IGNORED

Games you wish had come out on the 7800

Silver Back

21 hours ago, The Usotsuki said:

Arkanoid (arcade)

7 hours ago, GoldenWheels said:

I'll second Arkanoid.....we have the availability of first party, good quality paddle/driving controllers, why not lean into that?

Looks like you guys have missed the spectacular Arkanoid Port made by mksmith ...

21003400_7800_DOHgraphic_VSarcade.thumb.PNG.c658f6e1b3a8382f18ee2b876fc100de.PNG

2104246500_7800Arkanoid_DOHgraphic_VSNES.thumb.PNG.8a7595d9eb7295a3391e4ece58f57c0e.PNG

Edited by Defender_2600
  • Like 6

On 9/26/2022 at 11:23 PM, -^CrossBow^- said:

Crystal Castles

17 hours ago, Dire 51 said:

Crystal Castles

Just to get an idea, here's a 7800 mockup I did some time ago...

msg-29074-0-08232700-1449071262.thumb.png.34c5f23db5becb8252c850362e34c481.png

15 hours ago, Jaden (JRH) said:

Donkey Kong 3 (Nintendo/1983) - Kind of the ugly duckling of the original Donkey Kong trilogy, but I personally love it. This game was done dirty back then, and it deserved to be ported to a lot more systems. How can you go wrong with blasting bugs?

Still just to get an idea, another my old 7800 mockup...

post-29074-0-99340500-1529586764.thumb.png.3dfe824256dd1c46097930d7382c6c20.png

• Like 9

On 9/26/2022 at 10:54 PM, Muddyfunster said:

Bubble Bobble

+1 (or more)

I would also like to see  Phoenix arcade and Preppie! from the Atari 8bit machines. Yes I know it is a frogger clone but I think it is a much better game.
And maybe Miner 2049er or Bounty Bob Strikes back, or boulderdash or...............................

Edited by mimo
  • Like 3

Since the general topic of games that we'd like to have on the 7800 has come up, there's a thought in that regard that I have had for a while.

I'd like to see games on the 7800 that never had a home port, or that only had one in very limited ways.  If it was unique to a specific platform (or only a couple) and / or only ever had a limited release in terms of number of copies, region, etc., it would be a good candidate for consideration.  Baby Pac-Man is an excellent example of this.

Having said that, I am by no means opposed to better-known games making it to the system.  They absolutely should.  I'm just saying that if there's a chance to do something unique and it looks like it would be an interesting (possibly even fun) project, why not go for it?

• Like 3

I wholeheartedly agree with your post, @x=usr(1536)! That's partially why I want to see Toypop on the 7800. Before it was a part of Namco Museum Vol. 1 on the PS1, the only home port it ever got was on the Sharp X1 in Japan. The original arcade game never even saw a western release. Hell, a lot of Namco's mid 80's catalog falls into that same boat, as a lot of those games were never released outside of Japan. And what home ports they got were very limited. So yeah, I think it would be great to see these games on 7800 just for people to have other options for playing them. I know that someone started a port of Motos a while back, and I would love to see that get finished one day.

• Like 4

On 9/26/2022 at 3:58 PM, MrFish said:

I think, before wishing for new games, I'd like to see some of the titles from the original library done to a higher standard.

I'd start the list with the following.

Donkey Kong Jr.

Galaga

Karateka

Mario Bros.

There is an excellent hack of Mario Bros. I think it's called Mario Bros Arcade.

Also, I recall someone wrote an outstanding Mario Bros port for the 7800,  But I haven't heard anything about it since. I don't know if the big N sent in their legal ninjas to beat the guy into submission or if I'm just out the loop so much I completely missed the release.

• Like 1

I wanted arcade ports of the older games. The 7800 could do them justice in the way that the 2600 really couldn't.

Pac Man, Asteroids, Berzerk, Scramble, Eagle, Pepper II, Nibbler, Mr Do!, Zoo Keeper, Burgertime, Stargate, Defender, Crush Roller, Donkey Kong 3, Centipede, Kangaroo, Arabian, Rock N Rope, Moon Patrol, missile command, Major Havoc, blasteroids, millipede, Lock N Chase, Venture

Basically any early arcade game that could be done well and where there weren't a bunch of compromises made because of the lack of ability of the hardware.  Some cannot be avoided, like the fact that almost all of the games were portrait instead of the TV's landscape format.  I was always disappointed that you couldn't really have the arcade at home with the 2600, unless it was 70s games like breakout.

Games like Mr Do! and Donkey Kong, 2 games I really liked were travesties on the 2600.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, christo930 said:

Games like Mr Do! and Donkey Kong, 2 games I really liked were travesties on the 2600.

I thought Donkey Kong for the 2600 was pretty good, especially considering the era (a time when games had to be made at pace in the commercial marketplace, rather than decades later with protracted homebrew development cycles). Of course, no doubt it could be done much closer to arcade-perfect on the 7800.

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

Games I wish had come out on the 7800...Here you go

Give or take some. :)

There will always be *that game* or *this game* desired, but overall:

-High quality original titles.

-High quality ports not done previously on the console.

-Better developed ports of some already released titles.

-Sequels/Ports of previous released titles.

-Games that utilize the system's potential.

Genre specific:

More *insert genre here* games... are being developed.  ;)

• Like 9

1 hour ago, Trebor said:

-Sequels/Ports of previous released titles.

Yes.  Sequels of arcade games like DKII on the Intellivision.  I know it is a port of an unofficial ROM upgrade for Donkey Kong machines, but I still think it's a good example of an unofficial sequel to a popular arcade game.  Diner (a Burgertime sequel) is another example from the Intellivision.

One thing I loved about some games on the 7800 was how they would take a traditionally 1 player at a time arcade game and add a two player simultaneous mode that could be competitive or cooperative.   I was able to play more with my sisters with co-op, so they didn't feel like they were losing.  Some games that I think would do well with the enhanced 2 player modes:

1. Any of the Pac-Man games

2. Space Shooters like Galaga / Galaxian / Space Invaders

3. Missile Command

4. Dig Dug

Pretty much any game that doesn't have a scrolling screen. 

11 hours ago, christo930 said:

Pac Man, Asteroids, Berzerk, Scramble, Eagle, Pepper II, Nibbler, Mr Do!, Zoo Keeper, Burgertime, Stargate, Defender, Crush Roller, Donkey Kong 3, Centipede, Kangaroo, Arabian, Rock N Rope, Moon Patrol, missile command, Major Havoc, blasteroids, millipede, Lock N Chase, Venture

image.png.63de55030d7727ac380fd065eac0f72c.png

• Like 4
  • Haha 2

The Arkanoid port looks fantastic - although I'm sure that Atari just wouldn't have liked to have seen that on their system back then given it crushed Super Breakout.

One thing I think would've been great for the 7800 BITD, that would have been realistic, are more ports of 2600/5200 games, as the OP mentioned. I have played Gremlins and it is good fun, I imagine the 7800 would have done it better justice with the higher colors; Space Dungeon too, had the Tramiels released the Proline joystick coupler that they prototyped.

One I'm surprised I rarely see mentioned is Star Raiders. That's the kind of game I would think could work pretty well in one of the 320 modes (or any 1st person space shooter for that matter)

Others that I think the 7800 could do great justice and would've been in Atari's wheelhouse to do:

-Solaris

-Secret Quest

-Combat

-River Raid

-Pitfall II

-Adventure (although at this point, it'd be great to see Cafeman do Adventure III for the ProSystem ;) )

-Yars' Revenge

-Off The Wall

-Enduro

Perhaps Raiders of the Lost Ark or Temple of Doom could have made for a CastleVania style game given that it would've been easier for them to get that license than to get Konami on board (but otherwise, yeah, seeing a bunch of NES greats like CV, Metroid, Zelda, SMB, etc. on the system would have been awesome)

• Like 3

I know this is a Nintendo exclusive and all, but I think Metroid would be a perfect fit for the 7800. Black BGs, creepy and alien-like 8-bit music (Which could be replicated thanks to the POKEY) and kinda drab graphics. Maybe it can run in one of the 320 modes to include a mini-map on top of the screen

• Like 3

I'm all for arcade de-makes, but I would sure love to see a Metroid/Castlevania type of game on the 7800,

it doesn't need to be a straight port either, dozens of Metroivania type of games have been created from 1986 till today.

I for one wont have to be hard-pressed to work on such a game !

Edited by TIX
  • Like 4

1 hour ago, TIX said:

I'm all for arcade de-makes, but I would sure love to see a Metroid/Castlevania type of game on the 7800,

it doesn't need to be a straight port either, dozens of Metroivania type of games have been created from 1986 till today.

I for one wont have to be hard-pressed to work on such a game !

Not exactly a Metroidvania, but...L'Abbaye Des Morts. It's on Commodore 64, so why not the 7800? I'd love to hear more rearrangements of the Euro-style music 😁

• Like 1