IGNORED

1942 - It needs a thread...

Trebor

I just had the chance to play this. Excellent work!!! I had to give the NES version a try because it has been so many years and the quality difference in this 7800 version vs. the NES is simply amazing. I didn't realize how bad the NES version is/was. I actually had a hard time enjoying the NES version back in the day but had to drag myself away from the this 7800 version.

• Like 3

• 2 weeks later...
27 minutes ago, NIKON said:

This is probably going to sound silly  BUT  what is the difference between the difficulty settings?????

It affects the fire power of your P38 and the small enemy planes.

From here: "The game was written for NTSC but supports PAL. The slower refresh rate makes it easier, so it defaults to the hardest difficulty setting on a PAL console."

@playsoft may wish to provide more detailed specifics.

55 minutes ago, Trebor said:

It affects the fire power of your P38 and the small enemy planes.

From here: "The game was written for NTSC but supports PAL. The slower refresh rate makes it easier, so it defaults to the hardest difficulty setting on a PAL console."

@playsoft may wish to provide more detailed specifics.

Ahhh  okay.....Thank You!!

• Like 1

• 1 month later...
18 hours ago, karri said:

Congratulations! Really nice gameplay.

That is the benefit of doing a port - as long as you can copy the game closely enough you know what you are getting in terms of gameplay. So hats off to people like yourself doing original games.

16 hours ago, Muddyfunster said:

Congratulations Paul, 1942 is a fantastic port!

Thanks Lewis, congratulations on the TWO awards you did win this year!

4 hours ago, mksmith said:

@playsoft @TIX Congrats to you both for this amazing conversion - very much a deserved winner 👏👏👏

Thanks Matt, when I saw the nominations I thought Petscii was the favourite - it or Keystone Koppers could easily have won.

• Like 9
  • Thanks 1

14 hours ago, mksmith said:

@playsoft @TIX Congrats to you both for this amazing conversion - very much a deserved winner 👏👏👏

Thanks Matt,

I don't care so much for the award, but it's always a thrill to see a project you worked on, get some love !

Congratulations Paul, I can't wait for the next big thing  🤘

Edited by TIX
  • Like 4
  • Thanks 1

10 hours ago, Corby said:

Well anyways, I haven't said this in quiet awhile but, I'd like to be on a list for when this badboy gets crammed into a 7800 cart! 

There will not be a cart release.  The developer has made mention of no physical cartridge release on a few occasions.  It is just a free ROM release.

• Like 4

On 10/7/2022 at 10:41 AM, playsoft said:

The YM2151@460 bit in the cart header causes JS7800 to select the wrong bank switching scheme.

Thanks @playsoft! This info save me hours of debugging time :) My 256KB build is working on JS7800 but now I have to make sure that is XM enabled in settings. How did you avoided that issue?

42 minutes ago, Eagle said:

Thanks @playsoft! This info save me hours of debugging time :) My 256KB build is working on JS7800 but now I have to make sure that is XM enabled in settings. How did you avoided that issue?

In the JS7800 build I omit the YM2151@460 bit in the header but I have XM enabled:

7800 A78 Header Info   : 1942j.a78

embedded game name : 1942
    rom size           : 262144
    cart format        : SuperGame ram@4000
    controllers        : 7800joy1 7800joy2
    save peripheral    : HSC
    xm/xboard          : enabled
    tv format          : NTSC

One other thing is that JS7800 does not support the YM timers, so you cannot use them to detect YM presence. In the JS7800 build I let it do the detection, but when it fails I pretend that it was detected!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• 1 month later...

Apologies if missed it but I have a new Concerto cart with the latest .96 2023 firmware and have a quik question.

FYI:

Concerto cartridge

https://erstwhile-technologies-7800.square.site/product/concerto-cartridge/5?cs=true&cst=custom

Sound chip option: HOKEY (Basic version, socketed)

Having read through a few theads briefly, including this one, I understand the current .96 firmware doesn't currently support >128k roms.

However I seem to recall somewhere was mentioned a future firmware release will rectify this to allow up to 256k rom's to run?

I would love to be able to play the likes of 1942 on my 7800 using Concerto.  :)

If I've misread/misunderstood and this is not planned/supported then fair enough.

tia

4 hours ago, Beeblebrox said:

Having read through a few theads briefly, including this one, I understand the current .96 firmware doesn't currently support >128k roms.

However I seem to recall somewhere was mentioned a future firmware release will rectify this to allow up to 256k rom's to run?

I would love to be able to play the likes of 1942 on my 7800 using Concerto.  :)

If I've misread/misunderstood and this is not planned/supported then fair enough.

Check the Concerto directory in the latest version of Trebor's 7800 ROM PROPack - it should contain the small ROM version of 1942, which works on the Concerto ;-)

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, x=usr(1536) said:

Check the Concerto directory in the latest version of Trebor's 7800 ROM PROPack - it should contain the small ROM version of 1942, which works on the Concerto ;-)

Thanks. I tried trebor's rom pro pack initially before I'd posted as it wasn't working. However perhaps I have an old pack or I was trying the version in the homebrew folder instead. I'll try the one you linked to from the concerto folder specifically tmrw. Thanks :)

• Like 1

@x=usr(1536)  you star, just found the 1942 cut down version in the concerto folder. Loaded fine. :)

Great game (the 3 mins I've played so far). Now all I need is to get to grips with the controls. No matter what I do I cannot stop my bomber plane doing a loop the loop every few seconds when moving around the screen shooting. I am using a standard atari 7800 Pro controller joystick. Perhaps there is something in the controller menu of the game. 

Anyway, thanks. 

Still would be good to know of a future firmware is in the pipeline to allow the concerto to run 256k a78 roms. :)

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Beeblebrox said:

No matter what I do I cannot stop my bomber plane doing a loop the loop every few seconds when moving around the screen shooting. I am using a standard atari 7800 Pro controller joystick.

I tried the version from the PROPack on Concerto and I do not see the issue using either a euro pad, proline or even a single button A8 joystick.

9 minutes ago, Beeblebrox said:

Still would be good to know of a future firmware is in the pipeline to allow the concerto to run 256k a78 roms.

I think the best place to ask would be in the Concerto firmware topic. All I can do is repeat what I was told, which would have been around Jan/Feb 2022, that support will be added in the next major firmware release.

• Thanks 1