IGNORED

Use more data, bankswitching?

More or less I'm walking against the boundaries of loading data to my 64kb 800XL (with bitmap data, level data, programdata) - especially with my VBXE project.

Right now I'm compiling with MADS a .xex, this is working nice and quickly in combination with Altirra and the Atasm MS-code plugin. Probably lot's of data can be loaded to the vbxe from a disk image (dir to .atr - which is great tool!) but that's not the quickest way to test and debug a lot(loading times)- So I am reading and thinking about some bankswitching, that way I can copy data from cartridge banks to the VBXE... But I really don't have any exprerience with making a bankswitching cartridge image - with Mads.

What is a good way to go? What kind of cartridge or format is good to use (hopefully a bit easy ;-) ) And, how to do that? 🙂

Thanks again!

Edited by Thelen
typo

I can't help a bit with MADS, as I don't use it.  But the XEGS cart format is dead easy!!.  You have (always) a bank from $A000-$BFFF and can then (for a 128K cart) have 16 banks (# $00-$0F) from $8000-$9FFF and select them by writing the bank # to $D500.  They switch instantly.

https://atariwiki.org/wiki/Wiki.jsp?page=Cartridges#section-Cartridges-XEGSCarts

I'm pretty certain that they are the easiest / simplest bankswitchers to use.  I made a utility for myself using this, and it worked straight away, it was very easy.

Thanks both for your replies 🙂 Will need some time to sort it out - how the compile and get everything in/from a cart. Or support a memory upgrade and load everything from disk is also a interesting idea - but then the people who can use it will be more limited (what is the percentage of users who have a VBXE in their 8 bit?)