IGNORED

The switch lite among other nintendo systems defeated it’s own purpose

johannesmutlu

2 hours ago, Austin said:

The integration of the PSN store was horrible too. Some original PSP games worked on it, but others were not compatible yet the store would still let you purchase them (I regrettably bought Dracula X Chronicles digitally, and nope.. it was not whitelisted, and of course the store listing didn't say it wouldn't work on the PS TV).

Then there were other PSP games that were compatible, yet couldn't be purchased or even downloaded directly from the PSN store on the PSTV. I had to transfer one or two compatible PSP downloads from a PS3 to my PSTV via USB cable to work around that since Sony in their infinite wisdom wouldn't let me download the installation file directly.

I believe the compatibility list out there used to even show a game or two that worked on a PSTV, but which could only be placed on the system by first relocating your PSTV's memory card to a handheld Vita where you'd download the game before transferring the memory card back to the PSTV. From there it worked fine afterwards, but it sure leaves one wondering just what the heck they were thinking with how they set it all up.

I quite like my PSTV, but I'm grateful I bought mine when it was being clearanced for $25 at Walmart (A great deal even if one just wanted the brand new Dual Shock 3 that it came with). If I had paid full price for one at launch, I sure wouldn't of been happy that it basically ended up a dedicated TxK machine and I'm sure I'd consider it my most disappointing videogame purchase.

Instead I view it as a fascinating little machine that has seen a fair bit of use, even though it had so much wasted potential (Even just as a streaming box like Sony positioned it as back before Smart TV's and Roku and such were as widespread was crippled with the bizarre absence of apps for services as ubiquitous as Netflix).

Edited by Atariboy
  • Like 1

On 9/17/2022 at 10:44 AM, CapitanClassic said:

Different products for different people.

Switch - $299

Switch Lite - $199

Switch OLED - $349

Sony basically did the same thing

PSP Vita - $249

Playstation TV - $100

Playstation tv sucks because it was incompatible with many games,becides why was it not called psvita tv instead?

also why did sony not came up with a second revision of the psvita with tv out? Like they did with the psp 2000 model,

also they came up with the psp go but sadly it was a digital only device so you couldn’t play your physical copies of games on it and it costed even $30 more then the psp2000 model so hahaha what a joke,

then there was the psp streets wich did felt flimsy like a chinese knock off,it had no wifi capability but you still could play all your physical psp games on it and it also did not suffer from interlacing issues from the psp 3000 model,

so that’s that.

On 9/18/2022 at 5:25 AM, Steven Pendleton said:

I'm actually partially referring to those that claim to love Nintendo and yet complain about everything Nintendo does but then buy all their stuff anyway. It's not logical or rational, but that does assume that humans are rational, logical beings in the first place, and we aren't. I do not understand why people go about complaining about Nintendo so much and then buying all of their games and then saying said games are garbage and then repeating the cycle, but apparently that's what people do.

You misunderstand me; Nintendo does tend to make good things. Probably. I don't know; I don't buy or play their games for the most part, just their hardware, but those games that I have played in the past are generally decent, if a bit plain, and of course Super Metroid is the best game ever made. I am referring to those whose actions contradict their own words; see above, or just go spend the next few years of your life on the GameFAQs Switch board and you'll see what I mean.

You know what i also do believe? Altrough i might be totally wrong about this but,,those peoples who hate or love nintendo while still buying all their products and games for it while complaining about it,may just like to talk about it on youtube to get more subscribers & likes and earn money,they will come with their own oppinions about those nintendo products & games,describe why they hate or love them or only love their first products and games for it,

personally i like nintendo’s older products & games, so consider me a stoneage gamer who only loves the nes,snes and gameboy/color but don’t care about the N64,gamecube,nintendo dsi or the wii despite i do also own those systems as well,

now if nintendo wants me to fork over some money to buy their switch,then they have to release all their arcade games on the switch online service because i want them all.

9 hours ago, johannesmutlu said:

now if nintendo wants me to fork over some money to buy their switch,then they have to release all their arcade games on the switch online service because i want them all.

Did you choose an impossible condition on purpose? Most Nintendo arcade games have been released as single purchases in Hamster's Arcade Archives series. Releasing them in the NSO would be very rude to Hamster... 😑 And if you meant that some games like Popeye are not available, well it won't happen because they don't have the license anymore.

If you don't want a Switch, that's your choice, but don't look for stupid excuses. However I suspect that like a lot of people here, you actually want one but have difficulties admitting it for some reason.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

Most of his posts usually are loaded with impossible choices and stupid ones before something is OK or good enough, just nice to see someone else other than me calling it out for once.  He sat there in that post riding on people for attention whoring on stuff like youtube saying I hate this but I got to have it with Nintendo because it means more subs, clicks and coins -- coincidentally his same MO on the posts going on here since the get go.

• Sad 1

6 hours ago, roots.genoa said:

Did you choose an impossible condition on purpose? Most Nintendo arcade games have been released as single purchases in Hamster's Arcade Archives series. Releasing them in the NSO would be very rude to Hamster... 😑 And if you meant that some games like Popeye are not available, well it won't happen because they don't have the license anymore.

Hamster is cool anyway, and they deserve my money. And everyone else's, for that matter.

• Like 3

4 hours ago, Steven Pendleton said:

Hamster is cool anyway, and they deserve my money. And everyone else's, for that matter.

I agree with this fully, and not just on Switch but in general.  I've picked up a few of their ACA Neo Geo releases for my iphone, not just Switch stuff.  There are some good titles that function well enough given credit feeding is ok for use on the go.  Neo Turf Masters, some puzzles, metal slug(s), platformers, sports, even brawlers like Burning Fight.  1on1 fighters, definitely not unless you're a rarer breed that can be that precise using sketchy touch controls, or carry a little controller with you everywhere. ;)

• Like 1

I love Hamster's work.

My only real complaint with Hamster is their decision to only bring the ACA: Neo Geo spin-off line to Xbox and Windows. The main Arcade Archives line remains a PS4/NS exclusive instead of being fully multi-platform like the Neo Geo lineup. Was one of the reasons I ended up buying a PS4 as my first system from the last-generation, which was the opposite of my usual buying habits.

I do dislike how the blur filter is enabled by default on Arcade Archives downloads. But it's easily disabled the first time you fire up each game, so at worst it's only a minor quibble that's easily rectified.

Edited by Atariboy
  • Like 1

Oooh yeah I hadn't thought of that.  I'd buy another release of the games i have on Switch for Steam/GoG just for long term use without the walled garden.  First up honestly would be Super Dodgeball, then probably both the Punchouts which never would happen due to Nintendo. ;)

I'm getting impatient with the not bringing League Bowling or Baseball STars 2 to IOS -- day one purchase.

Edited by Tanooki

22 hours ago, roots.genoa said:

If you don't want a Switch, that's your choice, but don't look for stupid excuses. However I suspect that like a lot of people here, you actually want one but have difficulties admitting it for some reason.

I can understand that the arcade game popeye will never happen on the switch due licenses expired,BUT they should atleast releast,radar scope,sherrif,monkey magic,space firebird etc,,, on the switch online service aside from other nintendo arcade games

21 hours ago, Atariboy said:

I do dislike how the blur filter is enabled by default on Arcade Archives downloads. But it's easily disabled the first time you fire up each game, so at worst it's only a minor quibble that's easily rectified.

I agree, but my biggest gripe would be the lack of savestates or rewind functions. Of course it's usually not a big issue with arcade games as long as you have infinite credits, but in some games, you restart far away from where you died. For instance I regretted getting Atomic Robo Kid on sale because it's far too hard for me. 😩

• Like 1

On 9/22/2022 at 5:11 PM, johannesmutlu said:

games, so consider me a stoneage gamer who only loves the nes,snes and gameboy/color but don’t care about the N64,gamecube,nintendo dsi or the wii despite i do also own those systems as well,

Stoneage gamer? I think you come from a time before the invention of the period.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

• 2 weeks later...
13 hours ago, ColecoGamer said:

According to Nintendo before they released the Lite, they claimed it was being released to appease people who just wanted a handheld version of the Switch, at a cheaper price. Sure, it does seem pointless, but apparently people are buying Lites for that reason alone. 

Who would have thought? 🤷 

I thought, before it was out or mentioned, it was stupid idea not giving the choice.  Not everyone especially now wants the TV, you're stuck.  TO sell a unit for 1/3 less and not have the dumb dock would have been smart from the beginning.  But when they did show off the lite and after seeing how thin and brittle the original systems crap plastic shell was, to then see this thicker, sturdy, better done frame was a very very welcome thing.  The only thing they should have done right was make ALL data transferrable and easy between systems, shared saves, every single damn game, not just most of them...because maybe cheating?  THat sucked.  I'd have bought a lite for on the go the gray or later blue one, if that were the case.  They lost a sale from me on that one as I like to use it when I do, largely in the comfort of the chair not glued to the tv.

• Like 2

For me who does most of my gaming no where near the TV, this fits the bill.  Owning my Lite got me to get a regular system which is docked for when the kids want to play. My family account allows me to backup my saves and share my purchases (though none of my older kids set up Nintendo accounts to make use of this). I like playing docked (though I can count on one hand the times I did) but the solid little portable is perfect for me. 

Nintendo did right on this IMO.

• Like 1

On 10/12/2022 at 10:29 AM, Tanooki said:

I thought, before it was out or mentioned, it was stupid idea not giving the choice.  Not everyone especially now wants the TV, you're stuck.  TO sell a unit for 1/3 less and not have the dumb dock would have been smart from the beginning.  But when they did show off the lite and after seeing how thin and brittle the original systems crap plastic shell was, to then see this thicker, sturdy, better done frame was a very very welcome thing.  The only thing they should have done right was make ALL data transferrable and easy between systems, shared saves, every single damn game, not just most of them...because maybe cheating?  THat sucked.  I'd have bought a lite for on the go the gray or later blue one, if that were the case.  They lost a sale from me on that one as I like to use it when I do, largely in the comfort of the chair not glued to the tv.

What you said, fundamentally, is my biggest gripe with Nintendo and the way this stuff is handled.  They make it a righteous pain in the ASS to transfer stuff between Switches or if you have two Switch models (like a Lite and a V2-or-LED), having to toggle between 'main Switch' systems.  It seems like it was kind of a pain when I had to move from my dead V1 Switch to my new V2 Switch a couple of years ago.

An example of this is like how I have the two Switches, one that's docked 99% of the time and my Lite, which I take travelling and on appointments and stuff.  I have to remember to make my Lite the 'main' Switch if i take it out of the house so i don't have to rely on the Internet to verify that yes, I am the person using MY account for it.  If I forget to change it back, my docked Switch I play on the couch that 99% of the time is not very useful if we lose Net and I don't want to tether my phone.  (plus you get the silly 'verifying account' popup when you launch a game on your secondary Switch.)

Cloud saves help, but it's still way unintuitive to someone that just wants to game.  I'm being dramatic, but I hate that Nintendo treats everyone like thieves and have to jump through hoops when you bought TWO of their systems to use on your account.

• Like 3

Nintendo sells refurbished Switch Lites in 3 different colors for $170 shipped. https://www.nintendo.com/store/products/nintendo-switch-lite-turquoise-refurbished/

I got one last year for the comfort alone, it’s easy to hold and it doesn’t take up much space in my bag when I’m on the move. 

I set it as my “primary” system so downloads go there first, and with cloud saves, I can easily resume progress when I feel like playing at home on my TV-based Switch system, usually party or multiplayer stuff. 

The weight of the Lite is great, the quiet (not clicky) D-pad is superior to the joycon buttons, and the battery and screen are good enough for my simple needs. 

It’s the best GameBoy ever and it makes me happy. 

• Like 2

On 10/14/2022 at 9:44 AM, Flojomojo said:

Nintendo sells refurbished Switch Lites in 3 different colors for $170 shipped. https://www.nintendo.com/store/products/nintendo-switch-lite-turquoise-refurbished/

I got one last year for the comfort alone, it’s easy to hold and it doesn’t take up much space in my bag when I’m on the move. 

I set it as my “primary” system so downloads go there first, and with cloud saves, I can easily resume progress when I feel like playing at home on my TV-based Switch system, usually party or multiplayer stuff. 

The weight of the Lite is great, the quiet (not clicky) D-pad is superior to the joycon buttons, and the battery and screen are good enough for my simple needs. 

It’s the best GameBoy ever and it makes me happy. 

I really admire how much more positive your post is without all the kvetching i do.  :)  You've touched on the really good stuff I like about my Lite.

(this is a sincere comment, not a sarcastic one)

• Haha 1

• 7 months later...

I wish i mentioned that the gameboy micro also defeats it’s own purpose for being a compatible gameboy because you can only play gameboy advance games on it but no gameboy and gamecolor games on it and whther it’s the last gameboy handheld in the series or not,i don’t care, it just makes me wonder why they didn’t call it the gameboy advance micro???

because that’s exactly what it is,now if nintendo did came up with an emulator adaptor to play physical copies og gameboy & gameboycolor games on it,then they could,ve make up for it somewhat,but they didn’t,not mention you had to replace many gba accessoires with new once as they weren’t compatible with it,yes there was the link adaptor to link it to a regular GBA but it doesn’t work on a gameboy (advance) player,

accessoires wich were straight compatible with the gameboy micro such as the kemco mp3 player or the japanese e reader etc,,, just looked silly with it🙁

thing is the gameboy micro became pretty much obsolute whether you owned a GBA sp,a regular GBA or a nintendo DS,(yes it had the headphone jack,a smaller backlight screen to make blocky gba games look more crisper on it, but that’s it)

the only reason for what i can think off why nintendo did came up with their gameboy micro was to try to catch in on the hype and the  removvible face plate craze from those smaller nokia phones back then,i remember that commercial about the gameboy micro saying ‘make it yours’ along with a sexy lady getting shown up,it found that commercial really AWESOME,but that’s it🙁

what nintendo should,ve done was make the gameboy advance look like the gameboy micro but at a larger size with the cartride at the top and make it compatible with previous gen gameboy games and game developers should,ve released 3D games as well on day 1,because i believe that would,ve be waaay more convincing to consumers that the GBA was an huge upgrade over the gameboycolor,because the original gameboy advance felt more like a toy,eventrough i was curious back then about it’s potential capabilities but i wasn’t convinced about it for real🙁

A4DF922F-C0AE-4258-834B-7FC35B70233E.jpeg