IGNORED

Santa Claus Conquers the Martians - Design and Development Log

Ryan Witmer

On 10/20/2022 at 9:12 AM, atari2600land said:

Question: Can a 512KB cartridge be playable on a regular 5200 or do you need something?

Yes, it's just bankswitched cart.

Here's a very early screenshot of the stage 1 screen at the north pole.

image.thumb.png.2d84491a73e3fa31aae72c008b49db69.png

I have this cool moon and a sample cloud that will drift across.  I'm still putting together the actual play area at the bottom, and once it comes together I can start explaining what I have in mind for this.

• Like 2

• 1 month later...
  • 5 months later...

After watching that video it makes me think that one of these days if and when (more likely when at this point though that may change) I ever bring back The Atari Report I should pull a page out of progressive political commentator Brian Tyler Cohen's playbook like he has on HIS YouTube channel and include an interview segment on that channel. I believe that will both, a) help the channel pick up speed and get going in the YouTube algorithms so I can get more hits/subscribers, and b) allow me to brush up my interviewing skills and meet and greet some Atari legends and the budding programming stars of today who make our Atari community great, perhaps a segment, named (to throw one out there) "Atari Today".

I would love to have Ryan Witmer as one of my first guests on my show.

At first, it'll be held right here at BIGHMW.com World Headquarters with myself as your host/presenter doing interviews through my home camera (perhaps my Sony HDR-CX12 camcorder with its HDMI or composite video output hooked up to a video-capture card to use in place of a webcam for better quality video as most webcams like on my laptop only do 30 fps and I need 45-60 fps at least for better quality). And also a Shure pro podcast mic with a Frameworks stand will do me good too, Brian Tyler Cohen has this very same tech setup on his "No Lie With Brian Tyler Cohen" podcast and also his two YouTube-only series "Democracy Watch" with co-host Marc Elias, and "The Legal Breakdown" with co-host Glenn Kirschner.

WHO KNOWS where this will lead me but in all seriousness the game looks promising, I do like the idea of crossing over elements of Dig Dug and also Night Stalker into this mix, knowing everything that @Ryan Witmer does ends up golden through the games I have played of his, like Intellidiscs and Rob 'n' Banks this one will be a good one too!!!

Edited by BIGHMW

• 5 months later...

I hate to dig up a long forgotten thread but it IS the holiday season and I wonder what our very own @Ryan Witmer is doing with this project he wanted to do, it seems like he’s disappeared from the face of the planet, I wonder what’s up and if he’s OK, cause he used to be one of the hardest working guys here on the 5200 forums but for the past several months he’s been MIA

• 1 month later...
On 12/3/2023 at 7:38 PM, BIGHMW said:

I hate to dig up a long forgotten thread but it IS the holiday season and I wonder what our very own @Ryan Witmer is doing with this project he wanted to do, it seems like he’s disappeared from the face of the planet, I wonder what’s up and if he’s OK, cause he used to be one of the hardest working guys here on the 5200 forums but for the past several months he’s been MIA

I'm sure @Ryan Witmer will get 'round to speaking for himself but he's been rather present on the Discord, and I don't think I'm talking out of school to say that he's had a few projects in the air and a new day job started recently, but he's doing OK I think.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Bruce-Robert Pocock said:

I'm sure @Ryan Witmer will get 'round to speaking for himself but he's been rather present on the Discord, and I don't think I'm talking out of school to say that he's had a few projects in the air and a new day job started recently, but he's doing OK I think.

Good news indeed thanks for the update.

Yep, still around.  Just terribly busy with life stuff.

This project, however, might be dead for now.  It was poorly planned and probably announced way too soon.  I may come back to it in the future, but for now I've started a new 5200 project.  I'm not going to give any details on it yet, not until I'm sure I can do what I'm trying to do, but I do occasionally post some stuff on Discord about it.

• Like 7

On 1/11/2024 at 1:58 PM, Ryan Witmer said:

Yep, still around.  Just terribly busy with life stuff.

This project, however, might be dead for now.  It was poorly planned and probably announced way too soon.  I may come back to it in the future, but for now I've started a new 5200 project.  I'm not going to give any details on it yet, not until I'm sure I can do what I'm trying to do, but I do occasionally post some stuff on Discord about it.

Definitely good to hear from you, we all know that this hobby is a side project for most of us and life keeps us busy most of the time. Love your games and always look forward to your new ones, you can tell how much work goes into each game. Hopefully one day you can revisit the Santa themed game, it sounded really cool and the 5200 could use an awesome Christmas themed game, your game would fit the bill.

• Like 1