IGNORED

Intellivision HSC Season 17 - Game 12 - Donkey Kong

[ Intellivision HSC Season 17 ]

[ Game 12 ]

Donkey Kong

Donkey_Kong.jpg.5161d5957714e419b92b8d4f7d88f7aa.jpg

Donkey Kong by Coleco 1982

Donkey Kong has stolen Mario's girlfriend and taken her to the top of a steel fortress. Mario must climb to the top of the ramps to save her while jumping over or avoiding the barrels Donkey Kong hurls down at him. When you get Mario to the top, Donkey Kong takes Mario's girlfriend still higher --- to the top of the rivet structure. Mario must knock out all the rivets to save her. Your skill and speed determine your point total. How high can YOU score trying to rescue Mario's girlfriend? 

donkey_kong.gif.ae16bb620efe4c634a9b94b8ab476f46.gif

ROM Download Link

http://www.romnation.net/srv/roms/46463/intellivision/Donkey-Kong-1982-Coleco.html

Game Manual Link - Click link below then go to 'Games' then 'Manuals' and scroll down for Donkey Kong

http://www.intellivision.us/intvlibrary/index.htm

High Score Club Record

582,000 (Level 1) IntellivisionMaster - SET NEW RECORD +3

Game Setting

PLAYERS CHOICE - PRESS BUTTON 1 FOR LEVEL 1 (SCORE AT FACE VALUE); PRESS BUTTON 2 FOR LEVEL 2 (MULTIPLY YOUR FINAL SCORE X2); PRESS BUTTON 3 FOR LEVEL 3 (MULTIPLY YOUR FINAL SCORE X3); PRESS BUTTON 4 FOR LEVEL 4 (MULTIPLY YOUR FINAL SCORE X4). THE HIGHEST SCORE OVERALL WINS THE CONTEST. CHOOSE WHICH SCORING COMBINATION WORKS BEST FOR YOU. 

Game Objective

There are two screens to beat in Donkey Kong. The first screen is a steel fortress that Mario must climb up in order to reach the top. You must jump over the barrels that the Evil Kong throws / rolls down at you. You can also jump up and grab ahold of the Hammer and smash the barrels if you time it right. If you can get to the top then a second level awaits, the rivet structure. On this level you have to knock out the 6 rivets and try to avoid the treacherous walking fireballs that are possessed by the Evil Kong. If you get past the 1st two levels then you advance to another steel fortress which is harder than the first one. Mario wants to reach his girlfriend, but the Evil Kong does not want Mario to succeed. It's a battle of Man vs Ape. Who will win? 

Game Scoring

+13 [1st place], +12 [2nd place], +11 [3rd place], +9 [4th place] down to +1 pt for participation. +2 Game Winner Incentive. 

Extra Score Bonus: Get a score of 50,000 pts or more and earn +1 bonus point; Get a score of 100,000 pts or more and earn +2 bonus points; Get a score of 150,000 pts or more and earn +3 bonus points; Get a score of 200,000 pts or more and earn +4 bonus points; Get a score of 250,000 pts or more and earn +5 bonus points. Max-out Extra Score Bonus points earned is +5. (FACE VALUE SCORES AND MULTIPLIED SCORES APPLY).

Season Theme: Fan Favorites. Game chosen by AL (IntellivisionMaster).

Contest Ends
SUNDAY OCTOBER 23RD 11:59:59 PM EASTERN TIME

(FINAL SCORES)

1,051,200 (L2) - IntellivisionMaster [+13](+5 BONUS POINTS)(+2 GAME WINNER INCENTIVE)(+3 SET NEW RECORD)

464,400 (L4) - wongojack [+12](+5 BONUS POINTS)

289,200 (L4) - wolfy62 [+11](+5 BONUS POINTS)

-----------------------------------------------------------------

181,200 (L4) lupovax [+9](+3 BONUS POINTS)

147,600 (L2) - Rickster8 [+8](+2 BONUS POINTS)

130,400 (L4) - crade [+7](+2 BONUS POINTS)

102,000 (L4) - fakecortex [+6](+2 BONUS POINTS)

34,800 (L4) cmadruga [+5]

Overall Rankings (POINTS)

After PGA Golf

207 - IntellivisionMaster

172 - Rickster8

98 - cmadruga

96 - wolfy62

94 - wongojack

83 - lupovax

82 - Northcoastgamer

78 - crade

68 - Player One

61 - IntyFanMatt 

55 - gavvv

51 - fakecortex

35 - JacobZu7zu7

32 - jimblargh

19 - gar0u

13 - ed1475

3 - jblenkle

Games Won

6 - IntellivisionMaster - Stampede / SNAFU / The Power of He-Man / Thin Ice / Beauty and the Beast / PGA Golf

3 - Rickster8 - Pinball / SNAFU / Space Armada UNLEASHED

1 - Northcoastgamer - Q*bert

1 - Gavvv - BurgerTime

1 - IntyFanMatt - Dreadnaught Factor

Sneak Preview:

Space Spartans - Chosen by Crade (The PROUD Enemy of the Inty Brotherhood). 😜

Edited by Rickster8
Added in scores

I realized I have played very little of the Intellivision version of this game,though I have heard mostly terrible things.

I don't hate it yet,but I already don't like how difficult it is to jump and grab at least the lower if not upper hammer when jumping for it.

Why is it so hard to grab?

I better post this score for skill level 1: 38,100

Take that,Rickster and Intellivision Master!!!😉

Oops,I probably just cursed 🤬 my score by at least 10x by challenging my competition. 

20221008_162736.jpg

Edited by wolfy62
Added content
  • Like 2
  • Haha 3

When I got this game I thought Holy Cow… this is awful! But it was the only Donkey Kong we had! So I made the best of it! 

I wouldn’t mind the graphics if the jumping was good. The jumping is awful LOL 😂. He makes such an un-inspired slow-motion hop…. But I think they were trying to copy the difficulty of the arcade version! 

Either way it’s all we had! 

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, wongojack said:

I just played a bit on game 4, so do I have this right?  35,900 x4 = 143,600.  I didn't think this score was all that hard to get, so it can't be that I set a new HSC record on my first try.  I must be missing something.

image.thumb.jpeg.d2cb0937cf38e1e2cce200f460d9abe2.jpeg

That record is for Level 1. Al will score like a million on level 1 lol...... 🤣

Meaning that was a Level 1 record, but for this contest there will be a new record. I really just listed it for posterity but it will get annihilated by Al HAHAAHAHHAHA, not by me. This is another game I hate. Still debating if I will even bother to play it. I am terrible at the next game too (Space Spartans). I may just wait until Game 14 to play again, LOLOLOLOL 

Edited by Rickster8
Wording
  • Like 2

I just played the exact same rom as last night in JZ INTV, and it controlled completely differently.  From the LTO Flash on an INTV II, I had trouble controlling Jump Man and could never grab the hammer when I wanted.  Same rom in JZ and I can grab the hammer any time I want to and he controls much more precisely.  I don't know why there is such a difference, but it is huge.

Game 4:  83,500 x 4 = 334,000

image.thumb.jpeg.eb8d2859b829fb19af2c016e949dbefd.jpeg

• Like 4

Probably my only Donkey Kong score. I'm dreadfully BAD at this game on every platform there is... Some things just weren't made for each other in life. Me and Donkey Kong are DEFINITELY two of those things.... 🤮

NO PERSONAL GOAL ON THIS ONE FOR ME. THE FACT THAT I ACTUALLY PLAYED IT LONG ENOUGH TO GENERATE A SCORE IS AMAZING ENOUGH!!! 😏

DONKEY KONG - SKILL LEVEL 2 - 73,800 POINTS X 2 = 147,600 POINTS!!!

DONKEYKONG(73800)X2IS147600HSC17.jpg.af8cbdd029f8b537980860426a067c2d.jpg

• Like 3

7 hours ago, IntyFanMatt said:

I actually don’t own this cart for some reason. Why? No idea. Maybe my parents were smart enough not to buy it for me when I was a kid, lol. But I do own the homebrew DK Arcade, and that is fantastic. Wish we were playing that one!

We can play it as a BONUS game if y'all want??? This is FAN FAVORITES!!! :P 

Edited by Rickster8
Formatting
  • Like 5

I don’t know if I’ll have time to play 2 carts this week. I just finished golfing an hour ago!  Haven’t even gotten the DK cart out yet! If one or two more contestants agree to add it then I’m game! (Apologies, but I’m old, I have pains all over my body and I can only play one game at a time !!) I would vote no… but definitely do not want to spoil any one’s else’s fun! I suppose I can whip-up a decent score next Sunday with the pressure-on! 

Agree fully with Matt that DK arcade is a masterpiece! 

1 hour ago, IntellivisionMaster said:

I don’t know if I’ll have time to play 2 carts this week. I just finished golfing an hour ago!  Haven’t even gotten the DK cart out yet! If one or two more contestants agree to add it then I’m game! (Apologies, but I’m old, I have pains all over my body and I can only play one game at a time !!) I would vote no… but definitely do not want to spoil any one’s else’s fun! I suppose I can whip-up a decent score next Sunday with the pressure-on! 

Agree fully with Matt that DK arcade is a masterpiece! 

No worries. I will find a way to work it in next Season.... 👍

Less work for me.... :P 

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, wolfy62 said:

I even quadrupled my score!😄

I find level 4 about as easy as the slower levels,is that just me???

You’re right… basically for the girder stage if you’re “good” on the girders it’s not much harder. But don’t forget on the Fireball Duck 🔥 🏀 🦆 stage there’s 5 Ducks on Level 4 compared to only 2 Ducks on Level 1. That’s what makes it tougher. Go for 100K! You can do it! 

Edited by IntellivisionMaster
  • Like 1