IGNORED

Where can I get Geos disks?

KG7PFS

On 9/16/2022 at 12:15 PM, KG7PFS said:

Where can I get Geos for the Apple II? I prefer it on 3.5" and they don't have to be original.

I do NOT want to connect my Apple II to a PC.

Why don't you want to connect your Apple II to a modern PC?  

It's easy enough to create your own 3.5" disks from disk images using ADTPro and a serial cable, null modem and USB-to-serial adapter.

And if you have an Uthernet II card on your Apple II you don't even need a physical connection.

Edited by Baldrick
  • Like 1

Baldrick, Please do not waste my time. I don't have or want the PC hardware required. Every time I ask a question like this, people try to ram pc's down my throat. I had enough of that in the 90's. I said no pc's. That is final. I shouldn't have to say it again. If you can't answer a question without telling me to do what I already said I didn't want to, don't answer at all.

Edited by KG7PFS
  • Like 2
  • Haha 1
  • Sad 1

23 hours ago, magnusfalkirk said:

I have copies of just about all the available GEOS programs in 3.5 disk images on my Mac. Let me see what I can do about tansferring them to real disks so I can send them to you.

Thank you! Let me know how much and where to send the money.

7 hours ago, Baldrick said:

Why don't you want to connect your Apple II to a modern PC?

Whatever the reason being I'm sure it makes sense to the OP. Incomprehensible to us? Maybe.

7 hours ago, Baldrick said:

It's easy enough to create your own 3.5" disks from disk images using ADTPro and a serial cable, null modem and USB-to-serial adapter.

And if you have an Uthernet II card on your Apple II you don't even need a physical connection.

Easy enough, yup. It's a simple skill every self-respecting Apple II hobbyist should have in their toolbox.

Having said that, I remember the first time I tried ADTPRO. I was all over the place and couldn't get shit to work. But I revisited it again later, read the docs, and suddenly things just fell into place and worked right. It was quite rewarding to have made my first disk image, and 2x rewarding to have transferred stuff "trapped" on the Apple side of things to PC. Felt like a million bucks!

Or get some kind of floppy disk/drive emulator and make them yourself. Plus then you have the added flexibility to not have to rely on physical media (and other people). Of course then you would still need a modern computer to load the images on the emulator. But you would have far more flexibility and be self sufficient. 

And the response to baldrick is a bit uncalled for. Give a man a fish, feed him for a day. Teach him how to fish, feed him for life certainly comes to mind. And I second Keatah's point, It is a simple skill that any Apple II hobbyist should have.

1 hour ago, nick3092 said:

And the response to baldrick is a bit uncalled for.

Not really. I said I didn't want to use a PC. Why start an argument? The only PC I have is put away somewhere in storage and I don't care where. I DO NOT want the vile thing on my 8-bit network. Yes, I know, if I were to waste what little space I have on it, I could transfer files to the other computers. I learned to dislike PC's as soon as I started using them and it it only got worse in the 90's, when everyone talked about running out of space on unbeleivably massive hard drives, needing more memory when they already had megabytes, etc., and the peice of garbage crashed constantly. But if I didn't throw away my useful, reliable "old" computer, and replace it with this junk, I wasn' even a second class citizen. Bunch of idiots. I never wanted their trash and I still don't. 

• Like 1

And the response to baldrick is a bit uncalled for.

This is how these threads tend to go:

OP: "I want to do x."

FP: "You should do y."

As someone who has tired of fending off these helpful suggestions, I feel like a smoker constantly being told I should not smoke and have become rather sensitive to the advice.  While he response may have been kurt and not how I would have responded, I completely understand and saw no problem with it.  I might give @Baldrick the benefit of the doubt, that perhaps he was genuinely curious about why @KG7PFS was taking his chosen route, but at the same time it was kind-of spelled out, implicit in the OP.

Give a man a fish, feed him for a day.

C'mon, man.  If I need a screen door installed on my house, should I not be able to have someone do it for me without facing an existential moral dilemma?

2 hours ago, nick3092 said:

And I second Keatah's point, It is a simple skill that any Apple II hobbyist should have.

Opinion.  I have these skills, and by no means should anyone else be forced to invest in, develop, or possess them.  I use physical media with my main systems and I happily provide physical media if someone needs it.  This is very much how it was back-in-the-day and it need not change.  Both ecosystems can exist simultaneously.

While an Apple II, Commodore 64, TI-99/4A, Atari 8-bit, &c. hobbyist may benefit from this skill set, none of them need it.

I remember back in the 90s when I was banned from some places for asking about UAE or emulation in general.  I was shunned for wanting to integrate "modern" computers with my favorite 8- or 16-bit systems.  Now the tables have turned and I find it equally unsettling.  If you want to chase people away from our hobbies, away from offering something to our communities, then, by all means, please continue to pass judgement upon those who are not on your level.

2 hours ago, nick3092 said:

But you would have far more flexibility and be self sufficient. 

Not necessarily.  Perhaps when someone asks about x disk image file, I should say, "pshaw, you can just get it on torrent or ftp, idiot, stop asking."  We used to ask around our groups and friends for various things in the olden days, and there is nothing wrong with asking now.  If someone asks about a topic, we are not quick to shove them off to Google -- though maybe to point them at the FAQ where the question has been asked and answered ad-naseum.

At the end of it all, I do not think either @Baldrick nor @KG7PFS meant any offense with their comments to each other.  They just occupy difference places in the same state, and both are fully capable of supporting their positions.  Though, while I have never considered PCs to be "vile," I admit a certain amount of growing disdain for them :D

• Like 3

PCs are a remarkably versatile and supportive tool for the 8-bit hobby. In fact they are the saviors and maintainers of it. PC's are the backbone of every serious (and not so serious) hobbyist today. PCs are permanently a part of vintage gaming & classic computing. Inseparable.

Without them and their derivative technologies and infrastructure we wouldn't have modern flash storage solutions. No modern add-ons. No modern display connectivity. No modern archives - from which disk images (and fresh disks) can be made. And certainly no contemporary homebrew games, because developers want modern compilers, modern debuggers, modern emulators. Tools capable of doing what it takes. PCs will also help you maintain and repair your existing classic hardware even!

Edited by Keatah

26 minutes ago, OLD CS1 said:

Though, while I have never considered PCs to be "vile," I admit a certain amount of growing disdain for them :D

Disdain may eventually become disgust. Then revultion. (I'm pretty sure I spelled that wrong.) Spend a few years with people who otherwise demonstrate hostility to intelligence constantly trying to force them on you and you may learn to hate them like I do. I consider it justice - ok, revenge too - that PC's are becomming obsolete.

1 hour ago, Keatah said:

PCs are a remarkably versatile and supportive tool for the 8-bit hobby. In fact they are the saviors and maintainers of it. PC's are the backbone of every serious (and not so serious) hobbyist today. PCs are permanently a part of vintage gaming & classic computing. Inseparable.

Without them and their derivative technologies and infrastructure we wouldn't have modern flash storage solutions. No modern add-ons. No modern display connectivity. No modern archives - from which disk images (and fresh disks) can be made. And certainly no contemporary homebrew games, because developers want modern compilers, modern debuggers, modern emulators. Tools capable of doing what it takes. PCs will also help you maintain and repair your existing classic hardware even!

I'll counter your PC comment with a Mac one. I had to use PCs in the Air Force for about the last 10 years of my 20 year career and wasn't real thrilled with them. I've used Apple II's since 1980, starting with an Apple II+, and now Macs since about 1995, stsrting with a Performa 6115CD. I prefer Apple II's and Macs over a PC any day. I think most of what you say we got because of PCs actually started on the Mac, but I'll admit that I could be wrong. If the OP doesn't like PCs, that his business and anyone trying to tell him he should do otherwise should just stop. I won't even try to tell him to use a Mac, he apparently doesn't like ANY modern computers.

I thought when I told him I had the GEOS programs and would see about putting them on 3.5 disks for him that would be the end of the discussion. It looks like I was dead wrong as i

t seems that a lot of people decided they had to chime in with their OPINION about this subject. Well you know what they say about opinions.

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, magnusfalkirk said:

he apparently doesn't like ANY modern computers.

Let's just say I prefer the classics. Macs were always more reliable than PC's. I use a modern phone with a PC-like UI and external keyboard and monitor. It hasn't crashed yet.

Again, thanks for the disks!

PCs are what drove the economies of scale to where we can have great technology at dirt cheap prices. Affordable prices. I looked into Macs early and wanted to stay in the Apple ecosphere, starting with the 68K original Mac and onward. But had to say no. Mainly because of cost and available software.

PC, Microsoft, Intel, Windows, DOS, and all that goes into a PC were just about barely affordable to a budding college student at the time, but nevertheless it was doable. And that's what counts. And there was just so much cool, practical, useful, software on PC. Something for everyone.

Personally I don't give a rat's ass what computer someone uses. It is a little backward that the correct tool for the task at hand would be rejected. But hey! Who am I to say..

13 hours ago, KG7PFS said:

Let's just say I prefer the classics. Macs were always more reliable than PC's. I use a modern phone with a PC-like UI and external keyboard and monitor. It hasn't crashed yet.

Again, thanks for the disks!

Are you saying "classic Mac's" were more reliable than "classic PC's"  (i.e., the 68000 Mac's and the 8088'ish PC's)?

7 hours ago, hwrd said:

Are you saying "classic Mac's" were more reliable than "classic PC's"  (i.e., the 68000 Mac's and the 8088'ish PC's)?

68000 Macs had a reputation for being much more reliable than Windows 3.x-9x PCs. MS-DOS was stable, but consider the size of MS-DOS vs MSX-DOS. They are supposed to be nearly identical, but the 8088 version is ten times the size of the 80 version. WHAT THE BLANK IS IN THERE???

Good greif.

All I wanted was the Apple versions of my two favorite Commodore application packages. I had two choises. One was to dig though a wall to wall, floor to ceiling stack of boxes to find my Windows XP UMPC; downgrade it's operating system; order a cable; then try to figure out what to do with it.

The other choise was to just order the program. Much easier. Appleworks and the Broderbund/Springboard/Mindscape applications are easy to find. Geos and Jane are not. So I asked a simple question. Someone just had to start an argument.

On 9/18/2022 at 1:45 PM, KG7PFS said:

Baldrick, Please do not waste my time. I don't have or want the PC hardware required. Every time I ask a question like this, people try to ram pc's down my throat. I had enough of that in the 90's. I said no pc's. That is final. I shouldn't have to say it again. If you can't answer a question without telling me to do what I already said I didn't want to, don't answer at all.

Use a modern Mac then with ADTPro.  Whatever...

The term "PC" was meant to be generic to modern hardware.  

I just made a simple suggestion because I didn't know what your modern computing situation was.  

On 9/18/2022 at 6:05 PM, Keatah said:

PCs are permanently a part of vintage gaming & classic computing. Inseparable.

Hardly.

Now don't get me wrong.  I actually quite like 386 and earlier PC gear and am probably going to build or buy a setup in the near future.

But... one does not need a PC to enjoy vintage / retro gaming and computing.  Heck, I do quite a bit with my Apple //e Platinum and an android phone and or Raspberry Pi.

On that note, I love the Raspberry Pi 400 computer.  It is just great for all the basics one would use a PC for, such as downloading disk images and getting them onto whatever disk emulation makes sense.  Very highly recommended.  

And if a person wants to, both the Android phone and Raspi 400 can drive one of those USB floppy drive units still sold today.

The RetroPi software is nice to have loaded and at the ready too.  Built in keyboard is a nice bonus.  For a while now I have been gaming with my granddaughter on a Raspberry Pi 4.  We are doing arcade and snes, but that all can change.  The 400 is a great upgrade.  

In any case, the PC can be excised.  It does not even hurt.

On 9/24/2022 at 6:57 PM, potatohead said:

Hardly.

But... one does not need a PC to enjoy vintage / retro gaming and computing.

Perhaps I should expand the definition of "PC" beyond Wintel to mean any modern computer. I can't imagine doing any vintage computer activity without support of modern hardware.

Having said that..

On 9/24/2022 at 6:57 PM, potatohead said:

On that note, I love the Raspberry Pi 400 computer.  It is just great for all the basics one would use a PC for, such as downloading disk images and getting them onto whatever disk emulation makes sense.  Very highly recommended.

That's an interesting little system. Wonder if it could handle virtualizing XP with enough fidelity/speed to replace a 1.7GHz Pentium M? I'm also assuming this is super energy efficient?