IGNORED

Yes! Broke 6 sec. on Dragster.

Christophero Sly

This is very true both David and Chris are on the right track and are giving me TIGHT competition. Im very pleased to see this kind of ability. Yes again on the pattern shifitng out side of my Dragster walkthough that ive posted here the only other thing that i can say is to watch me play or play against me simultaniously so you get the hang of my shifting . Yes i max all gears as most possiably without blowing up that is the Key to getting a sub 5.61 times. Ron Corcoran's times are a perfect example of the timing of shifting. Before CGE2K1 his runs were mid 6 seconds and now after clone shifting with me hes IMPROVED almost a full second. Now i dont say its all my coaching but he is a great player on the over all and he is persistant...I hope this sheds some light on the DRAGSTER shift patterns and Keep up the great scores.

Todd Mr Activision Rogers

Man, I'd love to watch you play. The next time you make a public apperance anywhere near my area, I'll be there. :)

Thanks for providing more information about the proper technique. Based on what you've said, I'm fairly certain that my technique is flawed because I haven't been maxing ALL my gears, just 4th. My technique is to build inertia by quickly shifting through 1,2, and 3, then I concentrate on maxing my 4th gear rpms by tapping the shifter.

I guess it's back to the track... :D

• 4 weeks later...
Okay, I JUST got below 6 seconds on this game!

It seems like I started off kind of slow, got it into 4th pretty quick, and tapped the clutch a bunch of times. I tried a couple more times and could't get it again.

Congratulations!

Getting into 4th quickly is a good technique. Like D. Yancey recommends, try and make your 4th gear taps as crisp as possible.

• 10 months later...

Well, it's been about 10 months, but I has to resurrect this thread. I finally got my dragster VHS video score verified by Twin Galaxies. I finally did a 5.61 and now it seems so easy. I run 5.64's really frequently now, and that used to be my best of all time and I'd only done it twice. Now I could fill a tape with 5.67's and 5.64's, but I've only gotten 5.61 twice. I really want a 5.57, so maybe in a year or so!! ;) LOL

I finally did a 5.61

Right on! Congratulations!

and now it seems so easy.

Easy!?! Seriously? :( :D

It's odd that you bumped this thread, as I've actually been playing Dragster lately and I thought about bumping it myself. But now I can't seem to beat 5.67, although I can get that time at will. ;) I don't think I'm using the same technique that you and Todd are. I've never understood what he means by jumping the start and skipping 1st gear, so I don't do that, but I'm certain that is the key to improving my times. I achieved 5.61 thanks to a very good tapping sequence in 4th gear. But I've only done it once. I feel that if I could find a .04-.07 sec. somewhere else (at the start?) it would put me over the top, or under it, I guess.

Would you be willing to share your technique? Perhaps there is something in my technique that you could make use of too.

And again, congratulations!

Cam :)

I've reviewed my best times in slo-mo on my VHS tapes. Anytime I get in the 5.6x's, I'm getting a perfect jump off the line. There is no time wasted at all when the timer is starting, so I cannot improve that part. Maybe, I could have a slightly higher rev at the start, but that does not really seem to help me. It's almost like the dragster is losing traction off the line if it gets max revs. :ponder: :ponder: :?: Is this just my imagination? Todd never suggests this.

The part about starting in 2nd gear is just a matter of getting out of 1st gear ASAP. You actually still begin in 1st when you pop the clutch, but you shift to 2nd as quickly as is possible for you. I usually let 2nd rev as highly as possible to shift to 3rd without letting off the button. The red line will peak out during the shift and fall back dramatically. As soon as that wheelie hits the ground, I'm shifting to 4th. I don't let 3rd wind out at all, but I don't try to skip it completely either. Then my 4th gear is just as many quick crisp taps as will fit without blowing the engine, letting the wheelie hit the ground between each tap.

It sounds exactly like what you are doing to me. This is a little different from what Todd describes, however. He insists that all gears should be maxed completely (excluding 1st of course). Right now that seems to slightly hurt my scores if I stay in 3rd too long????? Anyway, I'll keep experimenting when I can.

With my current technique, I'm getting multiple runs of 5.64 and 5.67 consecutively. My best so far is 7 in a row in the 5.6x's. All of my 5.61 runs have happened when 4th gear started with the tachometer VERY near the bottom, not even in the red when I hit 4th??????? Todd says that's not good, but I haven't found a way to improve from there yet. Let me know if you do also. And good luck!! We only need one more tiny hint to become members of the renowned 5.5x club! 8)

I've reviewed my best times in slo-mo on my VHS tapes.  Anytime I get in the 5.6x's, I'm getting a perfect jump off the line.  There is no time wasted at all when the timer is starting, so I cannot improve that part.  Maybe, I could have a slightly higher rev at the start, but that does not really seem to help me.  It's almost like the dragster is losing traction off the line if it gets max revs. :ponder:  :ponder:  :?:   Is this just my imagination?  Todd never suggests this.

The part about starting in 2nd gear is just a matter of getting out of 1st gear ASAP.  You actually still begin in 1st when you pop the clutch, but you shift to 2nd as quickly as is possible for you.  The red line will peak out during the shift and fall back dramatically. I don't let 3rd wind out at all, but I don't try to skip it completely either.  Then my 4th gear is just as many quick crisp taps as will fit without blowing the engine, letting the wheelie hit the ground between each tap.  

It sounds exactly like what you are doing to me.  This is a little different from what Todd describes, however.  He insists that all gears should be maxed completely (excluding 1st of course).  Right now that seems to slightly hurt my scores if I stay in 3rd too long?????  Anyway, I'll keep experimenting when I can.  

With my current technique, I'm getting multiple runs of 5.64 and 5.67 consecutively.  My best so far is 7 in a row in the 5.6x's.  All of my 5.61 runs have happened when 4th gear started with the tachometer VERY near the bottom, not even in the red when I hit 4th???????  Todd says that's not good, but I haven't found a way to improve from there yet.  Let me know if you do also.

Seven 5.6x's in a row is fantastic. You are on top of your game. :)

I stayed up late last night playing Dragster. I experimented with several elements of the game and my technique. I think I understand now how to jump the start. I was able to get some low times by reving the engine just as the countdown hit "1" and then popping the clutch at "GO". The tach was usually just below or just above the red when I popped the clutch. After popping the clutch, I let first gear run out to max. and then I tap the shifter to get into second. This transition between first and second gears happens extremely fast. I think that must be what Todd is describing as essentially skipping first gear because it appears to be what you are doing. However, I found it was critical to get something out of first gear. If I popped the clutch and quickly tapped into second, it didn't seem to improve my times.

In the 10% of runs where my engine doesn't blow right there, I run second to max. and tap into third. Again, this transition happens very quickly. And I'm not certain that maxing second is necessary. Once I'm in third, there is a lot of room for experimentation. I've tried running third to max, but like you describe, rather than run it to max, I got better times just "establishing" it and quickly shifting to fourth.

It's fourth gear that has the most room for experimentation. My tapping technique in fourth gear is the same as yours. It should be, you told me how to do it. :)

You're right, this sounds like the same technique you are using. Though I'm curious as to how high you rev the engine just prior to popping the clutch. Into the red?

I tried to master this technique (jumping the start) when I first started playing Dragster seriously at the beginning of this thread, but I wasn't able to do it. Then, through experimentation, I came up with the technique I used to get my 5.64s and my 5.61. It's quite different from the technique above, at least through third gear.

The technique I used doesn't jump that start. Exactly at "GO", I simultaneously hit the accelerator and shift into 1st gear. I run first right to the transition between green and red on the tach, then quickly tap into second. I let second build to the transition between green and red on the tach (happens quickly), then shift into third, and let third build to that same transition, then shift into fourth. It's hard to shift exactly at the transition point and I'm usually above or below it, but when it goes well, it seems like the tach stays right near the transition point through all three shifts, 1 to 2, 2 to 3, and 3 to 4. When I shift into fourth the tach drops well into the green, but I quickly build it back up by tapping the shifter. If everything goes well, it is easier for me to run a 5.64 with this technique than it is when I jump the start.

Take what you will from this technique, but I think it does point out that maxing your tach in each of the first three gears isn't necessary to produce a sub-5.7 times. Of course, it may still be necessary to max the gears to score sub-5.6 times, but based on this technique and my experimentation it doesn't appear to me that it is, and it may actually be counter-productive to do so???

Maybe, I could have a slightly higher rev at the start, but that does not really seem to help me. It's almost like the dragster is losing traction off the line if it gets max revs. :ponder:  :ponder:  :?:    Is this just my imagination? Todd never suggests this.
Based on my experience, I would say "no" this isn't your imagination.

I think the most critical element is the tapping sequence in 4th gear. And it's here that I think I may have discovered the key! It's hard to describe, and nearly impossible to do. When you begin your taps in 4th gear, try to make the first tap rev the engine right to the end of the red line, just to the point of blowing the engine. You'll hear that engine SCREAM!, it's a sound you never really hear the game make, and the dragster will take off like a rocket. You'll actually see it! As the front wheel comes down, the tach will be well within the red. The tach falls as RPMs and momentum try to reach equilibrium, but, by quickly beginning a normal, quick, crisp tapping rhythm, the tach can be kept in the red and all of that acceleration can be preserved. Done just right, I think it is worth .04-.07s of a sec.! I've only succeeded in doing it two or three times, but I managed to do it when I got my 5.61. I didn't jump the start with that run, and I probably didn't have an ideal run through the first three gears. I think maxing the RPMs with that first tap was the key. If I could consistently score a 5.64 and then pull off this RPM-maxing tap, I think I could score a 5.5x. I wonder if it is possible to follow-up that first tap with a second that maxes the RPMs too???

Also, it was mentioned previously in this thread that Todd doesn't engage the clutch at the end, but, instead, taps the accelerator. Have you toyed with this at all? I have, but it seems like releasing the accelerator, however briefly, creates engine drag that slows me down.

One thing is certain, I need to start taping my runs, so that I can dissect them more thoroughly. Do they still make VCRs? :)

The general tips I have for anybody playing this are to be insanely quick and crisp with your shifting. Tap and get off the stick. As quick as you tap, be as quick in withdrawing your hand.

I love the essay-length tips, all for a 4k game :lol:

I can't really implement all your new tips yet, I have to get back into my 'Dragster' zone. My best is 5.77 and I usually can get 5.81 and 5.84 consistently on good days. Anyways, it's the one game I always come back to after I've had some time away from the Atari.

I stayed up late last night playing Dragster.  I experimented with several elements of the game and my technique.  I think I understand now how to jump the start.  I was able to get some low times by reving the engine just as the countdown hit "1" and then popping the clutch at "GO".  The tach was usually just below or just above the red when I popped the clutch.  After popping the clutch, I let first gear run out to max. and then I tap the shifter to get into second.  This transition between first and second gears happens extremely fast.  I think that must be what Todd is describing as essentially skipping first gear because it appears to be what you are doing.  However, I found it was critical to get something out of first gear.  If I popped the clutch and quickly tapped into second, it didn't seem to improve my times.    

In the 10% of runs where my engine doesn't  blow right there, I run second to max. and tap into third.  Again, this transition happens very quickly.  And I'm not certain that maxing second is necessary.  Once I'm in third, there is a lot of room for experimentation.  I've tried running third to max, but like you describe, rather than run it to max, I got better times just "establishing" it and quickly shifting to fourth.  

It's fourth gear that has the most room for experimentation.  My tapping technique in fourth gear is the same as yours.  It should be, you told me how to do it. :)  

You're right, this sounds like the same technique you are using.  Though I'm curious as to how high you rev the engine just prior to popping the clutch.  Into the red?  

I tried to master this technique (jumping the start) when I first started playing Dragster seriously at the beginning of this thread, but I wasn't able to do it.  Then, through experimentation, I came up with the technique I used to get my 5.64s and my 5.61.  It's quite different from the technique above, at least through third gear.

The technique I used doesn't jump that start.  Exactly at "GO", I simultaneously hit the accelerator and shift into 1st gear.  I run first right to the transition between green and red on the tach, then quickly tap into second.  I let second build to the transition between green and red on the tach (happens quickly), then shift into third, and let third build to that same transition, then shift into fourth.  It's hard to shift exactly at the transition point and I'm usually above or below it, but when it goes well, it seems like the tach stays right near the transition point through all three shifts, 1 to 2, 2 to 3, and 3 to 4. When I shift into fourth the tach drops well into the green, but I quickly build it back up by tapping the shifter.  If everything goes well, it is easier for me to run a 5.64 with this technique than it is when I jump the start.  

Take what you will from this technique, but I think it does point out that maxing your tach in each of the first three gears isn't necessary to produce a sub-5.7 times.  Of course, it may still be necessary to max the gears to score sub-5.6 times, but based on this technique and my experimentation it doesn't appear to me that it is, and it may actually be counter-productive to do so???  

Maybe, I could have a slightly higher rev at the start, but that does not really seem to help me. It's almost like the dragster is losing traction off the line if it gets max revs. :ponder:  :ponder:  :?:    Is this just my imagination? Todd never suggests this.
Based on my experience, I would say "no" this isn't your imagination.

I think the most critical element is the tapping sequence in 4th gear. And it's here that I think I may have discovered the key! It's hard to describe, and nearly impossible to do. When you begin your taps in 4th gear, try to make the first tap rev the engine right to the end of the red line, just to the point of blowing the engine. You'll hear that engine SCREAM!, it's a sound you never really hear the game make, and the dragster will take off like a rocket. You'll actually see it! As the front wheel comes down, the tach will be well within the red. The tach falls as RPMs and momentum try to reach equilibrium, but, by quickly beginning a normal, quick, crisp tapping rhythm, the tach can be kept in the red and all of that acceleration can be preserved. Done just right, I think it is worth .04-.07s of a sec.! I've only succeeded in doing it two or three times, but I managed to do it when I got my 5.61. I didn't jump the start with that run, and I probably didn't have an ideal run through the first three gears. I think maxing the RPMs with that first tap was the key. If I could consistently score a 5.64 and then pull off this RPM-maxing tap, I think I could score a 5.5x. I wonder if it is possible to follow-up that first tap with a second that maxes the RPMs too???

Also, it was mentioned previously in this thread that Todd doesn't engage the clutch at the end, but, instead, taps the accelerator. Have you toyed with this at all? I have, but it seems like releasing the accelerator, however briefly, creates engine drag that slows me down.

One thing is certain, I need to start taping my runs, so that I can dissect them more thoroughly. Do they still make VCRs? :)

The general tips I have for anybody playing this are to be insanely quick and crisp with your shifting. Tap and get off the stick. As quick as you tap, be as quick in withdrawing your hand.

I totally agree with all of your analysis. I've run 5.64's by engaging the clutch or tapping the button at the end. I've watched them in slo-mo on my VCR and I can't tell which is better. I still like the clutch method better, but Todd doesn't and he is probably right since he got in the 5.5x's and I have not. I agree that it seems to create engine drag.

I've scored well using 1st gear like you, but I've scored just as well without it and my engine blows much less of the time too. My best runs have come from hitting 4th at a low RPM. That is what I was previously describing about the dragster losing traction if the RPM's are to high in the lower gears. Todd seems to use your "screaming 4th gear" technique, but instead of one big tap, he uses 2 short taps without letting the wheelie hit the ground between them on this one place only. I know what it is. I've gotten good times by screaming 2nd gear also. Also, a really responsive stick is a must. One that delivers inconsistancy in the size of your taps should be swapped out.

• 5 years later...