IGNORED

Sega Master System HSC - 2022 Summer Round 9 - Epic Warriors

BydoEmpire

Inspired by my favorite movie of all time, a heroic barbarian embarks upon a quest against great evil with nothing but an iron will and a steel axe. I give thee - Rastan!

Rastan_-_1988_-_Tonka.jpg&f=1&nofb=1&ipt

To help you get in the mood, here's the greatest sound track of all time:

Bonus Round is the later release side-scrolling adventure Lord of the Sword. It's one of those games I wish I put more time into, and I fully intend to over the next few weeks.

This round runs October 3rd - 16th.  Standard rules apply, NO CONTINUES.

Totals:

1. @Razzie.P 383,790 (+1)
  2. @pboland 129,500 (+1)
  3. @Dashopepper 122,700 (+1)
  4. @fakecortex 107,900 (+1)
  5. @Asaki 96,700(+1)
  6. @RuySan 93,600
  7. @BydoEmpire 55,100 (+1)
  8. @Frozone212 46,200
  9. @jeremiahjt 36,800 (+1)

Edited by BydoEmpire
  • Like 1

I've only played Lord of the Sword for a few minutes, so that's basically new to me.  But if I had to pick a favorite Master System game from my childhood, I'm sure Rastan was it.  Somehow... whether I heard it, dreamed it, or just made it up, I dunno... but somehow, I was convinced that it was officially tied to Conan in some way, which made it even more special to me back then.

• Like 2

I like Rastan. I'm not that good at. I remember playing more of the arcade than the Master System version. I didn't get the Master System version until I got into collecting back in the late 90's. I don't think I ever though Rastan was "officially tied to Conan, but I do think Taito wanted it to be Conan and just couldn't get the rights for it (just a guess).

• Haha 1

I'm terrible at Rastan, I don't know that I've ever made it past the second level (the castle with all the spear traps). Still an awesome game. It's not a game I own now, although I had it back in the day.  I also remember buying Rastan 2 for the Genesis - it was one of those games I was determined to like even if it wasn't very good, because is spent my money on it.  Didn't have much choice but to play it and find the fun.  I should give it a try again.

I did buy Lord of The Sword from a bargain bin back in 94/95 when my Amiga was on repairs. Never spent too much time on it. I went on a shopping spree because MS games were so cheap and I missed my Amiga, but Phantasy Star was the only one I spent significant time on it.

As for Rastan, loved it on the ZX Spectrum back in the day. I only got to play the MS version more recently and it's an amazing conversion indeed.

• Like 1

Got a game in of Lord of the Sword. I died and continued to get a screenshot, but since it's the bonus round it doesn't really matter. That said, I do really want to dig into this game. Maybe I should have done a "combined score" this round... although Lord of the Sword in particular benefits from - and really needs - continuing. It'd be brutal to start over each time.

image.thumb.jpeg.ffef9fc7245922c5bc3801632caa983c.jpeg

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Razzie.P said:

Yep, do it.  Sneak up there and tweak the rules a bit and I'll pretend it was like that all along 🙂

I wasn't sure about it because Lord of the Sword lets you enter and exit a screen over and over with respawning enemies. It's easy to roll up the points going into a level over and over, although nobody here would do that. Honor system and good faith...

Lord of the Sword -- 205,000

I had to take a break from Rastan and spent a few plays on Lord of the Sword.  I think I would have loved this one as a kid.  I like it quite a bit, but don't like the "I don't know where I'm supposed to go" vibe that  I have.

If nothing gets in the way of Sunday play time, I hope to finish Rastan tomorrow.  A couple of tricky jumps near the end ruined my last 3 runs.

LOTS_205000.jpg.7b3003ec0a9f6b47c8b66474d8f163d0.jpg

• Like 2

Rastan -- 383,790

Finished Rastan this weekend.  😀   I guess the score's ok, but if Twin Galaxies is to be believed, the #1 score is 31,139,300.  So either I'm missing a ton of strategies/secrets, or they're full of crap.

I may read up on it a bit to see if there's anything I missed and give it another couple runs.  If not, though, I think I'll spend the next few days seeing if Lord of the Sword ever clicks with me.

Rastan_383790.jpg.5e21287edbc14604ed2b4c3021693c4b.jpg

• Like 2