IGNORED

PowKiddy A12

akator

The PowKiddy A12 was released about 3 years ago.  I was looking at this for a few years but couldn't find a reason to buy one as I already have several original systems and a nice emulation setup with arcade controls.  Over the last month I decided it would be nice to have a simple tabletop arcade station that I can leave on without inflating my electric bill and play in passing whenever I feel like it.

I've got Batocera running on the A12 and I'm pleasantly surprised by how well it works.  I watched YouTube videos and read reviews about it before purchasing and expected the controls and screen to be lacking, but it's far better than I expected.  It suits my needs as a low-powered tabletop solution.  There are several videos about modding these to improve them but at this point I don't see the need since I can fire up the full-powered emulation rig if I need higher quality.

Anyone else have one of these?

Never heard of that, had to Google it.  Assuming the joystick and buttons aren't total ass like they often are on low-priced stuff, that looks like a pretty sweet little gadget that would make for a great solution for those who want something like this but don't have the time, skill, or inclination to build a bartop mame cabinet.  

I have zero need for something like that because I have home-built stuff but as far as retro portables go, I do have an Anbernic RG351MP and love it.  

It's definitely not a top-end device, even for 2019 when it was released — the screen is TFT and the buttons feel cheap compared to real arcade controls.

Even so, it's totally playable.  It can't handle N64 and above, but I didn't expect that on something in this price range.  The joystick has microswitches and works well.  The buttons may feel cheap but they work fine and I haven't had any issues with response even in fighters and shooters.

If I'm still playing it after a few months I will consider upgrading the display to IPS and install real arcade buttons.

• Like 1