IGNORED

Save the Dinos!

Karl G

Save the Dinos! is my tribute to NASA's recent DART mission. It was hastily coded and only lightly tested, but is a good proof of the game concept. I may or may not develop it further at some point.

savedino.bas_3.thumb.png.b64b32d516e9a289b94d27f4e92c4096.png

Premise

You are a chronozoologist who studies the development of animal life throughout time on all manner of alien worlds. Your current task is to learn how the dinosaurs of the planet Earth would have continued to evolve had they not been wiped out by a stray asteroid.

Your team has developed three Dinosaur Asteroid Rerouting Tactical System probes to divert the asteroid before it can hit Earth. However, the Time Preservation Society has heard of your plans, and is sending more asteroids to Earth. Your team is working as fast as it can to create more probes to divert these asteroids as well. Use them well, and save the dinosaurs!

Gameplay Instructions

Press the joystick fire button to launch a probe. Press Up to thrust, and Left and Right to change the direction of the probe. Steer the probe to an intercept course with the incoming asteroid at an angle that will change its velocity in such a way as to miss Earth. If you don't get a good enough hit with the first probe, then you may launch another to try again if you are quick enough.

One point and one new probe is gained with every successful asteroid deflection. For every 10 asteroids deflected, you gain one additional probe for your reserves. The game ends when you run out of probes to launch, or when one of the asteroids hits the Earth.

Release 1 (NTSC)

savedino.bin

Release 1 (PAL60)

savedino-PAL60.bin

• Like 18

1 hour ago, DeafAtariFromKansas said:

Update: I got myself hooked,. I reached 63 points, pretty a bit rough..

Awesome! You are probably the world record holder for this game. 🙂

With every 10 points, the downward velocity of the asteroids increases a little bit, so at some point it likely becomes impossible to deflect the asteroid. I'm not sure what point that is though since I'm not good enough at the game to find out. 😅

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

On 10/3/2022 at 5:47 PM, Karl G said:

Awesome! You are probably the world record holder for this game. 🙂

With every 10 points, the downward velocity of the asteroids increases a little bit, so at some point it likely becomes impossible to deflect the asteroid. I'm not sure what point that is though since I'm not good enough at the game to find out. 😅

Another update for this... 💥

Save the Dinos! (Homebrew) .png

• Like 2

ZeroPage Homebrew is playing Save the Dinos! on tomorrow's stream LIVE on Twitch, hope you can join us!

Games:

(WATCH AT 1080P60 FOR BEST QUALITY)

767024554_SaveTheDinos.thumb.png.090a4a42352865a7d10c2f39bd74dca3.png

• 2 weeks later...
10 hours ago, Karl G said:

Done! I've added one to the first post. Let me know if you see any color oddities.

Colors look fine on my (crappy) PAL CRT. The title screen dino has a nice green and the earth has nice green/blue colors. I'll take some pictures tomorrow.

Did you considered using the kernel option no_blank_lines?

set kernel_options no_blank_lines

I think the earth would look better and as far as I can see the game is not using both missiles.

25 minutes ago, Al_Nafuur said:

Colors look fine on my (crappy) PAL CRT. The title screen dino has a nice green and the earth has nice green/blue colors. I'll take some pictures tomorrow.

Did you considered using the kernel option no_blank_lines?

set kernel_options no_blank_lines

I think the earth would look better and as far as I can see the game is not using both missiles.

Yes, I considered that, but no_blank_lines doesn't work with pfheights, and without the latter, the Earth would be much too blocky. 

28 minutes ago, Karl G said:

Yes, I considered that, but no_blank_lines doesn't work with pfheights, and without the latter, the Earth would be much too blocky. 

Would pfres=32 and SC-RAM work?

https://www.randomterrain.com/atari-2600-memories-batari-basic-commands.html#pfres

25 minutes ago, Al_Nafuur said:

It probably would, but I don't think it's worth using superchip RAM just to get rid of the lines for the Earth. If I wanted to do that, I would probably just redo the game in assembly where I could make a custom kernel and make it look better yet.

• Like 2

14 hours ago, Karl G said:

It probably would, but I don't think it's worth using superchip RAM just to get rid of the lines for the Earth. If I wanted to do that, I would probably just redo the game in assembly where I could make a custom kernel and make it look better yet.

I modified @RevEng's starfield example to use pfcolors and pfres=32 with 8kSC

image.thumb.png.de49aa755f3b4da8e4fd13dcda8645ec.png

but the earth is 1/3 higher than the pfheights variant and looks blocky even though the "Icing" effect helps a bit.

source code:

bbstarfield.bas

binary:

bbstarfield.bas.bin

The multisprite kernel would be an option to get a higher vertical playfield resolution.

pros:

• the resolution can be up to 2 (real) playfield lines
  • the playfield data can be in ROM
  • playfield is mirrored so only 1/2 of the ROM space is needed

cons:

•  pfcolors doesn't work with multisprite kernel

As far As I remember @splendidnut did some experiments with changing the background color in the multisprite kernel when he developed the custom multisprite/multicolor kernel for 1942.

• 1 month later...