IGNORED

Yes! Broke 6 sec. on Dragster.

Christophero Sly

YES!!! I finally broke the 6 second barrier on Dragster.  Took me 2 hours to do it...well, actually, 20+ years and 2 hours.  

I thought I'd lost my reflexes to old age...feels good to know that I've still got something left. :D  8)

So... when do you think you'll be getting your patch? :)

cool score, after reading your post I spent about an hour playing today :)

I'm only down to 6.04 but it's a lot of fun trying to beat that. I never really got into the game, first time in years I picked it up. But for some reason it has me hooked today.

cool score, after reading your post I spent about an hour playing today :)

I'm only down to 6.04 but it's a lot of fun trying to beat that.  I never really got into the game, first time in years I picked it up.  But for some reason it has me hooked today.

Thanks! It was the same thing for me last night. I was never any good at Dragster as a kid, and I'd only played the copy in my collection once or twice since acquiring it, but last night, like you say, the game just hooked me. I hadn't been focused on a game like that in a very long time. It was a lot of fun. :)

Of course, my wrist and thumb are awfully sore today. :(

I managed to shave another tenth of a second off my time last night and got my best time to 5.87. That's probably the best I can do. I'd sure like to know what technique that Rodgers fellow used to get 5.51. :ponder:

Hey, that is an Excellent score, I am down to 6.02, but that was once. Are you using a 2600, 7800 or ps2?

Thanks! 6.02 is a great score too! I couldn't break 6.07 for 2 hours last night, and then, bingo, 5.97!

I'm using a 7800 with standard 2600 sticks.

Hey congrads on your sub 6 seconds Dragster time. If you go to this link below you can see my technique on how to master Dragster...I hope it helps your Dragster quest of how to get a better time and when all is up and ready all the players who scored below a 6 second time will recieve a Dragster certification

http://www.atariage.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=16980

Todd Mr Activision Rogers

@ToddRogers

Thanks for the link--for some reason it never occured to me to search the forums for info about Dragster.

Those are some great tips. I wasn't doing any of this. In fact, I thought I had to quickly take my thumb off the gas when I shifted or my engine would blow. :?

And it never occured to me to tap the shifter once I hit 4th gear **slaps forehead**

Thank you for sharing your techniques. I look forward to trying them out.

Cam :)

We had a score contest on this a while back. My best (on a real VCS) is 5.71

I've tried to recreate it but the best I can get usually is 5.77

I think it's the only game I'm actually good at:) -probably fits in with my short attention span. 6 seconds of concentration I can do :D

Playing like that I was able to get consistent 6.01 and a couple of 5.97's :)

Sweet! Congrats on breaking 6 seconds!

I going to try using Todd's methods tonight. I can't wait to get home and play.

probably fits in with my short attention span. 6 seconds of concentration I can do

:lol: I know what you mean. I'm glad Dragster isn't a question of breaking 10 secs. ;)

Ha, that reminds me at my automatic-shifting hack of Dragster, where I finally managed to break the 6 sec border. IIRC my record then was somewhere around 5.4x sec. :)

you big cheater, now you're going to tell us you broke the record in Barnstorming ;)

Well, I finally got bored of Dragster, sort of, because I found a cool hack, DragRace in the Hacks forum. AMaximus should sell this through the AtariAge store, great graphics and theme.

http://www.atariage.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=24190

post-1503-1064453694_thumb.png

Well, I can't break 5.87, and it's frustrating.

I've applied all of Todd's basic techniques, but now I'm stuck in the 6.11 - 6.04 range.

I'm engaging the clutch through the countdown. Sometime near 1 on the countdown, I "floor" it into the readline. At go, I pop the clutch and quickly tap the shifter just before the engine blows to get in to second gear. Then, I run second to the point of blowing the engine. At that point, I drop it in to third and run the engine to the point of blowing again. Then, I tap the shifter to get into fourth....now here's where I don't know exactly what to do. I've tried tapping the shifter to keep my RPMs up, but I can't find a pattern that lowers my time. In fact, all tapping the stick in fourth seems to do is slow me down.

Anyway, I'm done with it for now. Great game though!

In fact, all tapping the stick in fourth seems to do is slow me down.

You need to tap 2 or 3 times in fourth while the revs are still below maximum.

By "maximum", do you mean the starting point of the redline, or the engine blowing up?

I've tried every combination of tapping I can think of, but still see no improvement...perhaps I'm making a mistake somewhere else. :ponder:

I'll work on it this weekend.

Well, my tip to get a 5.71 is this:-

Rev that damned car as hard as you can the whole race without blowing it, move up the gears REAL quick and spend the rest of the race topping up the revs. You'll blow the engine SO MANY times but, when you don't, you'll get a killer time.

That's all there is to it, just having the guts to nearly blow your car the whole time:) When I get a free moment sometime, I'll do a 5.71 (or as near as I can) and post the screen.