IGNORED

Sega Master System HSC - 2022 Summer Round 8 - Back to 'Nam

BydoEmpire

We're heading into the jungle for round 8 with Rambo: First Blood Part 2

119342-rambo-first-blood-part-ii-sega-ma

This round runs Sept. 19 - Oct. 2

Bonus Game: Rescue Mission (my personal favorite SMS light gun game)

Totals:

1. @Razzie.P 1,314,550 (+1)
  2. pboland 288,500
  3. BydoEmpire 32,450 (+1)
  4. @jeremiahjt 22,600 (+1)
  5. @Asaki 21,300 (+1)
  6. @fakecortex 11,000 (+1)
  7. @Dashopepper 10,700

Edited by BydoEmpire

14 hours ago, BydoEmpire said:

I just won a Rambo III cart off of ebay.  Too late for this season, but maybe another time we'll do a combined Rambo & Rambo III round.  That said, Rescue Mission is pretty awesome.

"Rambo III" is basically "Operation Wolf". At the time (1988) Sega didn't have "Operation Wolf" for their system and if you like that game, Rambo III was your only option. Remember "Operation Wolf" wasn't released for the Sega Master System until 1990. By that time many Sega gamers (including myself) moved on to the Genesis, so we never really had a "Operation Wolf" game BITD if it wasn't for "Rambo III".

• Like 2

6 hours ago, pboland said:

"Rambo III" is basically "Operation Wolf". At the time (1988) Sega didn't have "Operation Wolf" for their system and if you like that game, Rambo III was your only option. Remember "Operation Wolf" wasn't released for the Sega Master System until 1990. By that time many Sega gamers (including myself) moved on to the Genesis, so we never really had a "Operation Wolf" game BITD if it wasn't for "Rambo III".

Oh cool. I've actually got Operation Wolf, I think it's a really good port. I'm curious to see how close they are now. The Rambo III screenshots in magazines always looked awesome.

I went to play a bit of Rambo, but I couldn't get my cart to work... so instead I took a stab at Rescue Mission. I actually finished it on Normal, I don't know if I had before. It's not that hard at all, but I don't remember the ending.  The ending message was pretty cool:

image.thumb.jpeg.eab8bb1f89343aa679df2bb5695a8e26.jpeg

The two dancing soldiers are awesome:

image.thumb.jpeg.6a84b6b0909e52edc4f265f8b8c52713.jpeg

Final score: 245,800

image.thumb.jpeg.5e5bfaa8d5c6f3c6333427a90d82e499.jpeg

Edited by BydoEmpire
  • Like 2

Okay, this is what I got on RAMBO II: 286,600

286600.thumb.jpg.1545613b24df7bfe50f1913bee4469fc.jpg

This game gets really hard as you go up in levels. I cleared round 5, but 6 kicked my butt. I've only been to round 6 one other time I think.

I actually have a slightly higher score, but I died early mid level on round 6 and didn't get a picture. I still have the game running so if I play again and get to the end round screen it should show my highest score. I guess I will play one more time tonight to get the picture...

----Update----

Here's my updated picture (score: 288,500) in round 6. I had to play a round to see it because it isn't on the screen very long after you die.

288500.thumb.jpg.3f08f7eba9d809000bbc5093f8972442.jpg

I think I'm done for tonight. I'll try rescue mission this weekend.

• Like 2

45 minutes ago, pboland said:

Wow! And I thought I had a good score. :(

I'm not worthy!

Your score isn't bad at all.  I'm not 100% sure how those bonuses work, but based on what I've seen, that's pretty good for that point in the game, and when you finish Round 6, the scores jacks up to over a million.    I checked out some "full game" plays on youtube to see where my score lands, and they all seem to have about 280,000 going in to Rnd 6, and then jumps to 1,300,000 at the end.   I didn't do any point pressing or anything, so I figure yours will be about the same, if not more, if you get past that final round.

• Like 1

I finished Rambo a couple more times, but with lower scores.  And I realize why -- during my posted run, I was very careful, overly cautious and moving a bit slow at times.  I think this allowed more enemies to come into play.  As I got more comfortable, I'm rushing forward a bit, so the game's easier and quicker, but getting lower scores as a result.   Funny how the better I got, the worse my score 😁

• Haha 2

12 hours ago, Razzie.P said:

I finished Rambo a couple more times, but with lower scores.  And I realize why -- during my posted run, I was very careful, overly cautious and moving a bit slow at times.  I think this allowed more enemies to come into play.  As I got more comfortable, I'm rushing forward a bit, so the game's easier and quicker, but getting lower scores as a result.   Funny how the better I got, the worse my score 😁

Wow! I rarely can make it to round 6. I find that in rounds 5 & 6 the player is less likely to get the weapon upgrades. If you die after round 4, good luck getting your long shot and strong back.

Don’t care for this one, mainly bc it turns out I’m horrible at it haha. I just can’t get the controls right. The fact that people are beating it...woof. Looking at the demo, I can see there being potential in the two player game.

I got embarrassingly nowhere, and couldn’t hit pause fast enough to snap a pic (things only master system players say lol). 

Off to play some Rescue Mission for the bonus point. Pew pew. 

Rescue Mission -- 128,200

Pains me to say it, but not all of our boys made it home during this run  😞

but ya know... I blame leadership for this failure.  They send our rescue team in riding a hand trolley protected by a dude with a toy pistol, while the enemy has jetpacks and rocket launchers.

... this fiasco never would have happened if I was controlling John James Rambo.

RescueMission_128200.jpg.7903b95c4ba24b0f62d48de21840ac4f.jpg

• Haha 2

1 hour ago, Razzie.P said:

Rescue Mission -- 128,200

Pains me to say it, but not all of our boys made it home during this run  😞

but ya know... I blame leadership for this failure.  They send our rescue team in riding a hand trolley protected by a dude with a toy pistol, while the enemy has jetpacks and rocket launchers.

... this fiasco never would have happened if I was controlling John James Rambo.

RescueMission_128200.jpg.7903b95c4ba24b0f62d48de21840ac4f.jpg

Now that I own Rambo III, he may have to make an appearance in a future round of light gun shooting!

• Like 1