IGNORED

What relatively underserved game genre would you like to see new development for on the TI-99?

pixelpedant

What relatively underserved game genre would you like to see new development for on the TI-99?  

52 members have voted

1. 1. What game genre would you love to see the next big must-have TI-99 cart deliver?

• Flight Simulator
    • Racing Game
    • Scrolling Platformer
    • Beat'em'up
    • Graphic Adventure
    • City/Nation Building Sim
    • Corridor Shooter
    • Rail Shooter
    • Other Genre

• Please sign in to vote in this poll.

Invasion of the Zombie Monsters is a great game that could probably be converted to the TI-99/4A if an agreement was made with the authors. It's interesting how they avoid the use of sprites and end up with a very colorful game with parallax scrolling and layers.

• Like 14

29 minutes ago, pixelpedant said:

Absolutely stunning game. 

Less stunning, and not a platformer, but another MSX game I feel like is ripe for a TI-99 port is Knightmare:

Very cool non aircraft/spacecraft vertical shooter.  Reminds me of Truxton on Genesis 

Edited by Switch1995
  • Like 2

• 2 weeks later...
10 hours ago, Tuxon86 said:

How about RTS à la Planet X2/3

Or a good old fashion wargame like 1941

or a master of Orion type game.

Some of my favorite genres. 

Cytron Masters is an example.  I always looked forward to playing it on Apple II. It was an RTS made around 1981 by SSI. 

Two players (or computer), their command bases on opposing sides.  There are four energy plants in each half. You need energy to create units.

Units  can be materialized anywhere on your side: shooters, blockers, mines, commanders. You select and command them individually to start moving, or halt. A commander broadcasts one command to nearby units so they move as a group.

Here’s the RTS aspect. There are no turns:   units make 1 move (and shoot) every 10 ticks after being created. So there is some anxiety whether a unit will be in position or ready to shoot. You strive to  give commands quick enough, or send reinforcements. In this respect, it anticipated the entire RTS genre by more than a decade. (as far as I know.)

You win by putting a mine in the opponent’s base. The trick is to protect one, inside a carefully-arranged squad. 

• Like 1

• 3 months later...
On 10/16/2022 at 5:25 PM, Asmusr said:

Invasion of the Zombie Monsters is a great game that could probably be converted to the TI-99/4A if an agreement was made with the authors. It's interesting how they avoid the use of sprites and end up with a very colorful game with parallax scrolling and layers.

I actually wrote to Relevo asking if they would be interested in a TI-99/4A port, but they didn't even reply, so I guess they're not interested.

• Like 1
  • Sad 2