IGNORED

Trak-Ball Controller: No Input for Ball

admiralriker

I picked up a Trak-Ball Controller, in box, great shape, for $60.

Got it home and discovered...the Trak-Ball doesn't move at all. The buttons appear to function correctly, but I get nada from the trackball.

I've opened it up, cleaned gently using compressed air, and checked the bearings (they all spin very freely).

I could actually return the Trak-Ball Controller to the shop I got it from. My question is: how hard would it be to repair this? I get this feeling it could be ICs or the optics and judging from past posts on this board, the optics are hard to come by.

17 hours ago, MrTrust said:

I had the same issue when I got mine, and it ended up being a wire.  Couldn't hurt to check that as well.

How do I check that? I'm really fuzzy on using a multimeter (I have one). I've soldered a fair bit of stuff, but literally no clue on a multimeter.

I would really appreciate any help you can lend! Same goes for the above poster about the optocouplers.

First thing is with controller plugged in and a trackball game (missle command etc.) gently move the cable around in different positions while rolling the ball around to see if you end up with intermittent control, with the cable in different spots OR if nothing changes at all. be sure to move the 15 pin connector also, but carefully don't overstress it. those connectors can get loose from not plugging it in straight and just from alot of use. in and out all the time. If the cursor has some movement when doing this then you have a cable issue. If nothing happens then check all the buttons hopefully you have a diagnostic cartridge, that would be easiest. if all the buttons seem to work and no cursor then it will be time to open the trackball and start the process of elimination.

• Like 1

Also if I was you I would call best electronics and order the kit that has both couplers and the 5 I/C's in it. It only costs 15.00, that is really a good deal. I would get it on it's way. It's only 2:00 clock in CA right now. so he will answer the phone, the part # is CB103163. and the phone # is 408-278-1070. Only open till 5:00 PST. he ships really fast. never had any issues with them in 20 years.

4 hours ago, RB5200 said:

First thing is with controller plugged in and a trackball game (missle command etc.) gently move the cable around in different positions while rolling the ball around to see if you end up with intermittent control, with the cable in different spots OR if nothing changes at all. be sure to move the 15 pin connector also, but carefully don't overstress it. those connectors can get loose from not plugging it in straight and just from alot of use. in and out all the time. If the cursor has some movement when doing this then you have a cable issue. If nothing happens then check all the buttons hopefully you have a diagnostic cartridge, that would be easiest. if all the buttons seem to work and no cursor then it will be time to open the trackball and start the process of elimination.

So. I do have one of Pete's test carts and a copy of Centipede.

Here's the deal: the buttons work but the trackball doesn't. Moving the plug in the port gently, I can rock it left and right and it will make the cursor move left and right when I do that. Move the controller plug left, it will move left, rock it right, it will go right. No up or down movement.

SO you have to move the plug to get the cursor to move left and right. or will it  move left and right on its own. cause how you described that sounds like the problem or at least half the problem is in the plug.

15 hours ago, RB5200 said:

9 hours ago, RB5200 said:

SO you have to move the plug to get the cursor to move left and right. or will it  move left and right on its own. cause how you described that sounds like the problem or at least half the problem is in the plug.

Cursor will move left and right on its own when manipulating the plug; no input made on the track ball. Rocking the plug causes the cursor to move on its own.

• 2 weeks later...
On 9/23/2022 at 9:26 AM, RB5200 said:

that means the plug connectors are loose and you need to fix that prob. first.

This will also happen on perfectly working setups because moving the cable around will cause variance in the resistance being read by the console. You can demonstrate that with a normal CX52 controller with pete's cart showing the current readings and then start moving the cable around. So it doesn't always mean the issue is a physical one. And I believe he stated that normal controllers are working fine, it is just the trak-ball that doesn't work.

I actually have the exact same issue with one of my trak-ball controllers where the buttons work but the ball never registers. I replaced out the entire main board in it with one from a working one, and it still didn't work. I also changed out the cable from a spare but cosmetically busted controller and still no dice. So.. that trak-ball not working is a real mystery. I've got two other trak-balls that do work just fine in the same console so it is something very specific to that trak-ball controller.