IGNORED

5200 OE HSC Challenge 10/2022 Super Breakout

zylon

In this 40th year of the 5200, we'll break out the original pack-in game, Super Breakout. We'll run the "Cavity" mode of the game. Play on original 5200 systems, using Atari Mfg controls. For this game, I'd suggest opening a controller and just using the L-R pot to turn like a paddle knob. If doing so, note the directions will be reversed. Switching the outer wire to the opposite side terminal, will fix that. Only modern exceptions are flashcarts/SD loaders running original Roms. Pics preferred, but not required, except for HSC wins and records.

Round ends when month does.

*for this round, anything made from actual 1980's Atari parts, in a cx52, can be used for control* -1 hsc pt handicap for doing so, as just opening controller as I mentioned, will yield same results. For those using the stick, I recommend using a thumb on top of stick, hold.

Current HSC record, bust it for a bonus point!

Super Breakout -

(Cavity Mode)
jnice 2,499

Final scores-

2,063  phuzaxeman +11

603  rubeon +10

466  Crazy Climber +9

430  DamonicFury +8

430  zylon +8

386  RangerG +7

Current standings- 

DamonicFury - 98

rubeon - 90

RangerG - 59

zylon - 59

jeremiahjt - 50

jetset - 40

mark griff - 35

IICCEEMMAANN - 15

Cafeman - 9

SINGLE TOOTH - 8

jerry32 - 6

Super Breakout.BIN

Edited by zylon
  • Like 1

9 hours ago, zylon said:

For this game, I'd suggest opening a controller and just using the L-R pot to turn like a paddle knob. If doing so, note the directions will be reversed. Switching the outer wire to the opposite side terminal, will fix that.

I don’t suppose replacing the 5200 pot with a 2600 paddle pot and attaching its knob would be considered legitimate?   Still all OE Atari equipment, just with some of it originally meant for another console.

5A42B5FF-941F-4345-B2D0-921522918316.jpeg

• Haha 1

13 hours ago, DamonicFury said:

I don’t suppose replacing the 5200 pot with a 2600 paddle pot and attaching its knob would be considered legitimate?   Still all OE Atari equipment, just with some of it originally meant for another console.

Go for it. The 2600 was already out and preexisting. I'll have to work up a handicap on those perhaps. I made one ages ago, and just found it.

game repairs 093.jpg

game repairs 092.jpg

game repairs 091.jpg

Edited by zylon
  • Like 1

On 10/2/2022 at 3:22 AM, zylon said:

For this game, I'd suggest opening a controller and just using the L-R pot to turn like a paddle knob.

Super Breakout.BIN 32 kB · 1 download

Just wondering why you would make this suggestion.  The controls work amazing (when working) and really utilize the 5200 analog advantages. 

On 10/8/2022 at 5:41 PM, phuzaxeman said:

Just wondering why you would make this suggestion.  The controls work amazing (when working) and really utilize the 5200 analog advantages. 

I don’t know that the cx-52 stick is quite as good as a 2600 paddle with a 2600 Breakout game, but its certainly not bad.  My 2600/5200 hybrid paddle seems to have become rather prone to glitches, so I stuck with the stick.  

5C1B1F69-1398-42E8-976E-796791E205FF.jpeg

7 minutes ago, DamonicFury said:

I don’t know that the cx-52 stick is quite as good as a 2600 paddle with a 2600 Breakout game, but its certainly not bad.  My 2600/5200 hybrid paddle seems to have become rather prone to glitches, so I stuck with the stick.  

5C1B1F69-1398-42E8-976E-796791E205FF.jpeg

The mods look actually cool. I just grew up with 5200 sticks.

• Like 1

On 10/8/2022 at 5:41 PM, phuzaxeman said:

beats having to calibrate the system every time, and with the shorter throw, you can move further, faster. In my case, I can play Gyruss, or Super Breakout, but not both, without adjusting calibration. Once, I just tried tweaking the pot arm over a bit, then played a bit for testing. I found it quite good.

1 hour ago, phuzaxeman said:

Original controllers (updated), 5200, and that stock tube TV. 

I do hook up the 5200 occasionally to a screen monitor but the tube TV is fun. Memories. 

can't do it in the UK unfortunately, all the TV frequencies are different! no channel 3 at all.  I had to solder up an S-Video graphics circuit to get mine to work, but it's still hooked up to a tube so it looks like I remember it 🙂 

• Like 2

11 hours ago, rubeon said:

can't do it in the UK unfortunately, all the TV frequencies are different! no channel 3 at all.  I had to solder up an S-Video graphics circuit to get mine to work, but it's still hooked up to a tube so it looks like I remember it 🙂 

Major kudos on importing a 5200 and modding it to work with a TV over there. 👍

• Thanks 1

On 10/18/2022 at 12:38 PM, DamonicFury said:

Major kudos on importing a 5200 and modding it to work with a TV over there. 👍

interestingly, though the 5200 completely lacks the circuitry for it, the PAL Atari 800XL that I have just outputs s-video like it's no big thing. I was looking forward to modding it, but I've been using it for years now and have never even opened the case 🙂 

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 10/11/2022 at 11:13 PM, DamonicFury said:

Mine has a shot flexi. Even a screwdriver across fire button contacts won't release a ball. At last minute, hit same score as you. Was stuck on 429 forever...

output_image1667274806541.jpg

Edited by zylon

Da phuz takes Halloween with a score nearly beating the HSC combined effort, using stock controller. 👍 Thanks to all who played and continue to celebrate the 5200 as it was intended. I'll get next round up tomorrow morning. :) Bit of headache from combined shooting black powder colt 1851 replica, and cleaning my Steyr 1888, while I had the stuff out.

Final scores-

2,063  phuzaxeman +11

603  rubeon +10

466  Crazy Climber +9

430  DamonicFury +8

430  zylon +8

386  RangerG +7

Edited by zylon