IGNORED

I FINALLY beat super mario after 28 years

Rewinds?

Ok I'll be the dick here, did your really finally beat mario, or did you reset your mistakes away? :)  Yeah I'm being harsh, but I finished it after months of trying as an 7 into being 8 years old finishing it on the original system, no rewinds, hell I never exploited the A button trick to restart a world either.  I'd lose it I'd do it all over again, warping, but still.  I'll say as much I never was a master enough to be psycho enough to kill the game off as mini mario as some nuts will do, so when I say you need fire to finish 8-3 and 8-4 it's not an understatement, especially 8-3 due to all the ground level hammer bros spammed at you.

• Like 2

8 hours ago, Tanooki said:

Rewinds?

Ok I'll be the dick here, did your really finally beat mario, or did you reset your mistakes away? :)  Yeah I'm being harsh, but I finished it after months of trying as an 7 into being 8 years old finishing it on the original system, no rewinds, hell I never exploited the A button trick to restart a world either.  I'd lose it I'd do it all over again, warping, but still.  I'll say as much I never was a master enough to be psycho enough to kill the game off as mini mario as some nuts will do, so when I say you need fire to finish 8-3 and 8-4 it's not an understatement, especially 8-3 due to all the ground level hammer bros spammed at you.

Good for you. How is that any different from how I'm playing? 

9 hours ago, Tanooki said:

Rewinds?

(deep breath)

Tanooki:

Look, i'm happy for you, I am but If I want to warp to world 8 to beat the game in a shorter time frame, why am I being criticized for it? Yes, It was harder for me as a kid but I didn't have the luxury of playing it every day. I didn't play mario again until I got my N64 in 2002. A little thing called Poverty got in the way. The only way I could even access the NES was at my grandmother's house and that was if i was lucky. One rented house on the bottom floor, noisy neighbors, no backyard and no personal space. That I am writing this from the comfort of a home that I am grateful for is a miracle. Two rented homes, one in swain, having to sleep in the car or god forbid motel 6... You can imagine why i could never "Git Gud" at mario

so please, don't throw stones at people that don't deserve it.

It's taking every effort for me not to toss an insult your way as what you said, even if innocently, was incredibly rude.

I didn't really appreciate Mario properly (and 2 and 3) when I was a kid.  I played them, beat them because they were there, and liked them alright, but I really didn't love them and see how brilliantly designed they were until I was much older.  I guess as a kid, I was FAR more interested in swords, and Conan, and ninjas, etc... Mario just didn't seem "badass" enough to my immature, underdeveloped mindset. 

• Like 2

@Frozone212

Post #1 -"Good for you. How is that any different from how I'm playing? "  Because I was addressing the fact you neither actually finished it start to end, or even still legitimately finished it going the shorter route with the legitimate warp zones.

Post #2 - You're fixating on warp zones.  Why?  Let me quote you, then think about why I asked if your really finished it: "world 8-4 and 8-3 are annoying and it took a LOT of rewinds but i beat bowser in two seconds" 

The NES doesn't have a rewind feature, the NES Classic Edition does as do many popular emulators.  Rewinds were never intended as a function of the actual game, you either played it all out, or used warps, either way to play it as is "stock" to finish off 8-4 and see the little ending rescuing Princess Toadstool.  You didn't meet either condition because "it took a LOT of rewinds" so that's why I asked if you felt you really did finish it.  It was nothing more or less than that.  Whether you could play the game enough as a kid, teen, adult, financial status or the rest really doesn't factor in here.  It's a very black and white question, did you really finish it?  And no I'm not one of those get good types, notice I detest that and refuse to write that loser statement per letter as it's a disgusting cop out.

When did you start using rewinds, just in 8-3 and 8-4?  The shortest trip to 8 is actually some of the easiest levels to play in the game which is helpful.  The Vine in 1-2 goes to 4-1, and 4-2 very early in the stage is the other hidden vine to 8-1.  8-1 and 8-2 other than a single tricky jump or two are pretty ok, harder yes, but ok, mostly it's the jerky low clock time that nails you as you can't stop to take time on things.  8-3 IS evil, that's the one horrid level of the game, 8-4 is easier once you learn the path to the end.  Those hammer bros in 8-3 are just awful, the timing near impossible to get in those fast hammer gaps to hop over or jump on them if you lack fire.  It sucks, and is a great place to quit and go play something else in all fairness.

• Like 4

5 hours ago, Tanooki said:

It's a very black and white question, did you really finish it?  

In a strictly black and white sense, then "yes," they finished it.  Did they really "beat the game," as you actually asked originally, then not so black and white.  It'd still be "yes," I suppose, in my opinion, but with a lot of help and admittedly overcoming a much different/easier set of obstacles than playing stock, no cheating.  

It'd be like it I entered the Tour de France, but I rode a motorcycle instead.  Sure, I "finished it," and I may even finish first, but anyone with basic sense is gonna acknowledge that what I did is quite different from the bicycle riders in the race.

And to be clear, I'm not saying there's anything wrong with how the OP plays (emulator, rewind, etc) if that's what's fun for them, then great!  If they feel accomplishment over reaching the end, then great!  It only becomes any sort of an issue during things like high score competitions and such where everyone should be playing by the same rules and other people are negatively impacted, but that's a whole other thang

• Like 1

I do my best not to cheat (well i did cheat one time but that was me being idiotic)

5 hours ago, Tanooki said:

@Frozone212

Post #1 -"Good for you. How is that any different from how I'm playing? "  Because I was addressing the fact you neither actually finished it start to end, or even still legitimately finished it going the shorter route with the legitimate warp zones.

Post #2 - You're fixating on warp zones.  Why?  Let me quote you, then think about why I asked if your really finished it: "world 8-4 and 8-3 are annoying and it took a LOT of rewinds but i beat bowser in two seconds" 

The NES doesn't have a rewind feature, the NES Classic Edition does as do many popular emulators.  Rewinds were never intended as a function of the actual game, you either played it all out, or used warps, either way to play it as is "stock" to finish off 8-4 and see the little ending rescuing Princess Toadstool.  You didn't meet either condition because "it took a LOT of rewinds" so that's why I asked if you felt you really did finish it.  It was nothing more or less than that.  Whether you could play the game enough as a kid, teen, adult, financial status or the rest really doesn't factor in here.  It's a very black and white question, did you really finish it?  And no I'm not one of those get good types, notice I detest that and refuse to write that loser statement per letter as it's a disgusting cop out.

When did you start using rewinds, just in 8-3 and 8-4?  The shortest trip to 8 is actually some of the easiest levels to play in the game which is helpful.  The Vine in 1-2 goes to 4-1, and 4-2 very early in the stage is the other hidden vine to 8-1.  8-1 and 8-2 other than a single tricky jump or two are pretty ok, harder yes, but ok, mostly it's the jerky low clock time that nails you as you can't stop to take time on things.  8-3 IS evil, that's the one horrid level of the game, 8-4 is easier once you learn the path to the end.  Those hammer bros in 8-3 are just awful, the timing near impossible to get in those fast hammer gaps to hop over or jump on them if you lack fire.  It sucks, and is a great place to quit and go play something else in all fairness.

Despite my initial feelings of anger, I am writing this to call you out on your behavior. Not all of us play the same way, true but belittling and demeaning the accomplishments of another gamer is the lowest blow you could possibly do. 

Why you feel the need to be superior and rub it in, I will never know, but know this: this is the last time that I speak to you. Not only have you shown disregard for something that I legit believe to be the best moment of my life but you took it upon yourself to brag about your achievement instead of congratulating mine. So in closing, yes, you are being a complete and utter dick and I hope someone down the line sees this and gives you what you rightfully deserve: Karma, for ruining someone else's happiness just to satisfy your own

we're done here.

Edited by Frozone212
Tranquil fury
  • Haha 2
  • Confused 1

My behavior?  I didn't cheat.  I'm not belittling either.  I just think it's a fraud to say a game was beaten when you basically did a rewind every failure to tip toe to the end.  That's about the same as someone mashing save/load state every few seconds on an emulator claiming they took a game down.  If you feel like I'm being a dick, fine.  I think you are saying you finally did something after all these years by basically cheating to the end much like Razzie pointing out the Tour de France and saying you won, but you did it on a motorcycle instead of a bike.  Sure you finished it, but did you really?  No.  The fact you're getting this worked up over it just proves my point.  So you're right, we are done here, you're justifying cheating, getting mad at cheating being pointed out, and now trying to justify it and name calling and slamming the door shut because you said it's done.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

I spent YEARS trying to do it, YEARS! You don't think I didn't try?

I tried during school, I tried during Program, I tried every FUCKING DAY and couldn't do it

So yeah, call ME out for not giving a SHIT anymore and taking the easy way out

I AM SORRY FOR NOTHING IN MY LIFE! NOTHING!

HOW DARE YOU ACCUSE ME! HOW DARE YOU STICK YOUR NOSE UP AT ME FOR TRYING EVERY SINGLE DAY!

EVERY DAY IN POVERTY, WHEN I WAS SICK, WHEN I WAS IN THE HOSPITAL, WHEN I HAD TO GO TO A FUNERAL BECAUSE MY GRANDMOTHER DIED, THE VERY REASON I GOT INTO VIDEOGAMES IN THE FIRST PLACE!

EVERY DAY I DREAMED OF IT, EVERY DAY I DEVISED A WAY!

You're nothing but a bully and you'll always be a bully because that's what you are! I do one thing wrong and you bear down on me like an eagle, even if I try to share one of the happiest moments of my life, even If i did cheat a bit.

and you don't give a shit do you? In your eyes, I can do nothing right

I'll always be a cheater in your eyes...even if i tried my very best.

I am truly sorry for you, honestly. I came here to make friends, not to be treated like an outcast. So thanks for reminding me of Middle school, High school, Prom and all the other areas I failed in.

Thanks for making me relive the moments where i fucked up so badly that I wanted to die, because i felt so hopeless. Thanks for making me feel like that scared child again, thanks for making me feel small

and I can't thank you enough for devaluing one tiny accomplishment that my 8 year old self had spent YEARS trying to accomplish. I can't tell you how happy it makes me that I did it, that I found ways around obstacles instead of going down the correct path, because life is not one big paved road where you do as you are told tanookie, that's for robots, that's for people without direction, that's for people without a brain, who's only function is to do whatever they're told and when they have a little bit of light, it's snuffed out.

of course, I went to my grandmother's funeral, I never attended the funeral of my aunts because i couldn't, OR DID I CHEAT THAT TOO!

It's taking every fiber of my being, every fiber to not fight back.

have a nice life

lock the fucking thread, i'm done talking and If you ever speak to me again, I will block you. 

Edited by Frozone212
Anger won't bring my grandmother, my childhood or happiness back, but damn it feels good. How dare you!
  • Confused 1

9 hours ago, Gemintronic said:

I may have come off snarky.  What I really meant was:  try another playthrough with buzzy beetles.  It's kinda a rite of passage.  Like completing Zelda on the "second quest" :)

Nah, Zelda's second quest is infinitely harder than SMB's second loop. Yeah, there are some extra twists (more fire poles in castles, buzzy beetles, moving platforms being smaller), but it's really not that much more difficult IMO, especially if you take your time. At the end of the day, to me the OG SMB is honestly kind of easy compared to other action games on the system, like Battletoads, Castlevania, Ninja Gaiden, etc.

3 hours ago, Frozone212 said:

*wall of text*

lock the fucking thread, i'm done talking and If you ever speak to me again, I will block you. 

Holy hell dude, chill out.

Also, go back and play the game again and do it without save states or rewinds. Seriously. If you ever want to get better as a player (which based on your threads, it seems like you want to), you're going to have to play the game normally, start to finish. It's 40 minutes if you rarely die.

I learn a lot of new games regularly, and I'll admit to learning via save state practice at certain points. Guilty as charged, life is short and I don't have the time to be learning some of these games like we used to as kids. But, I also don't go around telling people I've finished the game until I can do it normally.

Quit complaining, just do it, then pat yourself on the back when you are done (and hey, maybe Tanooki will even compliment you this time!). Move onto the next game, rinse and repeat.

• Like 7

I've beaten Contra, i've destroyed COD advanced warfare on Veteran, I barely managed to pass WW2 on hardened so I know the meaning of pain.

I refuse to spend another minute listening to the two of you beat me into the ground while telling me to play a certain way.

Enough of the "no true gamer" crap ok?

thank you

Edited by Frozone212
  • Confused 1

You can feel a sense of accomplishment, from completing a game using save/load states or rewind features, and no one can take that away from you (if you don’t want them to).

I “beat” several games that way. One game I beat that way was Steel Battalion. I used to work at a GameStop, and we could checkout used games to play at home (weren’t supposed to do that with ones that require hardware, but didn’t know that). Anyway, I got all the way up to Mission 4, where you are attacking the battleship, but couldn’t figure out how to beat it. I pretty much gave up, because there were no known cheats at the time. Several months later, a cheat was published in Tips&Tricks for a Mission select. With that knowledge, I beat all the other levels and returned to mission 4, eventually beating it. (The trick was to fire at the Battleship from just outside its range, then dodge backwards the incoming fire)

Did I “beat” the game for real? Probably not. Steel Battalion is known for its permanent death for not ejecting from the cockpit soon enough after your mech suffers fatal damage. Certain games are known for their difficulty (Ninja Gaiden (Xbox)), and completing them not the way they were intended isn’t the same (you are really playing a different game).

I say that using a GaneGenie/Trainer, warp codes, life cheats, save states are a great way to bypass a lot of the already mastered sections of a game, so that you can practice on the harder sections. Once you have done that though, the real challenge is going back and completing the game without using any of those tools. (Unless they are intentionally part of the game, like warp zones. But then there is “complete” and “100% complete”)

I've played SMB many times for many years, but I've never even come close to finishing it; it seems to go on forever, in my house. But, I've never used rewinds, either. It is always fun though, in my opinion.

However, if I walked into a forum and bragged about what I've done, I would certainly expect other people to respond, and unless I knew I was the best there was, I would expect, and accept criticism. It seems to me the OP needs to toughen up a bit.
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, Austin said:

Nah, Zelda's second quest is infinitely harder than SMB's second loop. Yeah, there are some extra twists (more fire poles in castles, buzzy beetles, moving platforms being smaller), but it's really not that much more difficult IMO, especially if you take your time. At the end of the day, to me the OG SMB is honestly kind of easy compared to other action games on the system, like Battletoads, Castlevania, Ninja Gaiden, etc.

Holy hell dude, chill out.

Also, go back and play the game again and do it without save states or rewinds. Seriously. If you ever want to get better as a player (which based on your threads, it seems like you want to), you're going to have to play the game normally, start to finish. It's 40 minutes if you rarely die.

I learn a lot of new games regularly, and I'll admit to learning via save state practice at certain points. Guilty as charged, life is short and I don't have the time to be learning some of these games like we used to as kids. But, I also don't go around telling people I've finished the game until I can do it normally.

Quit complaining, just do it, then pat yourself on the back when you are done (and hey, maybe Tanooki will even compliment you this time!). Move onto the next game, rinse and repeat.

Yes he's overreacting and if he wants to block me that's fine.  I think we're on the same page here.  He needs to chill out big time.  THe way I was reading it, he basically got as far as the last world, then chickened out on 8-3 then kept it up with 8-4 using rewinds to cheat the ending not really finishing it.  What you're saying is my thoughts, just go and try again, you got the motions down cheating it, so it's just a matter of a few more attempts is all.  Even if you bomb it only takes less than 5min of play to go from 1-1, pass through 1-2, do 4-1 an a 1/4 of 4-2 to the vine, and bam... world 8.  I've never used save states to practice, but I am not adverse to using anything that'll gimp a game if the developer left a classic code in, such as the konami code, to learn stuff better in a shorter time.  Outside of a game throwing up an invisibility code, I'll take a full power up or a box filled with added 1-ups (30man Contra.)  You may eat it more and win, but it's still a win.  Those codes were a help in the 80s and 90s, a couple extra continues or 10 vs 3 lives in TMNT2-- definitely.  And I'll congratulate anyone honestly taking down SMB1, we're largely older players who know or maybe grew up with these things so a bit jaded on it.  But no, I get the difficulty, SMB1 is a bitch, 8-3 is the worst, and some of those stages in the 5-7 worlds are as nasty, some stages are like a yo-yo on kind of nicer, then a middle finger.

Hell anyone can take down SMB2 FDS I'd gush over that.  I hate that game, it takes cheap to the kaizo level of assholery you see people commit in NES hacks or Mario Maker titles.

• Like 2

21 minutes ago, Tanooki said:

Hell anyone can take down SMB2 FDS I'd gush over that.  I hate that game, it takes cheap to the kaizo level of assholery you see people commit in NES hacks or Mario Maker titles.

matt leblanc joey GIF

I think I picked up SMB All-Stars + SMWorld used, played a couple of levels of SMB2 (J), and quit soon after. And the SNES remake allowed saving your level progress. That game is ass.

• Like 2

I get it, but the issue is, OCD forces me to redo it and redo it and redo it. I can't enjoy a game that I can't beat. That's why I cheat, because it gives me a way around the issue. It's like titanfall. I couldn't continue into the main story because of the Becomes the master achievement. 

I get what you're saying but you need to consider my side. do YOU have OCD? if no, then understand that I literally CANNOT do SMB1 without some form of crutch.

you can go back to hating me.

• Confused 1