IGNORED

Just bought a 5200.

atari2600land

So I found it funny that I had 5200 games but no 5200 to play them on. I already have an Atari 800, but I took the plunge anyway and bought a 5200 on eBay. It didn't come with a power cord. So I bought one of those as well separately. I think I spent all in all about $100. Now I'll be awaiting for the mail to come in a few days. Everything said it was working, so I don't know why it was so cheap. The console is missing its back lid (whatever that means), but seller said it works, so...

I went to the garage and found a couple games for it: Galaxian, Pac-Man and Super Breakout that I had from that brief time I had an almost broken 5200 that died on me.

• Like 3

17 hours ago, atari2600land said:

So I found it funny that I had 5200 games but no 5200 to play them on. I already have an Atari 800, but I took the plunge anyway and bought a 5200 on eBay. It didn't come with a power cord. So I bought one of those as well separately. I think I spent all in all about $100. Now I'll be awaiting for the mail to come in a few days. Everything said it was working, so I don't know why it was so cheap. The console is missing its back lid (whatever that means), but seller said it works, so...

I went to the garage and found a couple games for it: Galaxian, Pac-Man and Super Breakout that I had from that brief time I had an almost broken 5200 that died on me.

Missing the back lid... likely means that the controller storage cover is broken off. Very common on 5200s as that part of the plastic is quite brittle and just pushing the storage lid too far back is enough to crack the pegs that hinge that into the cover.

Additionally, it will be interesting to see if the controllers actually work 100% as well since those usually require maintenance as well.

That said, Congrats on the purchase! 

• Like 1

There is a fairly cheap and easy mod (if you can do some basic soldering) that negates the need for the switchbox. I was in the same boat. Got an Atari 5200 game included in some other stuff on ebay, so of course, I could sell it on or I could buy a 5200 to go with it. Got one of those on ebay but it was just the console and the 4 port one at that. 

Did the mod (its basically removing two components, making a power 'lead' with a capacitor, diode, some wire and a DC jack), soldering that lead to the board and voila) and it worked. I also had to replace the 4013 chip ( a whopping $1 at the local electronics store), but that's independent of the mod. 

As for controllers, I bought another 'Atari Lot' on eBay of several 2600's and a whole bunch of controllers. 4 of them were 5200's. Tried a couple, of course they did not work. Took the first one apart and cleaned it up, now it seems to work OK. So have a working 5200 now. 

2 hours ago, atari2600land said:

I spent the extra money and bought a refurbished 5200 controller.

Hey man,  I did not own a 5200 back in the day nor did I know anyone that owned one, ok well there was one kid who's step dad owned one but we were not allowed to touch it let alone hook it up and play. I bought a 4 port years ago when I was in my collecting phase, it had everything I needed EXCEPT a controllers so I bought one of those gold contact ones from good old  BEST ELECTRONICS. No regrets. 

• Like 1

9 hours ago, atari2600land said:

That works too! Especially if you don't have any already. I happened to have 4 in a box, so thought why not try to fix one up?

Based on initial results, I will probably fix up the best functioning two controllers and sell them on. Opened up another one last might and the traces seem to be in good condition, just a little dulled. So looks like there will be two good controllers at least with existing parts. 

The two I have left over, I was going to give the Best (with a capital B) upgrades. Guessing that's new flex circuits, fire buttons, keypads and whatever they call the 'Start/Pause/Reset' button strip. 

On 10/11/2022 at 12:45 AM, atari2600land said:

Last new year I bought a 5200 and refurbished it head to toe. I had also done the ebay route with regard to refurbished controllers. Last week I started having typical 5200 issues with the controller (wasnt moving left). I stuck my fingers by the stick in the controller, gave it a great pinch, and its been working perfectly ever since lol.

In my 43 years of collecting, the 5200 has been my favorite system to collect for. The arcade ports on this system are almost spot on and the games released on it are so much fun to play.

Well, the switchbox finally came. I hooked it up to my TV and hooked the AC adapter. Nothing. I tried to make sure everything was plugged in all the way. A little fire came out. So that meant that everything was getting electricity. So I turned it on again. Galaxian came up. It works! My "refurbished" controller has a slight problem of wanting to go left sometimes when I don't press left. I guess I need another controller? Pac-Man looks exactly like the 8-bit version, and Super Breakout on the 5200 was rendered unplayable.

So it works. Now I need to leave eBay feedback on all the stuff I bought.

the problem is most likely not the controller at all, but rather the 5200 unit its self. the machines have drift and is adjustable by a pot. inside the machine. look up the many video's on how to clean and adjust the pot so the machine is back to center.

On 10/17/2022 at 1:53 PM, atari2600land said:

I know the Jaguar had a 12-key pad because they were planning to include modem support but dropped it. But why does the 5200 have one?

On some games the keypad supports extra functions. Although many games not much of the keypad gets used on games that use it,  it adds a lot of functions like on Star Raiders, Baseball, also some on Rescue on Fractalus etc.,

post-9874-0-27592700-1508790603.jpg

Edited by David Alexander
  • Like 3