IGNORED

Plot or poke into text window?

OxC0FFEE

Two different questions, I suppose, about direct access to the text window (not using PRINT #6)

• How to use drawing commands (PLOT, DRAWTO, etc) into the text window, not the graphics portion? I suspect that it's not possible to PLOT characters into it.
  • If that's not possible, I can also poke the desired values into the text window, but how do I figure out where in memory to poke to? SAVMSC (88,89) seem to indicate the location of the graphics portion, not the text window memory location.
Edited by OxC0FFEE

Is it possible to page-flip the text window by poking into those two locations? I tried that and the result is not what I expected. 

I'm using TBXL so I've got DPEEK and DPOKE.

It seems like the text window lives by default at the end of the graphics screen (because when I decrement it I get garbage on the graphics screen corresponding to the text in the text window), so I was hoping I could increment it by a full textwindow (160 characters) by DPOKE 660,DPEEK(660)+160, put new text into that, and switch back and forth by DPOKEing to 660.

660 and 661 are the address locations for the text window, the display list will also be pointing

at that location, so changing 660 and 661 will not achieve what your after, you also need to

change the display list LMS address too.

Here's a gr.4 display list

66   <<<<<<<<<<<<<< LMS instruction
96  <<<<<<<<<<<<<<< need to change this (lo byte)
159 <<<<<<<<<<<<<< and this (high byte)

Display list address 40266
Text window address 40800

• Thanks 1

The text window is E: which doesn't really support Plot/Drawto (Basic does it in Gr. 0 because it also opens #6 as S: )

Various workarounds could be used.  In theory you could save/restore certain screen variables like SAVMSC, DINDEX and RAMTOP as well as the cursor position locations then swap between 2 screens though if one is just a text window then potentially you could be wasting about 800 bytes on non displayed data.

If the main part of the screen is Gr. 12 (aka Antic mode 4) then you could just do a custom display list that uses the bottom 4 lines as the text window.  But you then get potential of the main/text window operations disrupting the other part of the screen.

Edited by Rybags