IGNORED

Do you think that I can use Ubuntu on external disk to steam?

portaro

Imagine I like the game Project Zomboid, but I never use Steam.

I have a question do you think that I can put a external disk with Ubuntu installed on It and install steam on Ubuntu and then buy and install the Project Zomboid ?

Other game that  desires play if possible is Doom 3 .

My problem I dont have any idea of Steam and if It installs and run well on a Ubuntu partition on a disk on Atari VCS.

At this momment I have 16 GB Ram installed on my Atari VCS and I also have second M2 SSD disk on the console (I dont have anything in the disk I buy It for future games that coming to the Store of VCS and when I need space to install the games, but I cant use the disk to install Ubuntu if is needed now, for better gamplay on the console on steam if necessary).

If is necessary to use the internal seond M2 SSD when in boot I need to change anything to run Ubuntu and launch Steam ?

Thanks.

Yes, you can install Ubuntu on an external USB drive and then boot to it using PC Mode on the VCS. I bought a cheap external Pioneer SSD and use it to run Windows. When the drive is plugged in at bootup the VCS detects it and automatically boots into Windows. The same would be true of a bootable drive with Ubuntu installed. You can find video tutorials on YouTube of people installing Linux on their VCS. I also tested booting with a thumbdrive and it works but it was painfully slow. So I would recommend trying to get a faster external drive.

13 hours ago, portaro said:

If is necessary to use the internal seond M2 SSD when in boot I need to change anything to run Ubuntu and launch Steam ?

If you use the m.2 SSD, then you will need to deal with boot management,  either install a boot manager or go into BIOS each time to select.

If you use a external, it will boot by default when plugged in.    So it may be easier to use external depending on your preferences.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, zzip said:

If you use the m.2 SSD, then you will need to deal with boot management,  either install a boot manager or go into BIOS each time to select.

If you use a external, it will boot by default when plugged in.    So it may be easier to use external depending on your preferences.

In my case I use the console for the games of Atari Store, but there aren't much offer until now, so I think in use for example a external disk with Ubuntu and install Steam in the Ubuntu and then play some game that I like, in case I only wish to play something like DOOM 3 or project zomboid.

Thanks for your support and info.