IGNORED

Games you wish had come out on the 7800

Silver Back

15 hours ago, AlwaysOnPlanetPatrol said:

Considering I listed the era of 85-88, then my post was about "back in the day".  Is that okay?

When I made the post I was thinking about all the exceptional homebrew that I would've loved as a child, and all the games I had wished would come out as a child. Given that I chose to keep things somewhat time appropriate but I didn't intend to restrict anybody else. 

I didn't really want to put any restrictions on anybody since it's honestly all just fantasy. Most of these games will never see a release on 7800. I put in the "in the future" wording in case somebody got inspired to make new homebrew. There's really no rules here, if you think a de-make of Fortnight would rock on 7800 then great. If you think a port of Final Fantasy 6 would be cool even knowing how limited it would be, then cool.

Although I wouldn't agree on either count, as I said before, all of this is essentially fantasy. Almost none of the games listed will see a port unless one of the many talented homebrew creators already intended to do so or get inspired by something here. The fact that the extremely talented PacManPlus said he intends on doing Sinistar one day was an extremely exciting coincidence.  I never intended or expected that the games must be made. 

And of course, debate the choices!  If you disagree then do so respectfully. If you agree and want to add to somebody else's choices then do that to!  I love inspiring debate and conversation but never intended for people's feelings to get hurt or any of that stuff. So as the OP, hopefully that clears up my intent. 

• Like 4

12 hours ago, save2600 said:

...a baseball game that doesn't suck, indeed! 👍

At least we have Sirius and Plutos now. Be nice if Toki saw the light of day.

Toki is heart breaking to me. On any other platform it just would've been another game but the 7800 could've really used a good platforming adventure game. Of course it was bring worked on well after the console was discontinued but the rom should've been made available IMHO. 

• Like 2

6 hours ago, Silver Back said:

Toki is heart breaking to me. On any other platform it just would've been another game but the 7800 could've really used a good platforming adventure game. Of course it was bring worked on well after the console was discontinued but the rom should've been made available IMHO. 

The TIA music in the prototypes is pretty terrible, to be honest. I doubt people would be able to tolerate it long enough

• 1 month later...

Punch-Out, or especially, Super Punch-Out, if it looked like Defender_2600's mockup...

j38u.thumb.png.b33aeba56ff21447933bbb29478c081f.png

... and played exactly like the original arcade games.

I wanted a home console version of PO or SPO in the worst way when I was a kid in the '80s, and was wicked disappointed when I saw/played Mike Tyson's Punch-Out on the NES.

To this day there's never been a port of either game. MTPO wasn't a port but rather a spin-off or sequel, and the same goes for Super Punch-Out (SNES) and Punch-Out (Wii). Also, playing either game on an emulator, such as MAME or Nintendo Switch, sucks because it's not reformatted for a single screen, but even worse than that, is the lag, which makes Dragon Chan 4+ practically impossible.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

6 hours ago, MaximRecoil said:

Punch-Out, or especially, Super Punch-Out, if it looked like Defender_2600's mockup...

Thanks, I made this mockup several years ago. I haven't calculated the cycles, however the boxing ring is simply the background color and both boxers can be done in 160A mode, with a careful collage of sprites. Therefore, if it were necessary to save several cycles, it is possible to eliminate the graphics of the spectators as in the following example:

945698715_Atari7800Punch-Outmockup.thumb.PNG.335cfb0588cc1d0608abfc4da09109ae.PNG

Don't get distracted by the colors, the result obtained with this update is pretty close to what RevEng kindly showed with his Demo:

Here's another eloquent 7800 Demo, made by playsoft, showing that the arcade version of Punch-Out can run on the 7800:

• Like 6

1 hour ago, Defender_2600 said:

Thanks, I made this mockup several years ago. I haven't calculated the cycles, however the boxing ring is simply the background color and both boxers can be done in 160A mode, with a careful collage of sprites. Therefore, if it were necessary to save several cycles, it is possible to eliminate the graphics of the spectators as in the following example:

945698715_Atari7800Punch-Outmockup.thumb.PNG.335cfb0588cc1d0608abfc4da09109ae.PNG

Don't get distracted by the colors, the result obtained with this update is pretty close to what RevEng kindly showed with his Demo:

Here's another eloquent 7800 Demo, made by playsoft, showing that the arcade version of Punch-Out can run on the 7800:

Oh…this would be cool.

• Like 4

47 minutes ago, Defender_2600 said:

Thanks, I made this mockup several years ago. I haven't calculated the cycles, however the boxing ring is simply the background color and both boxers can be done in 160A mode, with a careful collage of sprites.

You can do the crowd in 160A, do each boxer in 160B, everything in direct mode. That works out to ~330 MARIA cycles on the lines that have all 3, well under the limit. ROM is probably a bigger concern, but MTPO is 256K so I wouldn't feel bad at all about using, say, Bankset 2x128K. I think it's doable, and if somebody wants to do this, I'll offer to help with sound.

• Like 2

Need something to drop my jaw on the floor....

On 9/27/2022 at 1:49 PM, Defender_2600 said:

Looks like you guys have missed the spectacular Arkanoid Port made by mksmith ...

21003400_7800_DOHgraphic_VSarcade.thumb.PNG.c658f6e1b3a8382f18ee2b876fc100de.PNG

2104246500_7800Arkanoid_DOHgraphic_VSNES.thumb.PNG.8a7595d9eb7295a3391e4ece58f57c0e.PNG

On 9/27/2022 at 5:36 PM, PAC-MAN-RED said:

This was the one I did back on June 12, 2013... so it's very close:

post-26314-0-17932600-1371075727.png

On 9/27/2022 at 2:38 PM, Defender_2600 said:

Just to get an idea, here's a 7800 mockup I did some time ago...

msg-29074-0-08232700-1449071262.thumb.png.34c5f23db5becb8252c850362e34c481.png

Still just to get an idea, another my old 7800 mockup...

post-29074-0-99340500-1529586764.thumb.png.3dfe824256dd1c46097930d7382c6c20.png

Thanks a lot!!!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Muddyfunster said:

I love the idea of Punch Out :) 

If you like what you are seeing in the mockup, then let me inform you that all the graphics are already ready for the 7800. I just didn't want to lose detail and I didn't want to overcomplicate things in case there was any interest, so what you are seeing is exactly the arcade graphics. I like this close-up camera effect. :)

• Like 4

6 hours ago, Defender_2600 said:

If the crowd would need to be eliminated I think it would be best to just replace them with black, which would give the impression that it's too dark in the arena to see them:

1.thumb.PNG.02ea63e726c57fc8aac2fb53694c9542.PNG

They used that trick in the original Rocky movie because they didn't have the budget for a huge crowd of extras, so they used low lighting in the spectator area to hide the fact that there weren't many people there:

Rocky_SS_090_600x338.jpg.fc8ad39405d1ec3be7cfe46198ccd606.jpg

But if the crowd can be included like this...

4 hours ago, Pat Brady said:

You can do the crowd in 160A, do each boxer in 160B, everything in direct mode. That works out to ~330 MARIA cycles on the lines that have all 3, well under the limit.

... that would be awesome.

I know nothing about programming, so the only help I could possibly be is play testing. I own arcade Punch-Out and Super Punch-Out boardsets, along with an original cabinet, and can get millions of points on either game, which is well past where they max out in difficulty, so I would notice any gameplay issues in a port of either game.

I wonder if the announcer's voice could be included with the help of Covox. If so, that would be the icing on the cake. I don't know if there's a way to extract the original voice samples directly from the arcade ROMs or not. If not, high-quality recordings can be made, such as by recording directly from the soundcard of a PC while playing it in MAME. It's easy to do in this case because the announcer's voice is on a different channel than the music, crowd noises, and most other sound effects. For example:

https://voca.ro/14EABdaZDHKZ

It's too bad the 7800 controller only has two buttons. You need three for Punch-Out and four for Super Punch-Out. I guess for Punch-Out you could press both buttons at the same time to act as a third button. I don't know how you'd get four buttons though, other than using both controller ports.

Edited by MaximRecoil
  • Like 4

38 minutes ago, Jaden (JRH) said:

I think it would be a great game for the system, because it would make a nice technical showpiece while having fairly simple gameplay.

In my opinion it would be the most impressive arcade port ever created for an 8-bit console if it had the arcade graphics like in Defender_2600's mockup, and had the same gameplay. This was something that the NES couldn't do according to Genyo Takeda:

Genyo Takeda, who produced the Punch-Out!! arcade games, directed the NES versions. Because the NES was not as powerful as the arcade hardware, Takeda and his crew realized that it would be impossible for the NES port to faithfully emulate the arcade graphics. Instead of making the playable boxer wire-framed or transparent to see an opponent, they decided to shorten the playable boxer, so that players could easily see opponents over the large head room of the playable boxer.

Punch-Out had probably the most impressive graphics of any arcade game when it was released. I can't think of any other arcade game released in 1984 or earlier that had such big sprites, not to mention sprite scaling/zooming effects and a see-through wire-frame character. So if a console that was also finished in 1984, and far smaller and drastically cheaper than the ~$2,000 (at the time) arcade 3-PCB stack, could replicate that, it would be amazing.

Edited by MaximRecoil
  • Like 2

53 minutes ago, MaximRecoil said:

If the crowd would need to be eliminated I think it would be best to just replace them with black, which would give the impression that it's too dark in the arena to see them:

If I'm honest, I don't like the black color in that area because I have the feeling that it loses depth (if you look carefully I used three shades of blue for that area), also I think the excessive contrast you get ( compared to the body of boxers) is tiring for the eyes.

54 minutes ago, MaximRecoil said:

But if the crowd can be included like this...

5 hours ago, Pat Brady said:

You can do the crowd in 160A, do each boxer in 160B, everything in direct mode. That works out to ~330 MARIA cycles on the lines that have all 3, well under the limit.

... that would be awesome.

In fact this seems to be no longer a problem.

1 hour ago, MaximRecoil said:

It's too bad the 7800 controller only has two buttons. You need three for Punch-Out and four for Super Punch-Out. I guess for Punch-Out you could press both buttons at the same time to act as a third button. I don't know how you'd get four buttons though, other than using both controller ports.

This is no longer a limitation, we have the technology to use a SNES joypad, as was done for Attack of the PETSCII robots for 7800.

• Like 3

4 minutes ago, Defender_2600 said:

This is no longer a limitation, we have the technology to use a SNES joypad, as was done for Attack of the PETSCII robots for 7800.

Nice. The SNES controller is my all-time favorite home console controller, and I think it has a good layout for PO or SPO. My preference is to use Y & B for left and right punch, right shoulder button for KO punch, and left shoulder button for ducking (ducking only applies to SPO).

23 minutes ago, Defender_2600 said:

If I'm honest, I don't like the black color in that area because I have the feeling that it loses depth (if you look carefully I used three shades of blue for that area), also I think the excessive contrast you get ( compared to the body of boxers) is tiring for the eyes.

In fact this seems to be no longer a problem.

Should this ever truly become a reality, I’m available for testing.

013D1D8D-EF6B-471C-B416-58CFAAB2CBA3.jpeg

• Like 2