IGNORED

1942 - It needs a thread...

Trebor

2 hours ago, slx said:

I browsed through all the "subchapters" and it is mentioned neither there nor in the youtube description where all the other games are listed....:(

1 hour ago, Greg2600 said:

They haven't posted last night's video to YouTube yet.  I cannot stand Twitch, as they constantly expire my password and resetting is the worst process ever.  

This link 'should' work to view the 1942 premiere video without a need to log into Twitch:

https://www.twitch.tv/videos/1603234817

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

11 hours ago, Silver Back said:

Incredibly exciting. Unfortunately I couldn't catch the stream but hopefully the YouTube upload is coming soon. 

9 hours ago, Greg2600 said:

They haven't posted last night's video to YouTube yet.  I cannot stand Twitch, as they constantly expire my password and resetting is the worst process ever.  

Here you go, it just went live on YouTube! Skip to 40m18s for the start of my playthrough to stage 20.

- James

(WATCH AT 1080P60 FOR BEST QUALITY)

• Like 9

16 hours ago, playsoft said:

The music uses the YM2151 with a really simple player, just a list of delay (frames), channel and note. I was able to generate this data from the arcade/NES .vgm files and the C64 .mid file. The OPM instruments were taken from the fb1_factory collection, I only use 6 different instruments but really liked JOrgan1 so that gets used a lot!

Are you going to implement an arcade-authentic music track?  I think I recall someone saying this was a possibility on the stream.  The game looks outstanding.  It sounds great too. I just would like to be able to play with the original sound.

@playsoft and @TIX

Wow - this is an incredible port! gfx and scrolling, snd and playability looks brilliant. The 7800 is an untapped machine and Paul you have taken it to a new level my friend!  Scrolling and shooters for mine are not represented enough on the platform - well done!  

Like James I played the c64 and arcade versions growing up and love this game.  

• Like 7
  • Thanks 2

12 hours ago, christo930 said:

Are you going to implement an arcade-authentic music track?  I think I recall someone saying this was a possibility on the stream.  The game looks outstanding.  It sounds great too. I just would like to be able to play with the original sound.

The original background music is present, but it is only used on the title screen and the % and point up stages. I don't want to add any new options, but I could extend the audio options to include this.

The original background music is the weakest of the .vgm conversions. I tried so many different OPM instruments, but I couldn't find one with the raspy whistle of the arcade. All the whistles and pipes were too pure, making the music difficult to tolerate! We settled on one called "pan_flo" (some sort of pan pipe/flute?) which sounds more like morse code than a whistle, but it is a lot easier to listen to.

• Like 4

8 hours ago, mksmith said:

Scrolling and shooters for mine are not represented enough on the platform - well done!  

Thanks a lot Matt. Back in the day I went from the A8 to the ST and missed out on the 7800, so I had no preconceptions. I mentioned to a programming friend that I was going to try and do something on the 7800 and his immediate reply was "oh, no scrolling then!". So, there is some sort of misconception out there, as I think the 7800 has great scrolling capabilities.

• Like 5

The game looks fantastic and I can't wait to play it. However I only have the concerto and according to the stream it won't work on that currently and even if it does via patch the sound won't work ever. I understand there's a new multicart coming that I'm sure I'll invest in, but has there been any talks with Albert or Shawn about a limited cartridge release?  

11 minutes ago, Silver Back said:

The game looks fantastic and I can't wait to play it. However I only have the concerto and according to the stream it won't work on that currently and even if it does via patch the sound won't work ever. I understand there's a new multicart coming that I'm sure I'll invest in, but has there been any talks with Albert or Shawn about a limited cartridge release?  

The sound effects would still work as that uses the TIA inside the 7800. But the music is only through the FM chip in the DF cart and yes, has been emulated in the upcoming 7800GD from SainT.

So I imagine that if the concerto is patched to work and support the initial game at least, that you can still play it but SFX only for the time being.

As for a cart release, this has been discussed and since the YM chips are really needed for the full game experience, I'm not sure how feasible that really is and I believe it has been discussed as being a ROM only release. If that plan has changed, then I'm sure I will be corrected post haste.

5 minutes ago, -^CrossBow^- said:

But the music is only through the FM chip in the DF cart and yes, has been emulated in the upcoming 7800GD from SainT.

Wasn't someone possibly working on a passthru FM cart???

I thought I remember something about that...

Edited by desiv

5 minutes ago, desiv said:

Wasn't someone possibly working on a passthru FM cart???

I thought I remember something about that...

@rj1307 Was and I think he might have even released his schemes for it so that others could work on it and make it an actuality? 

FM synthesis is oooooold tech and there are a ton of compatible, reverse-engineered chips that can do it. I can’t imagine there isn’t some kind of workable chip that could be found in suitable quantities with some effort. 

Of course, the question then becomes how much effort is it worth if a physical release isn’t planned? 

19 minutes ago, DrVenkman said:

FM synthesis is oooooold tech and there are a ton of compatible, reverse-engineered chips that can do it. I can’t imagine there isn’t some kind of workable chip that could be found in suitable quantities with some effort. 

Of course, the question then becomes how much effort is it worth if a physical release isn’t planned? 

I think the main issue is the design of a board just for this game to allow the use of a YM2151 to be used. And that is assuming you can find a reliable source for the chips that are fake badged and non working. Ran into this more than once with the YM3438s when I was offering synth chip swapouts in Genesis/MD systems some years back.

30 minutes ago, -^CrossBow^- said:

I think the main issue is the design of a board just for this game to allow the use of a YM2151 to be used. And that is assuming you can find a reliable source for the chips that are fake badged and non working. Ran into this more than once with the YM3438s when I was offering synth chip swapouts in Genesis/MD systems some years back.

Why use a vintage YM chip at all? As I said, FM synthesis is old tech and has been implemented in a bazillion different chips. You could even do what the PenguinSoft guys did for Rikki & Vikki and just use a modern ARM or microcontroller to play a tracker tune for music. Lots of ways to skin the cat if you want to do a physical release. 

But if no physical release is intended, then of course it’s not worth the time and effort.