IGNORED

Games you wish had come out on the 7800

Silver Back

On 5/24/2023 at 9:59 PM, jeremiahjt said:

I like 7800 Double Dragon. It certainly beats NES Single Dragon.

So I wanted to play the 7800 DD, and so picked up a physical copy. And it actually plays REALLY well. And also doesn't looked nearly as bad on a real TV, not stretched to hell and back.

It also helps to play it with this controller w5xkmf75110b1.png

• Like 2

On 6/1/2023 at 3:15 PM, x=usr(1536) said:

Math Gran Prix.  It makes arithmetic terrific!

A math game would actually be something I'd like to see.  Especially since I'm a dad. Donkey Kong Jr Math!... There's a pipe dream.

I remember a bunch of great math programs for the Apple II.  Math Blaster (Davidson Associates) and Number Munchers (and Fraction Munchers -MECC) were frantastic.  I don't think they did anything that a 7800 couldn't handle.

On 6/3/2023 at 12:22 AM, KrunchyTC said:

So I wanted to play the 7800 DD, and so picked up a physical copy. And it actually plays REALLY well. And also doesn't looked nearly as bad on a real TV, not stretched to hell and back.

It also helps to play it with this controller w5xkmf75110b1.png

I really like those controllers and I can vouch that they make DD more playable.

I always enjoyed 7800 DD.  It's not the best version but I like it. 

10 minutes ago, CaptainBreakout said:

A math game would actually be something I'd like to see.  Especially since I'm a dad. Donkey Kong Jr Math!... There's a pipe dream.

I remember a bunch of great math programs for the Apple II.  Math Blaster (Davidson Associates) and Number Munchers (and Fraction Munchers -MECC) were frantastic.  I don't think they did anything that a 7800 couldn't handle.

I actually thought Math Grand Prix was pretty clever. I could see it holding a couple of kids’ interest for a while. It gave flash cards a competitive wrapper. 

I think the Datasoft flip screen platformers, Bruce Lee, Zorro, and Conan: Halls of Volta would be cool to play with either 7800 controller. Would make the controls a lot easier probably on Zorro and Conan which would make the gameplay experience more forgiving and fun.

I’m not sure how the 7800 would handle the really varied large environments of those games. The sprites obviously would be no problem since they are small, lack detail, and there are never that many on screen at once. The environments/backgrounds may need to look really different because of the graphics hardware differences  between the 7800 and the Apple II, C64, and A8 platforms. I have recently been reading up on the technical capabilities of the 7800 more and I think maybe you could pull off the environment of those games using really big sprites instead of tiles to not use too many Maria cycles per horizontal zone. There wouldn’t be much non-background/environment stuff going on per zone at a time in any of the games most of the time. I think the most comparable 7800 project might be petscii robots or EXO. If the 7800 can run EXO I would think you could squeeze Conan out of it. I haven’t read through the EXO thread to look into how the environments of each flip screen are “built” in terms of sprites vs tiles.