IGNORED

5200 port of Scorch

pirx

The grand kid wanted to know what game this was so we played this for a while and he really likes this this game, good job.

game ver.   1.23

issues with our game

2 player, 1 controller - game crashed holding fire button to change to weapon select screen.

2 player, 2 controller - "                                                                                                 "

we played i think 6 games and it crashed on 2 of them.

required machine reset to get going again.

• Like 1

@RB5200 Thank you! This is important! Could you please let us know which version of 5200 you have (4 controller vs 2 controller)? It turned out we tested it with a single ROM version only. In another thread I asked what ROM versions are in the wild.

Could you also tell us how did it look like? It freezes with game screen / black screen / non responsive inventory / other effect?

Edited by pirx

4 port machine/4 port bias  

pressing fire button a few sec. to get to weapon/defense select screen, when screen wants to change over it would flash a few different colors and then goes black. does not happen all the time just once in a while. and so far its only done it with 2 human player selected.

• Like 1

Thanks to contributions from @RB5200 we have a new version!

https://github.com/pkali/scorch_src/releases/tag/v1.25

###### Version 1.25
2023-01-17

Y2K Compliance Edition
This version is 5200 SuperSystem focused.
- the correct production year in the splash screens!!!
- very rare hangups when accessing the inventory seemingly eliminated, thanks @RB5200 for testing!
- a new feature - pressing [Tab] (atari800) or [5] (5200) when selecting the wind power switches wind mode to changing with each turn, which makes aiming arguably more challenging! It is indicated by "?" next to the "Wind" in the main menu.
- all these changes were made possible thanks to the extensive code size optimization by @Pecus

Edited by pirx
  • Like 4

14 hours ago, pirx said:

Thanks to contributions from @RB5200 we have a new version!

https://github.com/pkali/scorch_src/releases/tag/v1.25

###### Version 1.25
2023-01-17

Y2K Compliance Edition
This version is 5200 SuperSystem focused.
- the correct production year in the splash screens!!!
- very rare hangups when accessing the inventory seemingly eliminated, thanks @RB5200 for testing!
- a new feature - pressing [Tab] (atari800) or [5] (5200) when selecting the wind power switches wind mode to changing with each turn, which makes aiming arguably more challenging! It is indicated by "?" next to the "Wind" in the main menu.
- all these changes were made possible thanks to the extensive code size optimization by @Pecus

I have the day off from work tomorrow (only scheduled to work both today and Thursday so I once again have to dig into my saved up vacation pay) so when I fire up the laptop I'll indeed upload it to my Atarimax and try her out.

->link<-

###### Version 1.26
2023-01-23

Early morning edition. It is 5:11 am and I am writing this instead of dreaming of electric sheep.
For the last 6 weeks, the versions we released had an awful bug - the conversations of tanks were completely invisible. Thanks for pointing this out, @RB5200 .
- tanks talk to each other again
- better stochastic non-blocking wait one frame
- rare distance measurement bug fixed (rarely a tank survived a direct hit)
- 5200: second fire (by @RB5200)
- "visual debug" mode in A800 version, triggered by pressing [CTRL]+[HELP]. It displays distances measured, laser aiming, and aiming technique. It leaves a mess on the screen, but it does not impair the game, just makes it a bit harder.

Edited by pirx
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 1/17/2023 at 10:30 AM, x=usr(1536) said:

@pirx: unrelated, but I just noticed that you've got a fork of the TNFS driver for FUSE underway.

THANK YOU.

This is something I would just about kill for a working version of.  Bonus points if it also builds for macFUSE.

unfortunately i failed miserably when tried >2 years ago, not my fault, the pyfuse and other libs were shite then (for fuse3). command line python3 interface worked though.
i am trying too many projects at the moment, but this is certainly on a list. I do not know about macs unfortunately, never had a mac, but it should not be super hard if python bindings work ok.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

->link<-

###### Version 1.27
2023-02-07

Late evening edition. It is 2:11 am and I am writing this instead of dreaming of electric sheep.
Our Senior Executive Art Director @+Adam+ ordered us to stop procrastinating and finally release the version with colorized mountains. So here it is. Enjoy :)
Please note you can still press [Tab] or [5] in the main menu and revert to the classic or classy look of the "Polish rainbow" (it's a reference to a strangely accurate Wulffmorgenthaler comic strip: ->link<-
Other changes:
- nicer Lazy targeting and "visual Debug" for Lazy Boys
- extreme memory optimizations to fit 2 new texts from @RB5200 based on "Sandford and Son"
- fix for [G] key bug when turn wind changes were selected
- fix for Lazy Boys deactivation bug
- PAL mode now has got the full-color table, so it is possible to adjust colors better
- the x-position of tanks was always adjusted to even X values, this is no more, which saves some hassle and unnecessary tank shakes left and right. As tanks are painted with sprites of a lower resolution, a rare artifact might appear here and there.
- improved tank shapes

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

• 7 months later...
On 9/27/2022 at 1:29 PM, pirx said:

After a very difficult struggle with memory requirements and help from @miker we have a version of Scorch (Scorched Earth demake) ported for 5200. Unfortunately I do not have the console, so testing with emulators only. 
And here is the problem - the game works OK in the atari800 emulator (and derivatives), but fails miserably in Altirra. I guess it will fail on the real hardware as well, because of @phaeron prowess and the Altirra emulation accuracy.

By fail I mean it does not recognize joystick being in a neutral position. For analog->digital conversion I used @JAC! procedure from Alien Swarm (almost) verbatim, but I guess I am doing it wrong :) (had to change POTx to PADDLEx because of using deferred VBI - POTs seem to be depleted in deferred)

Anyways, could you try the attached ROM on the real machine?

The source code is here: https://github.com/pkali/scorch_src/tree/develop, to compile 5200 version you need to change `TARGET` in scorch.asm. The joy division starts at line 1240 in the same file.

The game itself right now uses only joystick and a single button. The texts are from A800 version, will be adjusted. pressing the trigger for a longer time in the game drops you to an inventory where you can select weapons. in the inventory and shop move joy left to switch between defensive and offensive weapons, joystick right selects a weapon. fire gets you back to the game. We'll probably employ numpad keys for easier access to different functions, like on A800.

All comments welcome.

scorch.bin 32 kB · 49 downloads

Thank you for this game!  It works great on my 5200. My only suggestion is the text is somewhat small at the end of each round.  Everything else for me is great. 

• Like 1

On 9/20/2023 at 7:59 AM, Albert said:

Scorch for the Atari 5200 will see its debut at the upcoming Portland Retro Gaming Expo!  Here's a preview of the beautiful box art put together by @Atariboy2600 (John Calcano): 

5200_Scorch_Render_Boxes.jpg

If you're not able to attend the Portland Retro Gaming Expo, Scorch will be available in the AtariAge Store in November. 

..Al

Looking really sharp AL! Vey impressive! 

52 minutes ago, Atariboy2600 said:

Okay just print it out and used scotch tape and seem to work okay for me.

IMG_20230924_011204776.jpg

IMG_20230924_011627241.jpg

IMG_20230924_013257021.jpg

IMG_20230924_013304826.jpgIMG_20230924_013319373.jpg

I've got some card stock. I'll dig it out tomorrow and make one of those. Looking forward to getting the game when it hits the AA store.

It's a tankless job, but somebody's got to do it.

• Like 1
  • Haha 3