IGNORED

The switch lite among other nintendo systems defeated it’s own purpose

johannesmutlu

1,While the nintendo switch has been stated as a “hybrid game console” wich it actually is by switching into 3 different modes,handheld,table top and home modes by attaching or detaching controllers to it,but at the otherhand i sometimes can hardly believe that the switch is an actual game console since it is so small and since other devices like certain smartphones can also be hooked up to a tv into different operation modes and i do sometimes believe that the switch is in reality just a portible system but that nintendo just purposly overhyped it as a hybrid system just as a marketing strategy,

but if we all just love it because of that well why not?

BUT here comes my point the switch lite is clearly a handheld because it no longer has detachible controllers on it so it no longer can switch into different modes and some games aren’t even compatible with it,it it besically lacks everything what makes the switch to be a switch thus defeating it’s own purpose why nintendo??

2,the nintendo 3DS was clearly made in the hopes to integrate stereoscopic 3D to the masses,BUT while the 3DS did sold well however most gamers just sadly turned off the 3D feature,

then nintendo responded by introducing the 2DS for gamers on a lower budget who don’t care about 3D,BUT my point is that again that revision defeats it’s own purpose,being able to show 3D and some games become unplayible since they were not only completely made with 3D in mind but also does require it in order to get futher into it,

my other point is that it could,ve cause confusion since it’s revision was called 2DS,why nintendo?

3,we all know that the wii became an instant success along with online play and downloading games among other content from the eshop,

however the wii mini does lack online capability,it has no sd card or memory card slots and lacks gamecube support etc,, why nintendo??? Because it defeats it’s own purpose,

because it is not much smaller then the wii and it is also colored red,i don’t understand that as if they said “we don’t care and no you don’t have to buy our games and you don’t have to play online because we don’t want that” with that mind set why not calling it the wii kids and why not painted it light blue or pink instead?? Because that would,ve well with it along with it’s lack of features,

4,the new 3Ds for the follow up of the 3DS for wich i believe it was an oke success as well,alltrough it’s tiny circle pad on the right was really unnecessary,BUT again the new 2DS defeated it’s own purpose,to be stereoscopic 3D and with the same reason, that some new 3DS games are become unplayible because of requiring 3D to be able to solve certain puzzles or finding the exit in a certain level etc,,,  why nintendo ??

sure Nintendo,you based your revisions of certain products based on the usage of gamers by removing certain features in what becomes obsolete & unnecessary for them but also to make it cheaper,but still i just don’t understand why going sooo far to render them to defeat it’s own purpose,

am mean how about making a 3th revision of the snes by removing those multi scrolling background features of it with the reason “to avoid that certain people will get’s dizzy from it” but that will defeats it’s purpose to be 16bit,

or howabout a revision of the gameboycolor wich contains a B&W lcd screen instead with the reason “to calm down certain gamers wich do otherwise getting too restless  and getting eyestrain from those overbrighted colors” but in such case that will defeats it’s own purpose ,to be in color.

sony and microsoft were guilty by doing the same thing with their revisions of certain system by making them digital only so you could no longer insert physical copy’s of games into them thus defeating it’s own main purpose,why???

now going back to the switch,yeah it’s a game console if we should believe nintendo with portibility as an option,but then why discontinuing your line up of new 3DS systems? why not doing that after coming up with a true successor of it???

sure the hybrid switch will save them the need to make 2 versions of each game for both systems but still,,,

but if nintendo symbolically leaved the portible gaming world after discontinuing their new 3DS,then some other competitor should now grab their chance and take it over from nintendo,with their handheld gaming device and play monopoly all along, since nintendo is no longer focusing on portible gaming anymore,not in general but atleast in pseudo form.

Edited by johannesmutlu
  • Confused 2

11 hours ago, CapitanClassic said:

Different products for different people.

Switch - $299

Switch Lite - $199

Switch OLED - $349

Basically that. The Switch Lite is for people that do not want or need TV play, and they save money in the process. Options are a good thing.

7 hours ago, Steven Pendleton said:

To be fair, Nintendo's marketing team is one of the best in the games industry, judging by how brainwashed Nintendo's userbase tends to be.

Nintendo tends to make top quality stuff. Instead of acting old and jaded and assuming their fans are braindead zombies, perhaps consider--and this may come off as a wild idea to some--that people might just enjoy their products, because Nintendo tends to make good products.

What a concept! :roll:

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

5 hours ago, Austin said:

Basically that. The Switch Lite is for people that do not want or need TV play, and they save money in the process. Options are a good thing.

Nintendo tends to make top quality stuff. Instead of acting old and jaded and assuming their fans are braindead zombies, perhaps consider--and this may come off as a wild idea to some--that people might just enjoy their products, because Nintendo tends to make good products.

No kidding. With how some haters rag on Nintendo and complain about every last thing they do or make, you'd think that the company's existence is a threat to their manhood or something. I get having favorites or just in general not liking certain things, but their need to constantly express it in a forum dedicated to the thing they hate shows some underlying issues.

• Like 2

7 hours ago, roots.genoa said:

Yes, and also judging by how Nintendo haters hate them as if they were the devil incarnate. 🙂

I'm actually partially referring to those that claim to love Nintendo and yet complain about everything Nintendo does but then buy all their stuff anyway. It's not logical or rational, but that does assume that humans are rational, logical beings in the first place, and we aren't. I do not understand why people go about complaining about Nintendo so much and then buying all of their games and then saying said games are garbage and then repeating the cycle, but apparently that's what people do.

6 hours ago, Austin said:

You misunderstand me; Nintendo does tend to make good things. Probably. I don't know; I don't buy or play their games for the most part, just their hardware, but those games that I have played in the past are generally decent, if a bit plain, and of course Super Metroid is the best game ever made. I am referring to those whose actions contradict their own words; see above, or just go spend the next few years of your life on the GameFAQs Switch board and you'll see what I mean.

7 minutes ago, Steven Pendleton said:

You misunderstand me; Nintendo does tend to make good things. Probably. I don't know; I don't buy or play their games for the most part, just their hardware, but those games that I have played in the past are generally decent, if a bit plain, and of course Super Metroid is the best game ever made. I am referring to those whose actions contradict their own words; see above, or just go spend the next few years of your life on the GameFAQs Switch board and you'll see what I mean.

You'll find people like that in every fandom, Nintendo by no means has a monopoly on that type of fan behavior. 

• Like 2

It always gets me when I hear "but it defeats the whole purpose" of whatever system we're talking about.

Ultimately the purpose of a game system is to provide entertainment by enabling the playing of videogames. If a Nintendo Switch that doesn't switch or a 3DS that only displays in 2D still accomplishes that job for Nintendo's customers, they're both fulfilling the purpose that they were built to serve.

Edited by Atariboy
  • Like 3
  • Sad 1

ah, it's one of 'those threads' so I see where this one is goin'. :D

My two cents (which is really 1/4th of a cent adjusted for inflation) is that different Switch SKUs fit different needs.  Mrs. Digdug and I both have v2 'regular' Switches and Switch Lites, fwiw.

We go to a lot of doctor appointments for her, I still travel reasonably often.  The Lite is WAY more convenient for us than our normal-sized Switches for travelling. So far, knock on wood, neither one has seen issues with the sticks or buttons; they see pretty heavy use.   For a 'small' device, it also doesn't kill my hands to use for the time I play on it. 

Obviously, you're going to get a different experience playing either docked with a Pro Controller with a regular Switch or using like Hori grips, but I think the Lite still has a niche it fits.

• Like 4

On 9/17/2022 at 3:44 AM, CapitanClassic said:

Sony basically did the same thing

PSP Vita - $249

Playstation TV - $100

,why sony,

On 9/19/2022 at 6:55 PM, digdugnate said:

ah, it's one of 'those threads' so I see where this one is goin'. :D

My two cents (which is really 1/4th of a cent adjusted for inflation) is that different Switch SKUs fit different needs.  Mrs. Digdug and I both have v2 'regular' Switches and Switch Lites, fwiw.

We go to a lot of doctor appointments for her, I still travel reasonably often.  The Lite is WAY more convenient for us than our normal-sized Switches for travelling. So far, knock on wood, neither one has seen issues with the sticks or buttons; they see pretty heavy use.   For a 'small' device, it also doesn't kill my hands to use for the time I play on it. 

Obviously, you're going to get a different experience playing either docked with a Pro Controller with a regular Switch or using like Hori grips, but I think the Lite still has a niche it fits.

Yup the Mrs is considering getting a Switch Lite. She almost exclusively plays in handheld mode. So the games she plays wouldn't be a problem missing tabletop.

• Like 2

If you're going to pony up, find a deal, coupon, sale, trade something in, go for the OLED if you're largely a handheld player.  It's not just the screen, which is a huge perk, it's the overlooked stuff that's just amazing as much.  The molding of it has been redone entirely, it's no longer brittle, thin, and flimsy, it's quite more sturdy and resistant to heat degradation and general use.  The speakers are of a higher quality and better aimed, they create a far louder, clearer, smoother presence that's very easily heard side by side with the original model (and lite too.)  The stand if you like to prop it up, full back, very strong and sturdy compared to the bendy flimsy popsicle stick crap the old one has.  Trust me, you buying a non-lite model are doing yourself a big fail buying the standard system.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

8 hours ago, MrBeefy said:
On 9/17/2022 at 1:44 AM, CapitanClassic said:

Sony basically did the same thing

PSP Vita - $249

Playstation TV - $100

Why Sony

According to Sony, the major features appear to being able to play handheld games on your TV. Similar to Super Gameboy, Gameboy Player (GC), Android Phone to TV adapter or Screen Share/Mirror, etc.

• PlayStation 4 remote play: As with PS Vita, PS TV supports PS4 remote play and Wireless Controller (DUALSHOCK 3 or DUALSHOCK 4). This will allow PS4 owners in the living room to continue playing a game on a PS TV system in their bedroom. You can also enjoy most of your PS4 games on PS TV as if you were playing it on your PS4 system*.
  • PlayStation Now: Once PlayStation Now is rolled out across the PAL region, PS TV users will be able to comfortably enjoy PlayStation 3 games via streaming.
  • A vast line-up of software titles: PS TV offers a huge library of PS Vita**, PSP and classic PS One titles. You’ll be able to enjoy all of these titles using a DUALSHOCK 3 or DUALSHOCK 4 controller.

Sadly the PS TV was a firmware gimped sham.  They sold it as a way to do the vita library on the big screen, yet they locked out a large amount of games, many with no rational reason at all given the facts.  Uncharted is a good one to knock, sure it used the touch of the vita rear, but their own console controller have the touch mounts too...so?  I was primed to get that PS TV then saw the kill list.  I had the hacker whitelist shown to me that made all the non-sense exclusions playable and those that legit shouldn't were still cut off.  Problem was, it was a soft patch, a hack you'd have to re-patch each time you started up or nothing would work and done through like a rigged email account or some nonsense.  Maybe they hacked it in recent times since, but now the lame thing got expensive for some reason. 😕

12 minutes ago, Tanooki said:

Sadly the PS TV was a firmware gimped sham.  They sold it as a way to do the vita library on the big screen, yet they locked out a large amount of games, many with no rational reason at all given the facts.  Uncharted is a good one to knock, sure it used the touch of the vita rear, but their own console controller have the touch mounts too...so?  I was primed to get that PS TV then saw the kill list.  I had the hacker whitelist shown to me that made all the non-sense exclusions playable and those that legit shouldn't were still cut off.  Problem was, it was a soft patch, a hack you'd have to re-patch each time you started up or nothing would work and done through like a rigged email account or some nonsense.  Maybe they hacked it in recent times since, but now the lame thing got expensive for some reason. 😕

Uncharted on Vita requires use of the system's camera. That makes it unplayable on Vita TV, hack or not.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Tanooki said:

A lot of titles were blacklisted due to controls and lack of touch screen, I guess.   Others denied explanation.

It was really subpar for a Sony product.   Sure it's feature list looks impressive:  Plays PS1/PSP/Vita/PS3 (via PS Now) and PS4 games via remote play.   But it's not immediately apparent that it's only a subset of games for those systems.   When it came to US they pushed the Remote Play aspect and downplayed everything else.   That's why I bought mine.   This was before the PC remote play app came out.

Now because of the PC app, I don't really need it anymore and have thought about cashing in on the inflated prices (funny, this used to go for as low as $40 when they were trying to get rid of it!)   I have sometimes taken it on trips and hooked it up to hotel TVs to play a few of the Vita games I have on it since it's nice and compact.

• Like 1

PS TV emulated the touch screen (it was a controller command and a simulated touch screen would pop up on your TV). It was the other features (back panel, camera) that were an issue, but a very small amount of games used those so that wasn't a big deal. It was the games being arbitrarily allowed or not allowed on the platform that absolutely killed the concept. The integration of the PSN store was horrible too. Some original PSP games worked on it, but others were not compatible yet the store would still let you purchase them (I regrettably bought Dracula X Chronicles digitally, and nope.. it was not whitelisted, and of course the store listing didn't say it wouldn't work on the PS TV). I paid full price for the system when it launched and it was a supremely disappointing experience. Sony really botched it out of the gate, never really improved it, then dumped it outright. Such a waste of potential.

• Like 1