IGNORED

Last batch of Atari Landfill carts on eBay

Mockduck

I noticed yesterday that the last batch of Atari Landfill carts is going up for sale on eBay, the first wave of listings is now closing with generally singular bids at asking price ($100ish for loose carts, $300-600 for complete sets, E.T. is being asked in the $1500+). 

https://www.krqe.com/news/new-mexico/alamogordo-man-sells-atari-games-uses-proceeds-for-special-city-projects/

Not to promo, but rather to share the link to the sales: https://www.ebay.com/usr/josef1825-1289?_trksid=p2047675.m3561.l2559

Looks like this round is almost over, "in the coming days" is all I've read about when these waves are being auctioned out.

This is your last chance to acquire a part of Atari Collector's history/You are an idiot for buying these/After this there won't be any more so it'll be down to the buyer's selling them market! 

Just a reminder that apparently what they dug up recently from the landfill was only a tiny tiny fraction of what was buried.  I thought maybe they dug up a majority of it, but after researching the matter, what they dug up was some incredibly small single digit percentage of the atari stuff that is expected to be buried there.

So maybe there will be more interest to dig up more in another 20 years 😜

Edited by sirlynxalot
  • Like 1

My dangerous practice of dropping in an initial bid "knowing" that I'd get outbid bit me on the butt yesterday. I am now the bewildered but happy I guess owner of two of these. :) Lesson learned - just because you are "sure" you'll get outbid cuz c'mon the last set sold for more than a grand each and sold out quick doesn't mean it actually will. At least the money is going to a good place. If only this would have happened on that Air Raid auction earlier this year...

I suspect the lack of action on this first wave is as much due to people not knowing it was happening versus lack of interest, but I guess we'll see as/if people become aware in the coming days.

Waste of money? Sure. In the end it'll be really neat to have these in my collection, and I'll probably get a box display going for it. I like the additional paperwork, both in real terms and because it'll be a pretty good identifier in the future when these start to re-hit the market. Not that you couldn't fake it of course but it'll take more work and even the kind of paper used can be a giveaway.

Will anyone care in the future? Hard to say. After the first auction I'd have said for sure, but now maybe not. Still, not everything is about speculation or hard cash value and I'll get more enjoyment out of this unreasonably priced trash than I do the regularly priced trash that costs me $68 per month to get removed... 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Mockduck said:

Will anyone care in the future? Hard to say. After the first auction I'd have said for sure, but now maybe not. Still, not everything is about speculation or hard cash value and I'll get more enjoyment out of this unreasonably priced trash than I do the regularly priced trash that costs me $68 per month to get removed... 

Hope you get some kind of enjoyment out of them.  It is a part of Atari history after all.  If all else fails I think Albert would give you $1 store credit for each cart you send him.

• Haha 4

On 9/21/2022 at 5:23 PM, Mockduck said:

I noticed yesterday that the last batch of Atari Landfill carts is going up for sale on eBay, the first wave of listings is now closing with generally singular bids at asking price ($100ish for loose carts, $300-600 for complete sets, E.T. is being asked in the $1500+). 

https://www.krqe.com/news/new-mexico/alamogordo-man-sells-atari-games-uses-proceeds-for-special-city-projects/

Not to promo, but rather to share the link to the sales: https://www.ebay.com/usr/josef1825-1289?_trksid=p2047675.m3561.l2559

Looks like this round is almost over, "in the coming days" is all I've read about when these waves are being auctioned out.

This is your last chance to acquire a part of Atari Collector's history/You are an idiot for buying these/After this there won't be any more so it'll be down to the buyer's selling them market! 

Programmer: Makes game in 5 weeks

People: Names the game the worst game ever

Programmer: Becomes semi-famous for his terrible creation

Mission Failed Successfuly

• Haha 1

• 1 month later...
On 9/21/2022 at 2:23 PM, Mockduck said:

I gotta say, Atari's trash became our treasure apparently. But then again, other than the pure bragging rights, why would anyone want this?!?!?!

I wonder if the people who did the digging and documentary are thinking they should not have stopped digging so soon.

I remember reading a report about a new construction site at a previous dump where a 40-year-old partial hot dog was discovered, undecomposed, still with a bun around it and mustard and ketchup on it. I wonder what that hot dog would sell for now? What about a framed combo of ET cart and hot dog?

On 11/22/2022 at 2:49 AM, Zap1982 said:

Who will be making 'faithful' reproductions by burying a couple in their garden for 12 months? 😂

I assume that prices will be a bit more reasonable once these games are eventually "resold" without all of the accompanying paperwork and certificates of authenticity. Just like a loose cartridge is worth less than the same title with the box and manual. 

2 hours ago, Keatah said:

I could just like sorta put something in the yard and run it over with the tractor. Sell on fleabay for $$$! The provenance being it's coming from the yard of a real classic gamer whom was actually there back in the halcyon days.

I'm gonna do the same thing, but I'll play it first and sign it to prove it!  That way we can say that it was played by a real classic gamer before it was flogged half to death in his yard!

This retirement plan can't fail and I can keep doing it forever!  Muahahaha!  TRUE REALITY SYNTHETIZATION!

• Haha 2

• 2 weeks later...
On 11/22/2022 at 10:41 PM, fiddlepaddle said:

I wonder if the people who did the digging and documentary are thinking they should not have stopped digging so soon.

I remember reading a report about a new construction site at a previous dump where a 40-year-old partial hot dog was discovered, undecomposed, still with a bun around it and mustard and ketchup on it. I wonder what that hot dog would sell for now? What about a framed combo of ET cart and hot dog?

And thanks to these valuiable artifacts, future generations will know what type of foods people ate during the Ancient 80's... 🤑

On 12/6/2022 at 11:05 PM, buick said:

A neat piece of history, but hundreds of bucks for what amounts to a crunched version of a game I already own?

I don't know. This is the kind of thing I'd rather look at at some kind of museum exhibit instead of owning myself.

But you're not buying a cartridge.  You are making a donation to help build a library or whatever other purpose the local government has for the funds.

• Like 1