IGNORED

The Callisto Protocol

neogeo1982

18 hours ago, glazball said:

Dead Space

I'm cautiously optimistic. Motive is the same studio that implemented Star Cards and almost ruined Battlefront completely. Though Squadrons made me like Star Wars again with good combat and VR support. So I'm hoping for Dead Space too.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Has anyone been playing this?  It's on my list for Santa so I hope to dive into it after the holidays.  However, I've seen a few (non-professional) reviews that complain about the gameplay.  I suspect they are being whiny and the game is fine.  I'm certainly eager to hear opinions from anyone here who is playing it!

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

I’ve put a few hours into Callisto and so far it feels a bit too much like Dead Space.  The graphics look sharp but combat has been somewhat scarce and I’ve spent most of my time scurrying through airducts and shimmying through tight quarters.  I hope it will pick up a bit more, but it definitely starts off a bit slow.

Also, I can’t get it out of my head that the protagonist, Jacob, looks a lot like the ex-CEO of Twitter, Jack Dorsey:

2094285F-C102-4EEA-AFB6-4CAE75E85FB6.jpeg

F48A51C2-815A-4F60-976E-1E64B7CCF8B8.jpeg

Edited by glazball
  • Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Finished this game yesterday and my quick capsule review:  Dead Space did it better.

Combat in Callisto is not very solid.  The early complainers weren't being whiny (or they were, and I'm being whiny too) because there is just something off about combat in CP.

I remember getting a trophy in the first Dead Space where you are only allowed to use the main plasma gun that you start with.  In that game, you defeat enemies by blasting off their limbs and that trophy told me that the game must be doable from start to finish with only the weapon you start with.  That made the combat feel very sharp and almost surgical, imo.

The devs of CP had to make combat different out of necessity I suppose, and the game suffers for it.  My biggest complaint is evading.  If an enemy is approaching, you simply hold left or right (no timing required) and Jacob will dodge.  At first, that sounds ok.  Not having to time a dodge helps avoid attacks really easily.  The problem begins when you start fighting more and more enemies.  For instance, let's say you are low on health and you want to run to the side of the room where you see a health pack.  If you are holding left or right at all to move that direction, and an enemy swings at you, Jacob will stop in his tracks to dodge (again, because no timing is required) and the camera swings back around to the enemy.  It can be frustrating and just feels sloppy.

I certainly didn't hate the game - the graphics are really nice - but I would also not suggest paying $70 for it.  It certainly made me want to revisit the upcoming remake of Dead Space, which honestly got everything right all those years ago.