IGNORED

VCS exclusive content for Recharged series

Tommy2D

I've really been enjoying the "Recharged" series.  I don't have a VCS and I've been happy to play the games, on PC, but I was curious about how VCS owners felt about the exclusive content.  Is it mostly just additional challenges or are there other exclusive features that you enjoy? 

I came really close to buying a VCS, when it was on sale but I didn't pull the trigger. 

On 10/1/2022 at 12:00 PM, SabertoothRetro said:

The earlier games (Centipede. Black Widow, Asteroids) had VCS exclusive challenges. That seemed to have ended with Breakout. As others have said, it really comes down to Classic Controller support.

Thanks for the responses.  I just looked into using the VCS Classic Controller, on PC, but apparently the twist function doesn't work. 😠  At least, that's what several posts mention.  

Does anyone happen to know if that issue is resolved? 

Side note: Gravitar looks fun and the visuals remind me, a little, of the underwater sequences from "Rayman Legends".  As a super-fan of Rayman Origins/Legends, that is genuinely high praise. I think that it'll be my next Recharged Series pickup, then maybe Yars Revenge and Breakout, eventually. 

3 hours ago, Tommy2D said:

Thanks for the responses.  I just looked into using the VCS Classic Controller, on PC, but apparently the twist function doesn't work. 😠  At least, that's what several posts mention.  

Does anyone happen to know if that issue is resolved? 

Side note: Gravitar looks fun and the visuals remind me, a little, of the underwater sequences from "Rayman Legends".  As a super-fan of Rayman Origins/Legends, that is genuinely high praise. I think that it'll be my next Recharged Series pickup, then maybe Yars Revenge and Breakout, eventually. 

The Twist function doesn't generally work on PC, although it will work in Stella without issue. I unfortunately don't expect twist compatibility on Steam, Epic Games, etc any time soon. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Mockduck said:

The Twist function doesn't generally work on PC, although it will work in Stella without issue. I unfortunately don't expect twist compatibility on Steam, Epic Games, etc any time soon. 

I saw a video where a chap got the twist working, on Stella. It's too bad that it won't work on the modern PC platforms. 

I just picked up Gravitar and I'm enjoying it.  It's very odd that you can't remap the left/right thrusters keys from A and D to something like the directional keys.  I immediately remapped those controls, in Asterorids Recharged, and it feels much more natural, to me, on my laptop keyboard. 

I thought that I might be crazy but I found a thread of folks with the same complaint, on a Steam forum. 

I suppose that I'll have to break out a gamepad, for Gravitar, or get used to the "mandatory" keyboard controls. 

18 hours ago, Tommy2D said:

I saw a video where a chap got the twist working, on Stella. It's too bad that it won't work on the modern PC platforms. 

I just picked up Gravitar and I'm enjoying it.  It's very odd that you can't remap the left/right thrusters keys from A and D to something like the directional keys.  I immediately remapped those controls, in Asterorids Recharged, and it feels much more natural, to me, on my laptop keyboard. 

I thought that I might be crazy but I found a thread of folks with the same complaint, on a Steam forum. 

I suppose that I'll have to break out a gamepad, for Gravitar, or get used to the "mandatory" keyboard controls. 

Better button remapping and better compatibility with things like third party controllers, trackballs, and fight sticks is a big oversight on these games.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Mockduck said:

Better button remapping and better compatibility with things like third party controllers, trackballs, and fight sticks is a big oversight on these games.

I managed to get used to WAD for thrust/direction but it is still kind of baffling why they wouldn't allow remapping of all controls. Thrust is remappable but not direction?...Yeah, that makes perfect sense. 

I'm going to try it, on a DS4, later on, to see how that goes but I am enjoying it, even with the available keyboard controls.  

IMHO: They managed to hit that sweet spot where the visuals look simple but not cheap.  The backgrounds have some subtle depth, the assets are consistent and the colors are very pleasant. The overall aesthetic is relaxing, which is a nice contrast to the inherent tension of navigating through narrow passages, etc.  

It doesn't have that single screen score attack headspace like Asteroids or Centipede but it almost qualifies as an adventure game.  I'll say it again, it's a bit like the Rayman of the Recharged series, which I consider to be high praise. 

I'm definitely going to keep an eye on future releases from AdamVision and Sneakybox , even beyond Atari properties.  

• Like 1