IGNORED

Need some info and help :)

ClassicGMR

So I was recently gifted an Adam setup. It’s alive!!! I have a few questions.

- Is the printer the only way to power the Adam?

- Does it always boot into the word processor? Is there a way around that?

- The expansion ports under the cover are empty. Anything I should definitely look into placing into those slots? Or is that even necessary?

- Is this essentially just a fancy ColecoVision? What cool things can I do with it? Just some links would be good and I can follow the trail. :) 

1C9BEFCD-8992-44D0-AAF4-23374EAA1B1C.thumb.jpeg.3929a83bdc58e1da526bd5805e83b893.jpeg

A29F32DD-F360-4387-9CF3-4F0ECFDD115C.thumb.jpeg.bc8f91fe964b5764593e58f9d2940e8f.jpeg

Edited by ClassicGMR

21 minutes ago, ClassicGMR said:

- The expansion ports under the cover are empty. Anything I should definitely look into placing into those slots? Or is that even necessary?

- Is this essentially just a fancy ColecoVision? What cool things can I do with it? Just some links would be good and I can follow the trail. :) 

1C9BEFCD-8992-44D0-AAF4-23374EAA1B1C.thumb.jpeg.3929a83bdc58e1da526bd5805e83b893.jpeg

A29F32DD-F360-4387-9CF3-4F0ECFDD115C.thumb.jpeg.bc8f91fe964b5764593e58f9d2940e8f.jpeg

- Is the printer the only way to power the Adam? NO, THERE ARE EXTERNAL & INTERNAL POWER SUPPLIES.

- Does it always boot into the word processor? Is there a way around that? YES, UNLESS YOU BOOT TO A PROGRAM WITH A DISK OR DATA PACK. THE WP CHIPS CAN ALSO BE REPLACED TO BOOT OTHER PROGRAMS, BUT SMARTWRITER IS THE NORM.

- The expansion ports under the cover are empty. Anything I should definitely look into placing into those slots? Or is that even necessary? YOU CAN ADD MEMORY EXPANDERS & PARALLEL PRINTER INTERFACES (AND A FEW OTHER THINGS, BUT THOSE ARE THE MOST COMMON.)

- Is this essentially just a fancy ColecoVision? What cool things can I do with it? Just some links would be good and I can follow the trail. :)  NO, TONS OF PROGRAMS AVAILABLE AS DISK IMAGES BUT YOU NEED AN ADE (ADAM DISK EMULATOR) OR FUJINET OR ANOTHER SIMILAR DEVICE).

Visit my web page at www.ColecoADAM.Net and browse through all the programs that are available.

• Like 2

14 hours ago, ClassicGMR said:

Congrats!!!

As is, yes, but there are videos and posts on the Coleco ADAM Facebook page and YouTube detailing how to make your own power supply using the (best option) Mean Well RT-50A power supply either internally next to the Expansion Slots or externally. You could also contact Jim Walters or 8 Bit Milli Games to see if or when they might have some external units available for purchase.

Edited by NIAD
  • Like 1

Congrats again!!! 😜

Yes and Yes.

The easiest workaround is to have a data pack or disk inserted when you power on the system, BUT that is not a BEST PRACTICE especially concerning data packs and the possibility of damaging them.

The hardest would be to replace the 2 or 3 SmartWriter PROM chips on the ADAM Logic Board in the U## sockets with say PROMs with SmartBasic burnt to them. Much more involved and no one offers this service for obvious reasons listed next. The next option is better because it keeps the ADAM original.

The best option is to buy an Internal Slot #2 expansion card that includes a Boot Prom socket. One could have a PROM made with say SmartBasic or ADAM’s Desk Top on it and then when the system is turned on or reset, that program will be the default that loads. MicroFox and Lundy Electronics sell such interface cards.

• Like 1

- The expansion ports under the cover are empty. Anything I should definitely look into placing into these slots? Or is it necessary?

I’ve said it before and will say it again… Congrats!!!

Slot 1 - AdamLink Modem, Serial Interface and IDE Interface

Slot 2 - Parallel Interface, Multi-Purpose Interface, Addressor Card

Slot 3 - Memory Expansion from 64K on up to 2MB.

In the root directory of www.adamarchive.org, I have a Hardware List available that details everything and includes links to websites.

Definitely purchase a Memory Expander to allow you to use some of the best ADAM 3rd Party/Homebrew software. A 64K ME will suffice, but MicroFox’ 512K ME isn’t that much more however you will need a Slot 2 card that provides the memory addressing signal to access expansion RAM cards larger than 64K.

Edited by NIAD
  • Thanks 1