IGNORED

1942 - It needs a thread...

Trebor

11 hours ago, playsoft said:

I would much prefer everyone play the full version, but I have been able to build a 128K "small" ROM of the game which only includes a single background (the island graphics). It also lacks the YM music, but you wouldn't get that anyway. It appears to run OK on RetroArch and Prosystem.

Concerto owners can also run this build while waiting for the firmware update. It seems to run OK, other than interference on characters in the title and high score screens.

1942sr.a78 128.13 kB · 121 downloads

So marvelous !

Thx so much!!!

Seems to work very nice!

👍👍👍👍

Good Time is now!!

• Haha 1

12 hours ago, playsoft said:

Concerto owners can also run this build while waiting for the firmware update. It seems to run OK, other than interference on characters in the title and high score screens.

Thanks Paul for the Concerto build - much appreciated 😊😊😊  For anyone unsure, 128K roms on Concerto currently all show these graphical interference on the existing firmware.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

35 minutes ago, tkarner said:

I know the idea of a physical release was already shot down (pun intended) but I'd REALLY love to have this on cartridge. I'd be willing to pay extra for a YM-equipped cartridge for a game of this quality.

I am with you there, would love to have a cart of this awesome game. The music is awesome!!

2 minutes ago, Eagle said:

BTW DragonFly "Extended" version only plays Pokey music on DF with new firmware.

Uses second 16KB RAM (hotspot at $FFFF)

Just curious since I honestly don’t know - can you disable the YM module in the DragonFly settings in order to test out the “Extended” version with POKEY sound? 

And while I’m fooling around, I guess I should be the Concerto version onto my SD card and test the POKEY music in that build, too. 

Edit: Nevermind; I had missed that this does actually exist now.

25 minutes ago, DrVenkman said:

And while I’m fooling around, I guess I should be the Concerto version onto my SD card and test the POKEY music in that build, too. 

It doesn't look like there's a Concerto version with POKEY sound, probably due to the limited ROM size supported on the Concerto.

Just now, Karl G said:

It doesn't look like there's a Concerto version with POKEY sound, probably due to the limited ROM size supported on the Concerto.

See a couple posts above:

3 hours ago, playsoft said:

Over the weekend I received an excellent POKEY RMT version of the C64 music by @miker - many thanks! I've included it in the "small ROM" build so that Concerto owners now have some great music while playing (I couldn't get it to work in Prosystem alas).

1942sr.a78 128.13 kB · 3 downloads

• Thanks 1

9 minutes ago, DrVenkman said:

Just curious since I honestly don’t know - can you disable the YM module in the DragonFly settings in order to test out the “Extended” version with POKEY sound? 

Yes you can. What you need to do, is hold down the two center buttons on the top of the DF as you power it on. This puts it into SETUP mode and starts off with POKEY. But basically use the buttons to navigate until you see YM INSTALLED. Select that one and choose the option to disable. That effectively makes the DF appear to no longer have a YM module should you want to force that.

Turning it back on, is the opposite.

• Like 3

10 hours ago, playsoft said:

Over the weekend I received an excellent POKEY RMT version of the C64 music by @miker - many thanks! I've included it in the "small ROM" build so that Concerto owners now have some great music while playing (I couldn't get it to work in Prosystem alas).

1942sr.a78 128.13 kB · 7 downloads

Wait wait wait...is it just me, or did you initially say you didn't want to bother with adding a POKEY version of the music? What changed your mind?

Edited by Cris1997XX

1942sr.a78 128.13 kB · 9 downloads

How awesome thanks Paul! We use an early version of the RMT engine for the PETSCII music - sounds fantastic 👏👏👏

• Like 2

1942sr.a78 128.13 kB · 8 downloads

I gave this one a try and as noted in Paul's earlier post of the Concerto version sans music, there is graphical corruption of the text in the title and high score screens. Once in-game, however, it looks, plays and sounds great!

Hopefully Fred can get us a new Concerto firmware eventually that corrects issues like this.

• Like 3

12 hours ago, playsoft said:

I also created an "Extended" build for DragonFly owners who don't have the YM module. If it doesn't detect the YM it will use @miker's POKEY music.

1942ex.a78 256.13 kB · 11 downloads

I gave this build a try, too. The auto-YM Detection with POKEY fallback works great! Disabled the YM module in my Dragonfly and it played the POKEY soundtrack; when I re-enabled the YM module, the YM sound was auto-detected and used instead. Very slick. :)

• Like 2

Been playing with the new builds with my CC2.

I couldn't get the 256k version to run with music with the 256k banking files I tried that listed Pokey.

(A couple of the banking files ran the game fine, just without any music.  I think I tested all the banking files I have, but I'll double check later.  There are a lot of banking options... ;-)

I did get the 128k version to run with music!

HOME: 1942-128k                    1942-SR        128R16PK    78BIOS

Sounds great!!!

Thanx!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

13 hours ago, DrVenkman said:

I gave this one a try and as noted in Paul's earlier post of the Concerto version sans music, there is graphical corruption of the text in the title and high score screens. Once in-game, however, it looks, plays and sounds great!

Notice how some characters are OK?

On the title/high-score screens, the character set is in cart RAM, the corrupt characters have their ids in ROM and the clean ones have their ids in internal RAM.

In-game, the only characters are the score and high-score digits, the character set is in ROM and the character ids are in internal RAM.

So, here it looks like an issue when Maria is fetching ids from ROM and character data from cart RAM.

• Like 3

8 hours ago, desiv said:

I couldn't get the 256k version to run with music with the 256k banking files I tried that listed Pokey.

(A couple of the banking files ran the game fine, just without any music.  I think I tested all the banking files I have, but I'll double check later.  There are a lot of banking options... ;-)

I don't think you'll get that working because it is using a new cart RAM banking scheme which is specific to DragonFly. This has allowed me to include the POKEY music without having to remove anything to free up RAM.

The DF cart RAM banking scheme is very similar to the "bankram" scheme, but I have no way of testing that. I will generate and PM you a "bankram" build to see if you are able to run that on CC2.

• Like 2

14 hours ago, mksmith said:

How awesome thanks Paul! We use an early version of the RMT engine for the PETSCII music - sounds fantastic 👏👏👏

Yes @miker did a great job with the music. I've only heard a short clip of the PETSCII music on that video which went through all the different versions, but I agree, it did sound fantastic!

• Like 2