IGNORED

Tears of the Kingdom

bluejay

That looks surprisingly good for what little you can see.  Thankfully it appears to stick to the new format that saved the franchise from being a stagnant parody of itself.  The title doesn't sound bad to me, there is obviously some missing context here.  I'm curious to see more about these floating bits of land and that mechanical glider and how that works out.

I'll grab it when it arrives, but at this rate, with the delays and knowing what I've had eluded to, this could be another game that sees yet further delay, mirroring a time from now over a decade and a half ago where a certain Gamecube title got a dual release to the next best thing in gaming.

Trailer reconfirms that it's still Breath of the Wild 2 at heart. Given how great that one is, I'm happy to see that there hasn't been a major shift behind the scenes and that we don't have to wait long to play it.

All I wanted out of a sequel was a fresh area to explore and hopefully a traditional story with typical Zelda dungeon progression. While I think I've always preferred the overworld exploration (So Breath of the Wild was right up my alley), I love both aspects of Zelda and want to see both areas better satisfied with the sequel. I want the huge overworld full of areas to explore and sidequests, but also the huge dungeons and story progression.

Not a bad Direct. Zelda, Pilotwings 64 in HD, and the never localized Fatal Frame port is getting a 2nd chance at life on the Switch (And hopefully other platforms). And I'm looking forward to Microsoft's take on Goldeneye (versus the emulated N64 original that the Switch is getting).

Edited by Atariboy

On 9/13/2022 at 11:04 AM, bluejay said:

What are you guys gonna do first when you get your hands on the game?

I will proceed to remove the shrinkwrap from the outer physical packaging (and rather delicately, I might add--I won't have the opportunity to unbox this more than once). I will then sniff the inner packaging for that fine "new game" aroma everyone talks about. Slowly pulling the card out of its holder, I will check all sides to make sure there are no defects. I will then briefly shed a tear for the lack of an instruction manual, before walking the game card over to my Nintendo Switch dock, where I leave my Switch. I will pull out the cartridge that's already inside the console (probably Xenoblade Chronicles as I've been meaning to finish it this last year but have been too lazy, or maybe Mario Maker 2 that I may have gotten the motivation to play again by that moment in time). I will then insert Tears of the Kingdom, but fail on the first try, because I always seem to put my games in backwards before flipping them around and getting it right. After that, I will then turn on my Switch, forget to mash "A" fast enough before it goes back to sleep, and then I will try it again and get to the home screen successfully. I will then click on the game's icon and be greeted by a day one update. After that moment, I will wait. Patiently.

• Haha 8

7 hours ago, Atariboy said:

Being that it's a Nintendo Switch cartridge, you forgot one important detail. Don't forget to take a second to appreciate that new game taste that Nintendo's kind enough to apply to Switch cartridges by giving the cartridge casing a good lick. 

As soon as I read the part about sniffing the cart, that same thought came to mind. I hear they taste great!

• Haha 3

I'm still playing BotW. The game definitely lives up to the expectations that I had after hearing all of the glowing reviews of it back when it was first released. Even if TotK just turns out to be more of the same, it'll be a day one purchase from me.

I never grabbed the content, I was more than good with what it came with.  Not a fan of paid DLC, and it really was just optional wasn't it?  I would still play this game now, but they annoyingly did just one save file which is mindblowing stupidity on their part.  I don't want to lose the 50+hrs I put in to maybe try again.

Yeah-- it's not spectacular that it only has one (sort of) save slot while every other game in the series that I can think of has at least three. I get around this by using a homebrew save manager on my modded Switch but it isn't an elegant solution.

The DLC is optional, yes, but it adds enough new content to spice things up; especially if the game is starting to feel a bit old. I'm personally not a fan of the Trial of the Sword stuff, but I suppose it isn't particularly bad either. The Champion's Ballad was much more interesting to me, as it adds more to the story as well as new shrines and quests to complete (and also features some new music which I love). Also, Master Mode's saves are independent from Normal Mode (I think), so it can serve as a way to start the game over without giving up your old save. It's annoying at first as monsters take forever to die with the rubbish weapons you find at the Great Plateau, but once you get going it's a lot more exciting that Normal Mode.

I started Breath of the Wild on Wii U but finished it on the Switch. I've, since then, spent many hours exploring Hyrule, constantly discovering new things to do and plants to eat. I thoroughly enjoyed the game, but am curious as to how Tears of the Kingdom could create its own identity as opposed to being another Breath of the Wild but with flying rocks. I'm most definitely looking forward to checking it out once it releases.

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

I just finished BotW myself, after taking my time with it and trying to get the most out of the game through the first playthrough. I'm almost tempted to try springing for the DLC but considering I've been going a bit wild with purchasing discounted games for the Switch, I figure it's time to actually start giving some of them a try. The time period between now and TotK's release should give me plenty opportunity to do just that.

• Like 2

• 4 months later...

I recently picked up another switch after watching the latest Nintendo direct and seeing that Tears of the Kingdom is finally going to be released this year Im excited to get back into that world again.  I also pre-ordered Metroid Prime Remaster, Advance wars, Octopath Traveler 2, and Kirby Return to Dreamland deluxe.  Its a great time to be a Nintendo fan.

• Like 1

On 9/13/2022 at 7:48 PM, Atariboy said:

Trailer reconfirms that it's still Breath of the Wild 2 at heart. Given how great that one is, I'm happy to see that there hasn't been a major shift behind the scenes and that we don't have to wait long to play it.

All I wanted out of a sequel was a fresh area to explore and hopefully a traditional story with typical Zelda dungeon progression. While I think I've always preferred the overworld exploration (So Breath of the Wild was right up my alley), I love both aspects of Zelda and want to see both areas better satisfied with the sequel. I want the huge overworld full of areas to explore and sidequests, but also the huge dungeons and story progression.

Not a bad Direct. Zelda, Pilotwings 64 in HD, and the never localized Fatal Frame port is getting a 2nd chance at life on the Switch (And hopefully other platforms). And I'm looking forward to Microsoft's take on Goldeneye (versus the emulated N64 original that the Switch is getting).

I missed the Fatal Frame part, which part of the series is coming out?

Fatal Frame: Mask of the Lunar Eclipse is getting a multiplatform release on all the usual suspects. It previously was a Nintendo Wii exclusive in Japan and recipient of a well known fan-made English localization patch (Which at the time didn't even need a homebrewed Wii in order to get up and running, although I think they patched out that loophole in subsequent OS revisions so these days you do need the Homebrew Channel installed to lift the region lock and get the localization up and running).

It was going to be localized at the time by I think Nintendo of Europe (which would've made it more likely I think that Nintendo of America would've considered it for release), but they quickly backtracked and cancelled it. So this will be the first chance most western Fatal Frame fans have at experiencing this entry.

Afterwards all we're missing here in North America is the Wii remake of Fatal Frame II that added a new camera perspective with a behind the shoulder viewpoint much like Resident Evil 4 (versus the fixed perspective camera of the PS2 original like classic PS1 Resident Evil games or the optional 1st person mode of the Xbox port). This one did see a PAL release on the Nintendo Wii, but was famously was passed over by NOA for a North American release in 2012 (despite the availability of an English localization thanks to NOE) at a time when Wii software releases were virtually dried up and the backwards compatible Wii U was still months away.

Edited by Atariboy

My only concern is that TotK comes out right when the bars I manage open for the summer season, so I'm not going to be able to play it much at launch. Time-wise, though, it'll take me a lot longer to finish that way, so I guess I'll get my extra 10 bucks out of it!

Edited by WavyGravy
  • Like 1

• 1 month later...

This video dropped earlier today, showing off some of the new gameplay mechanics and special abilities in TOTK. Looks like they took the idea of experimentation from BOTW and ran with it. Can't wait for this game to release.

• Like 4

• 1 month later...

I’ve just finished the wind temple, and while it’s certainly nice to see “traditional” dungeons make a comeback it still focuses mostly on the new gimmicks and the puzzles themselves are nowhere near as intricate as Zelda games of the past. The game just barely manages to avoid being too repetitive to be enjoyable for me. 

Oh, and my personal distaste for dark underworlds doesn’t help with the experience either.

If all you care about is the story, then there are a plethora of very well made BotW story summaries available on YouTube. And to be honest, so far, I don’t think TotK’s story relies on its predecessor’s so much that it would be unplayable without having played BotW.

However, I’d still play BotW regardless because it is simply a fun game.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Sir Guntz said:

Weapons breaking, cooking food and walking endlessly is fun?

If that's what you think the Zelda games are all about, you haven't been paying attention.

I had TotK pre-ordered, so I've been playing it for a bit today, just taking my time and exploring the Sky Island tutorial area. Just more of the same of BotW would have been great, but these new abilities seem to add tons of opportunities to experiment. Really enjoying this so far...and the real game hasn't even started for me yet.

12 hours ago, Sir Guntz said:

Weapons breaking, cooking food and walking endlessly is fun?

Sure.

Weapon durability is a necessary mechanic in a game like botw. Are you suggesting that it would be more interesting to just find the most op weapon from the start and stick with it for the entire game?

Personally I consider cooking fascinating at worst. Mixing shit around to see what would result in certain dishes is fun, and if you don’t like it, you can just stuff together whatever seems rational and you get a huge supply of free hearts.

Guess what fast travel points are for.

• Like 2