the two bytes of address 9504 which is the ON subroutine.

37,44 are the address 9516

The subroutines after 1000 do:

GETW read 2 bytes as a word (16 bits)

PUTW write a word as 2 bytes

DELAY kill some time

• Like 3

A bit shorter/different...

10 CALL INIT
20 CALL LOAD(8196,63,56)
30 CALL LOAD(9460,4,204,29,24,4,91)
40 CALL LOAD(16376,79,78,32,32,32,32,36,244)

Than do a:

CALL LINK("ON")

This should turn the GATE off.

To turn back on. change the 29, on line 30, to 30.

RUN.

CALL LINK("ON")

This should turn the GATE on.

image.thumb.jpeg.fff0628c6c242c0694951dbf040e6347.jpeg

@HOME AUTOMATION

Oh yeah, good simplification.

CALL LOAD(9462,29)

Changes the code to SBO 24

or

CALL LOAD(9462,30) 

Makes SBZ 24

Also

CALL LOAD(9462,30,22) 

makes it SBZ 22. and so on. 

SBO means Set Bit One. It is for the I/O pins, not general memory. SBZ means Set Bit Zero. 

DO NOT GUESS RANDOM ADDRESSES. When  you set a bit, it becomes an output. So only use this routine on bits that the docs say are outputs!

If was  supposed to be an input, you may burn out that function! (Hardware) This is the warning in the TI data book for the 9901 chip. 

Thierry’s table clearly shows which CRU bits are outputs. (Somebody link to it? I’m typing on my phone)

FYI the program above, from memory, was:

AORG 9428

MYWS BSS 32 my workspace 

ON

LWPI MYWS

CLR R12

SBO 24

* fall into:

LEAVE LWPI GPLWS

RT

OFF .. similar

JMP LEAVE

* caution: some version of xas99, in the excellent XDT Python package by @ralphb, produced an incorrect JMP statement.. OFF did the SBZ 24 but then the JMP went to the SBO 24.  Frustrating!  I I saw this in single step mode in js99er.net.  I’ve never had any issues with xas99 before. 

@ralphb I’ll send more info about xas99. It’s possible I’m blind, so  I’ll quadruple check. 

• Thanks 2

12 hours ago, HOME AUTOMATION said:

A bit shorter/different...

10 CALL INIT
20 CALL LOAD(8196,63,56)
30 CALL LOAD(9460,4,204,29,24,4,91)
40 CALL LOAD(16376,79,78,32,32,32,32,36,244)

Wait, did that run safely?

This has the side effect of erasing whatever was in GPLWS R12.  I found that locked up XB in js99er.net. 

Or use RXB that has CALL IO(type,# of bits,CRU-base,varable,variable)

type = 2 input

type = 3 output

# of bits = how many bits for CRU to use from variables

CRU-base = CRU/2 in decimal form. Thus CRU 24 would be 12 and the range can be from 0 to 8191 

variable = a numeric variable 0 to 255 in value or in hex >00 to >FF

CALL IO has been used in a weather station and testing hard drives.

Also you can use CALL IO for cassette controls as that is built into the command.

Additionally, it can play sound list files from VDP or GROM just like Assembly.

5 hours ago, FarmerPotato said:

Wait, did that run safely?

This has the side effect of erasing whatever was in GPLWS R12.  I found that locked up XB in js99er.net. 

I suppose I was assuming that I would get a USER workspace from CALL LINK, not too sure right now. But it doesn't lock-up on Classic99. Indeed, it makes an audible click, when toggled! But, still, a real housekeeping concern, when called from a larger program.

However, I do notice the seemingly bizarre behavior in my screenshot!

One, would expect that I should have received an error response, as I failed to RUN the program:

image.thumb.jpeg.4cf7e05bb0527bd1315b7c2a5435c483.jpeg

That's what happened the first time ...So, I ran the program, and it worked. But, I wanted to get a clean screenshot, so, I started over. But, I slipped a little with the mouse pointer, and hit warm reset, thinking it wouldn't matter. Than, I forgot to RUN the program again.:roll: But, this time it worked because LOWMEM, had remained INITIALIZED.

Corrected screenshot:

image.thumb.jpeg.1a73a2685b65bc7eb6e4a4b23ee83862.jpeg

:grin:

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, HOME AUTOMATION said:

I suppose I was assuming that I would get a USER workspace from CALL LINK, not too sure right now. But it doesn't lock-up on Classic99. Indeed, it makes an audible click, when toggled! But, still, a real housekeeping concern, when called from a larger program.

However, I do notice the seemingly bizarre behavior in my screenshot!

One, would expect that I should have received an error response, as I failed to RUN the program:

image.thumb.jpeg.4cf7e05bb0527bd1315b7c2a5435c483.jpeg

That's what happened the first time ...So, I ran the program, and it worked. But, I wanted to get a clean screenshot, so, I started over. But, I slipped a little with the mouse pointer, and hit warm reset, thinking it wouldn't matter. Than, I forgot to RUN the program again.:roll: But, this time it worked because LOWMEM, had remained INITIALIZED.

Corrected screenshot:

:grin:

So ok heres where im at. Need advice how to proceed. 

side note. Need to clean my room before i start. Ive been meaning to do it. And i dont want to get frustrated can see this going bad easily

but anyway. 

i have: nano peb board with speech synthesizer. 

one issue i have a 9v fully regulared power supply. Right off the bat is this a problem? Cant find my original power supply

have extended basic cart. 

tape recorder cable. 

ti 99/4a. 

digital recorder with sound source. 

so i want to make sure im ok.

-if i hook up my nano peb. And put in extended basic. 

if i run this program

being careful to enter it correctly. 

i will essentially be given access to the line in. And can send sound into the ti and out my speakers? 

i want to get this right. How does this sound to everyone?

ill await a response. I have some questions on what this means exactly

In an attempt to reiterate...

Audio is passed from CS1's, white wire, to the DIN's, output, as soon as the console is powered on.🎧

Have you been able to SAVE/LOAD data, through the cassette cable?

Some of those little digital recorders have reduced output from the jack, this is done to protect their manufacturers from lawsuits|:)! In case you happen to go deaf.:evil:

Mine reduces the volume, upon insertion of a plug, then queries/bullies the user, YES/NO, if they attempt to correct the volume.🔨

Perhaps, there is discontinuity somewhere, a meter could be useful there.🌡️

Jacks/plugs, often fail, where they connect to the pcb/wire, due to lack of effective strain-relief.🤸‍♀️/🤺

Some previous user may have overpowered the input, causing an internal burnout. I suppose.

Hello

my digital recorders output is fine. 

im getting conflicting reports.

Im not sure of what chip i even have in the ti?

ive read heard different reports. 

after reading the last post. 

under normal conditions am i supposed to be able to use the white cassette wire as sound in? 

ive tried unseccessfully. 

i am trying to careful install the code in extended basic. I really have to clean my room and be in a good frame of mind. 

Reading the posts im going to be extremely cautios im going to check my code 10 times. 

i feel like in threads i possible ask to many questions. 

but i dont know how to proceed. 

if i try the above program and am extremely careful im willing to take a chance. 

im really hoping there is nothing wrong with my sound in on the chip? 

can i ask a question:

does my ti 99/4a have audio line capability on the programmable sound chip? 

i want to take a chance and try this i need some guidance to get the go ahead so to speak. 

Any further info would be great?

ill await responses

Hello

under normal conditions am i supposed to be able to use the white cassette wire as sound in? 

i am trying to careful install the code in extended basic. I really have to clean my room and be in a good frame of mind. 

Reading the posts im going to be extremely cautios im going to check my code 10 times. 

if i try the above program and am extremely careful im willing to take a chance. 

can i ask a question:

i want to take a chance and try this i need some guidance to get the go ahead so to speak. 

ill await responses

Hello

can i ask a question:

ill await responses

@Jamesapp

No no no no no no!

The Nano PEB absolutely must have a solid 5V regulated power input! No way will it tolerate 9V!

for god knows what reason, the NanoPEB was made with no onboard voltage regulator, unlike its predecessor the CF7.

I took a 5V 1.0 Amazon charger, chopped off the micro usb endpoint, and soldered it to the right size barrel jack. Not all phone chargers output a clean 5V signal. 

I also made an adapter from the common 4 fat-pin power supply output connector to 5V barrel jack. That covers my lost adapter situation . 

• Like 2

One thing i just thought of?

from re-reading thd last post. 

ive been trying to pass audio from the cassette white wire to the input of my ti 99/4a and the using the main audio/visual cable, which i normally get my ti sound from? 

should i be plugging the red mic cable that i usually plug into my tape recorder into my digital recorder? 

i mean i wouldnt plug it into my computer speakers right? 

i really am confused now

Also: all typing mistakes EXCEPT goofing up the number “24” will do no harm.  

The worst that happens is it just locks up. reset and try again. 

You probably wlll want to try the Cassette motor pin on-off. In that case you can change the 24s to 22 safely. 22 is the motor control pin. 

4 minutes ago, FarmerPotato said:

@Jamesapp

No no no no no no!

The Nano PEB absolutely must have a solid 5V regulated power input! No way will it tolerate 9V!

for god knows what reason, the NanoPEB was made with no onboard voltage regulator, unlike its predecessor the CF7.

I took a 5V 1.0 Amazon charger, chopped off the micro usb endpoint, and soldered it to the right size barrel jack. Not all phone chargers output a clean 5V signal. 

I also made an adapter from the common 4 fat-pin power supply output connector to 5V barrel jack. That covers my lost adapter situation . 

Hello

i really appreciate the response. 

that is my digital recorder plug. Psychologically it bothers me i cant find my nanopeb supply. 

but i have to forgive myself. 

ok so now my goal is to obtain a proper 5v regulated power supply. 

——//—/———————————////——

this might be a good time to figure out the basics. 

im confused. Can i start with some simple basic questions. Im confused. 

ok so one question i have? 

without opening the ti 99/4a is there anyway to determine my model programmable sound generator chip?

thats my first question 

im hoping i can learn in the process?

As to what chip is in there, don’t worry. Unless somebody opened up your console and did something evil. 

The part number varies some.  SN76496 (I think) is in the TI console. It may even be labeled TMS9919.  SN94624 appeared before that.  The differences don't matter to the programmer (only the hardware designer.) 

SN76489 and SN76494 are versions sold outside TI. They do not have the AUDIO IN.  If someone evil repaired your TI and put 76489 in, shame on them.  If Speech works, then your AUDIO IN pin is fine.

Ok ill have to check the speech

that is very good advice and hopefully answers my first question. 

if i plug in my speech synthesizer and get it to speak. Will i know that my audio line in is working. Im going to try that first. 

i just read an article i brlieve there reffering to the ti 99/4

but if anyone wants to read it its intersting to what im trying to do:

https://retrocomputing.stackexchange.com/questions/22266/audio-cassettes-on-ti-99

anyway if the speech synthesizer works i am not going to worry about what chip i have. The article i linked says they took this feature away in i forget what chip number. 

but i can and will try the speech synthesizer and go from there? Im going to try now.

in the meantime. Even if the speech synethizer works it doesent mean i will be able to use the cassette cable. 

thats my next question: can anyone confirm if i should be able to hear sound using the white headphone cable? 

Thats my next question. Related but this would be the proper procedure right, plug in cassette din into back of unit. Then white wire acts as sound in. Example i plug my sound out l and right speakers into the white cable? 

is that a problem the tape being mono?

5 minutes ago, Jamesapp said:

Ok ill have to check the speech

that is very good advice and hopefully answers my first question. 

if i plug in my speech synthesizer and get it to speak. Will i know that my audio line in is working. Im going to try that first. 

i just read an article i brlieve there reffering to the ti 99/4

but if anyone wants to read it its intersting to what im trying to do:

https://retrocomputing.stackexchange.com/questions/22266/audio-cassettes-on-ti-99

anyway if the speech synthesizer works i am not going to worry about what chip i have. The article i linked says they took this feature away in i forget what chip number. 

but i can and will try the speech synthesizer and go from there? Im going to try now.

in the meantime. Even if the speech synethizer works it doesent mean i will be able to use the cassette cable. 

thats my next question: can anyone confirm if i should be able to hear sound using the white headphone cable? 

Thats my next question. Related but this would be the proper procedure right, plug in cassette din into back of unit. Then white wire acts as sound in. Example i plug my sound out l and right speakers into the white cable? 

is that a problem the tape being mono?

First, the cassette connector on the back right corner is a DE-9 or D-Sub 9 pin. It's just like a joystick DE-9.  Only the video connector is a DIN-5.  If you have some weird DIN-5 cable to phono?    (I saw Scott Adams plug the cassette into the side joystick port and trying to load Pirate Adventure into the Scott Adams Adventure cartridge. Anybody can make that mistake.)

Second, I wonder what is your audio source?  You need a headphone jack, not a LINE OUT. 

Typically, the white plug went into a tape recorder's headphone jack. The headphone jack is meant to actively drive a 8 to 32 ohm load.  The 4A appears as a 18 ohm headphone load (not certain of that!).  A plain LINE OUT jack WILL NOT be able to drive this load.

HEADPHONE OUT to real headphone = OK

HEADPHONE OUT to LINE IN = OK

LINE OUT to LINE IN = OK

LINE OUT to headphone = NOPE

Sources like a PC now, having a combined headphone/line out jack, may automatically sense the load, and switch between headphone drive or line drive.

But I am far from expert on audio electronics (I just copy other people's circuits...)

Hello

to anyone. I just plugged in extended basic and my speech synthesizer

i just got sound. So thats good. 

now i know my chip has audio line in and it is working. 

next thing. I have to get a 5v regulated power supply. So i can use my nanopeb with 32k expansion. 

i am then going to enter the second smaller program and the try my cassette plug again. 

while im waiting. A couple of things. 

1.for my next question is this a goid set up? 

speech synethisizer plugged in with nanopeb and 32 k expansion. Cassette cable plugged into back of ti din socket. White earphone cable plugged into sound in. Then put in extended basic carefully load program. 

connect digital recorder. Write small sound program from basic. Run both and if all goes well ill have mixed sound coming from my programmable sound chip? 

does that sound right? 

thank you all for the help. The speech synthesizer working felt good. It was getting frustrating nice something worked

3 minutes ago, FarmerPotato said:

First, the cassette connector on the back right corner is a DE-9 or D-Sub 9 pin. It's just like a joystick DE-9.  Only the video connector is a DIN-5.  If you have some weird DIN-5 cable to phono?    (I saw Scott Adams plug the cassette into the side joystick port and trying to load Pirate Adventure into the Scott Adams Adventure cartridge. Anybody can make that mistake.)

Second, I wonder what is your audio source?  You need a headphone jack, not a LINE OUT. 

Typically, the white plug went into a tape recorder's headphone jack. The headphone jack is meant to actively drive a 8 to 32 ohm load.  The 4A appears as a 18 ohm headphone load (not certain of that!).  A plain LINE OUT jack WILL NOT be able to drive this load.

HEADPHONE OUT to real headphone = OK

HEADPHONE OUT to LINE IN = OK

LINE OUT to LINE IN = OK

LINE OUT to headphone = NOPE

Sources like a PC now, having a combined headphone/line out jack, may automatically sense the load, and switch between headphone drive or line drive.

But I am far from expert on audio electronics (I just copy other people's circuits...)

Hello

thank you for the response.

indeed i was going line out from digital recorder.

will try headphone jack. 

maybe i wont need the program then? 

im going to try that now.

i have a question on what im trying to accomplish. Wondering the practicallity of what im doing? 

if i can i have two questions. 

1. What exactly goes on in this mix? The line in on the sound chip im assuming is analog? Can anyone with any info explain this? 

im going to try the headphone out on my digital recorder now? Im going to write a small sound program. 

but what exactly is going on in the chip? Im new to this. In sn earlier post some said it is like a sound overlay? 

i really am interested in this but will try and listen to what i hear.

questikn 2. Is it possible to use a true line out? With the din socket on the back of the unit? Just curious im into 8 bit music. But it would seem like thd chip could hsndle a line in? But not sure? Or is the headphone cable my only real option? 

like i said not sure of my future use or if there is any benefit to me doing it this way. 

For now im going to try the headphone out and write a small sound program and go from there.

but any additional info would be great.

again thanks for all the help. I appreciate it

To anyone interested i was able to get a mix

i did a small ti sound progrm

results: mixed audio was very low. Tried just digital recorder sound very low and somewhat muffled. 

well im thinking is there a way to get a better audio in? 

the synethisizer sounds very good. 

can i get an actual line in? 

or is there anyway to improve the sound via the cassette tape? Is the fact that the tape plug is mono is that an issue? 

i do have a guy to mod stuff. 

is there anyway to get a proper line in? 

or is it the limitations of the chip? Thats one of my questions earlier someone had written the audio in is more like an overlay to the sound generators? 

i have some other questions but if anyone has any thoughts can u let me know?

11 minutes ago, OLD CS1 said:

The TI's cassette input expects speaker-level inputs.

What exactly does that mean? 

I usually power my digital recorder through the line out ,left and right rca plugs with a set of small powered computer speakers and im very happy with the results

when you say speaker level inputs? The headphone out on my digital recorder’s level is too low? 

can u explain? 

maybe i can still try the program from earlier? 

i can say the headphone jack on my digital recorder through the white wire, i did get something. But too low muffled for my uses. 

but i couldnt get anything out of the line out on my digital recorder with the same white cassette plug? 

can u explain? Any thoughts on what i could do? 

one thing i thought of ive never reslly used the headphone jack on my digitsl recorder before.

Edited by Jamesapp

40 minutes ago, Jamesapp said:

What exactly does that mean?

The audio has been amplified.  Like through a real amp -- when I was working with cassettes and poor-man's mastering, to get audio which could be "heard" by the TI, I had to run through a amplifier and run the speaker outputs to the TI.

40 minutes ago, Jamesapp said:

when you say speaker level inputs? The headphone out on my digital recorder’s level is too low?

Most likely.  It takes less to drive headphones than a full-sized speaker.