IGNORED

Games you wish had come out on the 7800

Silver Back

I had a small list of dream games for the 7800 (all of which I've spent hours on in their original platforms)... Would be fun to do cart mockups of these.  I'll just list them since I'm short of time...

Game/original platform

Quantum (arcade)

Wings of Fury (Apple II)

Dino Eggs (apple II/C64)

Motos  (arcade)

Drelbs (apple II/Atari 800)

Spare Change (apple II)

Bruce Lee (apple II/C64)

God of Thunder (MS-DOS) 

I invite anyone to try these games out on their original platforms.  I believe it would take very clever programming, but I'd like to think all are possible.

Edited by CaptainBreakout
  • Like 2

On 1/9/2023 at 10:00 PM, JagChris said:

I don't know 1st hand but I seen a video comment from a guy who does both C64 and 8 bit programming that says the 5th Ultima would not have been possible on the 8 bit because it's sprite limitations or somesuch. Since I believe the 7800 has stronger sprite ability I am guessing it would be possible.

Ultima V was designed on Apple II and does not use hardware sprites.   It is tile based.

On 1/9/2023 at 9:26 PM, Karl G said:

Ultima V is an interesting thought. The NES port had a lot of issues, some stemming from poor design choices. I'm definitely curious what limitations of the 8-bit systems made them decide against a port

Ultima V runs on both Apple II and C64, given that there should be no technical reason the Atari 8 couldn't handle it.    Now Origin seemed reluctant to break the 48K RAM and 90K disk limit on previous games because it would leave out 800 and 810 users and limit sales.   U5 would have likely forced them to do that,  maybe even 1050 127K disks weren't even enough since the other 8-bit systems were true double density.

5 hours ago, zzip said:

Ultima V was designed on Apple II and does not use hardware sprites.   It is tile based.

Ultima V runs on both Apple II and C64, given that there should be no technical reason the Atari 8 couldn't handle it.    Now Origin seemed reluctant to break the 48K RAM and 90K disk limit on previous games because it would leave out 800 and 810 users and limit sales.   U5 would have likely forced them to do that,  maybe even 1050 127K disks weren't even enough since the other 8-bit systems were true double density.

Hate to say it but from a commercial standpoint, the owners of the 130XE (128K) were a fraction of an already small Atari 8-bit marketshare compared to Apple II & C64 owners.  And also Atari releasing a double density drive was too little, too late as always...

What could have work to get around the memory and storage issue is releasing the Ultima V and other CRPG on the XEGS bankswitched cart with up to 256K.  It would have worked out better with the XEGS being used for straight home computer ports while leaving the arcade-action stuff for the 7800 which has the better graphics needed.

7 minutes ago, MrMaddog said:

Hate to say it but from a commercial standpoint, the owners of the 130XE (128K) were a fraction of an already small Atari 8-bit marketshare compared to Apple II & C64 owners.  And also Atari releasing a double density drive was too little, too late as always...

Maybe if they'd gotten double density right with the 1050 instead of that weird "enhanced density".   But yeah, the XF551 came way too late in the 8bit lifecycle.

11 minutes ago, MrMaddog said:

What could have work to get around the memory and storage issue is releasing the Ultima V and other CRPG on the XEGS bankswitched cart with up to 256K.  It would have worked out better with the XEGS being used for straight home computer ports while leaving the arcade-action stuff for the 7800 which has the better graphics needed.

I don't know if 256K is enough though..  The C64 version is 5 disks

But Ultima on XEGS cart would be awesome as long as you can still save your games.   The disk swapping gets annoying after awhile.

• Like 1

Just now, zzip said:

Maybe if they'd gotten double density right with the 1050 instead of that weird "enhanced density".   But yeah, the XF551 came way too late in the 8bit lifecycle.

I don't know if 256K is enough though..  The C64 version is 5 disks

But Ultima on XEGS cart would be awesome as long as you can still save your games.   The disk swapping gets annoying after awhile.

Yeah, a disk drive would still be needed for game saves.  In fact a couple XEGS carts used disks like Load Runner, Flight Simulator and Eastern Front 1941.

Maybe they could get more than 256K on a bank switch cart, it was possible to port Ultima games on 8-bit consoles like the NES and SMS.

I think Pac-Land not only should've been developed for the 7800, but it could have also been their pack in and logical answer to SMB on the NES.

Shigeru Miyamoto, the creator of Mario, has stated that Pac-Land (1984) was an inspiration for the original Super Mario Bros. 

It was one of the earliest titles that paved the way for countless of platformers that followed. Below are screens from the TG16 version, but the visuals would absolutely shine on the 7800. Bold bright colors, big and plentiful on-screen sprites, and solid game mechanics would have translated quite well on the ProSystem. Pac-Man is also one of the few iconic leading characters that would hold his own against the Marios and Alex Kidds of the 8-bit era. 

image.thumb.png.7b5c91c84808a94d8246a726a3aa54ff.pngimage.thumb.png.81d80ded364440f8985667236c25abbd.pngimage.thumb.png.1f3ba5b441c65056d31689ed9733036d.pngimage.thumb.png.375877774ac069c4d36173f72176cf6e.png

• Like 5

On a side note this is one of the C64 games I believe this person said would not be possible on the 8bit or very hard to do. I remember looking it up.

But now there is a demo of that very game for the 8bit. We'll see how it turns out.

-nsctVKGFUI

Edited by JagChris

On 1/9/2023 at 7:00 PM, JagChris said:

I don't know 1st hand but I seen a video comment from a guy who does both C64 and 8 bit programming that says the 5th Ultima would not have been possible on the 8 bit because it's sprite limitations or somesuch. Since I believe the 7800 has stronger sprite ability I am guessing it would be possible.

My memory is faulty. Regarding last Ninja it was half res half color or somesuch.

I am really excited about the new SN76489 cart. It allows a programmer to create almost anything reasonable.

One of my favourite games is Hero Quest on the Amiga. It had really catchy music and there is a large collection of fan-generated missions. You take turns by passing the mouse to the next player. It is playable with 1 to 4 players.

The new SN cart has 512k of ROM and 32k of RAM plus a nice sound chip SN76489AN.
I believe this game would be doable on the SN cart.

My current Wizzy adventure eats up all my time just now. So no Hero Quest for now.

• Like 2

On 1/10/2023 at 4:00 AM, JagChris said:

I don't know 1st hand but I seen a video comment from a guy who does both C64 and 8 bit programming that says the 5th Ultima would not have been possible on the 8 bit

Ultima V for C64, besides being on five disks (1.5MB total), uses high resolution multicolor mode (320×200, 2 colors in each 8×8 pixel block). So the option would have been a downgrade in gameplay and graphics.

1274221056_C64highresolutionmulticolormode.thumb.PNG.0cff775e8b67c8f8a60255f7ee0995c5.PNG

41 minutes ago, Defender_2600 said:

Ultima V for C64, besides being on five disks (1.5MB total), uses high resolution multicolor mode (320×200, 2 colors in each 8×8 pixel block). So the option would have been a downgrade in gameplay and graphics.

This is true of Ultima 1-4 though too     They were developed on Apple II and rely on its artifacting which provides a 6 color palette of Black, White, Red, Green, Blue, Purple.    Ultima 2-4 run in high-res 320x192 on Atari 8-bit too using four color artifacting-  it often takes some tweaks to get the colors right.   I think Ultima I might run in a lower res on Atari.

On Commodore they add some extra colors to the game.   I'm sure the Atari version would more closely mirror the Apple graphics like they had always done

Edited by zzip
  • Like 2

• 2 weeks later...