IGNORED

Season 13 ~ Week 9 ~ Challenge Week!

Vocelli

Big improvement for me, but although it's early in the week, I think that's my lot on this one. It's nowhere near as bad a game as it's reputation suggests, and it's nearly a very good one. I agree with @Rickster8 that the thing that really causes the frustration is not so much the pits (there is a logic to those once the game mechanics are understood), but the "needle in a haystack" challenge of trying to find the call point. Unless you're lucky enough to stumble on it naturally (which I did for my high score) , it's very easy to lose thousands of points just looking for that. And with seemingly no rhyme or reason to where it is, finding it feels more like luck than judgement. I think I have something half respectable so will probably stop here.

Anyway, that's enough of me moaning, here's a (improved) score.

E.T. - The Extra-Terrestrial (1982) (Atari)_5.png

• Like 6

2 hours ago, Keir said:

For some reason I seem to always get 15 pieces of candy, never more. Is there something I need to do to make more pieces appear?

I think I read somewhere that there was a limit on the number of pieces per level. Don’t see it in the instructions, may have been in an faq. 

So last night I finally sat down, read the manual, and played the game, but I was still having trouble. The only power zone that appeared was the call Elliot one. I didn’t see anywhere that game 3 had any differences besides all those “rude people” being gone 😉 I just watched a playthrough on game 3, and as expected, all the zones were popping up. Is anyone else having this issue? I have an original cart, but will have to try out a rom on Harmony if it doesn’t fix itself. You can imagine how I was just dropping into wells blindly for phone pieces 🙄 

I like how Elliot will help you tho and the flower trick was also neat (but ideally unnecessary with a working game). 

This game is definetly irritating.

In my games the symbols were all there. Sometimes hidden in the landing or city area.

I thought I found a good strategy yesterday. But today it doesn't work out. Sometimes there's just 15 or 17 candy...and i can't figure out, why . Strange!

3 minutes ago, Absalon said:

This game is definetly irritating.

In my games the symbols were all there. Sometimes hidden in the landing or city area.

I thought I found a good strategy yesterday. But today it doesn't work out. Sometimes there's just 15 or 17 candy...and i can't figure out, why . Strange!

Yeah it's odd, a few times I have seen 16 candy pieces, sometimes more, sometimes less..... Also odd I have seen on more than one occasion, the loading zone has disappeared. Meaning when I was all ready to go, the loading zone WAS GONE!!!! I could NOT find it.... 😵😱

2 hours ago, Rickster8 said:

Also odd I have seen on more than one occasion, the loading zone has disappeared. Meaning when I was all ready to go, the loading zone WAS GONE!!!! I could NOT find it.... 😵😱

If you found the loading zone before leaving the forest at the start then that could be why. It seems that the placement of zones in the forest changes as soon as you leave the first time.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Jason_Atari said:

Probably my best ever score on Game 3. Lucked in on the call ship zone straight away.

IMG_0535.jpg

How!? The maximum number of candy pieces the game will give you is in one run is 20, which is 15,400 points if you give them all to Elliot, and since you start with 9,999 points worth of energy you would have to expend... negative 2,424 points worth of energy to achieve that score in one run. The maximum possible score for one run with absolute perfect efficiency and the luckiest placement of jump zones should be just shy of 24,000 😮

Any thoughts on this E.T. expert @Random Terrain?

Edited by Skippy B. Coyote
  • Like 2

22 minutes ago, Skippy B. Coyote said:

How!? The maximum number of candy pieces the game will give you is in one run is 20, which is 15,400 points if you give them all to Elliot, and since you start with 9,999 points worth of energy you would have to expend... negative 2,424 points worth of energy to achieve that score in one run. The maximum possible score for one run with absolute perfect efficiency and the luckiest placement of jump zones should be just shy of 24,000 😮

Any thoughts on this E.T. expert @Random Terrain?

To be honest i don't know, i found everything relatively quickly including the phone pieces, the call ship zone and the landing zone. I don't even think i gave Elliott 20 reese's pieces, maybe 15? I've always found the way this game scored odd, even way back in the day.

1 minute ago, Jason_Atari said:

To be honest i don't know, i found everything relatively quickly including the phone pieces, the call ship zone and the landing zone. I don't even think i gave Elliott 20 reese's pieces, maybe 15? I've always found the way this game scored odd, even way back in the day.

Is it possible that you won the game twice, no offense, but this seems like two runs... I actually did the same thing. I won the game once and I pressed the joystick button thinking it would restart the game over. Instead it started a 2nd run... When my points showed I had 33k!!! I was shocked and then I realized it was a 2nd run.... Initially when I saw the 27k score I immediately thought you must have done the same thing. 

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, Rickster8 said:

Is it possible that you won the game twice, no offense, but this seems like two runs... I actually did the same thing. I won the game once and I pressed the joystick button thinking it would restart the game over. Instead it started a 2nd run... When my points showed I had 33k!!! I was shocked and then I realized it was a 2nd run.... Initially when I saw the 27k score I immediately thought you must have done the same thing. 

Definitely only once.

15 minutes ago, Jason_Atari said:

If it’s impossible to get that high a score then I could have pressed the fire button instead of the reset button, I really don’t remember.

I'm guessing that's probably what happened, since I'm pretty sure a score of 27K is impossible on a single run on account of the only way to score points being collecting candy and leftover energy, but I tagged @Random Terrain to get his thoughts on the matter since he's the most knowledgeable person there is outside of the original programmer when it comes to E.T.. If there's anyone who would know whether or not 27K in one run is possible it would be him.

• Like 2

27 minutes ago, Jason_Atari said:

If it’s impossible to get that high a score then I could have pressed the fire button instead of the reset button, I really don’t remember.

Let me ask this. When your score tabulated at the end of the game do you remember if the score started with an unusually higher score than usual? When I got the 33k, the initial score started with 14k.... That was a great indicator to me that something was amiss...... 

• Like 1