IGNORED

End of cooperation with Lotharek

candle

3 hours ago, flashjazzcat said:

Meanwhile, I'll just go order myself one of those open-source UNO or Ultimate carts. Oops... no can do. They're sold out, and haven't seen an iota of continued development since they were released to the public. :D

Wow, I didn't know those were out of stock (I bought a Ultimate cart a few years ago that I use).  Is this due to chip shortages??  

20 hours ago, flashjazzcat said:

I cited the number of lines of code written not as a means of 'bidding', but to illustrate the enormous amount of 'continued development' already (and continually) undertaken

OK, unrelated to this thread, but that reminded me of one of my favorite (hopefully true, but probably not) dev stories...
As I was told, when IBM was having Microsoft write OS2 (yeah, that was weird, but..) IBM paid by lines of code (or K of code, so by thousands of lines)...

One day, some of the Microsoft devs were excited because they came up with a much more efficient way of doing something, saving LOTS of code.

When they presented their findings, IBM said "Great!  Less code, so we will pay you less.."  
And I'm sure that was the end of the efficient coding...  ;-)

TBH, that story sounds a bit fishy to me.  But knowing IBM back then, I can see part of it being based on truth...  ;-) 

• Haha 4

I used to write programs that could "write programs" (well about 90% of a working program)

reduced development of coding a new transaction from 2 weeks to a day with a reduced chance

to introduce bugs.

Edited by TGB1718

15 minutes ago, E474 said:

Am not clear on why @candleand/or @flashjazzcat aren't building boards themselves (or should I say, assembling boards shipped from China)?

Most likely because they don't want to bother with end user transactions, stock and supply, manufacturing issues, warranty, shipping etc...

Sorta like when an artist writes a song, he doesn't want to stand in walmart stocking shelves with his music.

• Like 5
  • Haha 1

15 minutes ago, E474 said:

Am not clear on why @candleand/or @flashjazzcat aren't building boards themselves (or should I say, assembling boards shipped from China)?

It's not easy to mass produce components that are all SMD based.  My guess regarding why not sourcing from China, is the quality is normally shit, and they steal / clone everything.

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, Stephen said:

It's not easy to mass produce components that are all SMD based.  My guess regarding why not sourcing from China, is the quality is normally shit, and they steal / clone everything.

... and then let us not forget the whole "running a business out of your home" thing which some governments make more difficult than others.

• Like 4

I don't know if it is still applicable, but I am sure that there used to be an EU law that made building electronic devices unfeasibly difficult.

I remember that the Raspberry Pi people had to do something with the lawmakers to enable them to bring production to Wales. I don't know if that law got dropped or amended or they got around it by no longer being in the EU.

12 hours ago, tebe said:

when you share the source code, miracles happen :)

This.

A lot of stuff I open sourced has been picked up by others, too. And 50 forks, like someone said in this thread? Nah, never happens.

Edited by ivop
  • Like 1

32 minutes ago, ivop said:

And 50 forks, like someone said in this thread? Nah, never happens.

Even little old RespeQt has nearly a dozen. And no public release in 2-1/2 years.

image.png.8ae405b056d64483f8e2789b7e9a62a2.png

I absolutely do not doubt that bigger, more lucrative projects (*) exist that have many more forks that this.

(*) Contrary to common belief, "Open Source" can make a lot of people a lot of money: dedicated paid support, hardware sales and support running said open source code, etc. 

38 minutes ago, DrVenkman said:

(*) Contrary to common belief, "Open Source" can make a lot of people a lot of money: dedicated paid support, hardware sales and support running said open source code, etc. 

Very true... but how often is it the developer? :(

5 minutes ago, Tillek said:

Very true... but how often is it the developer? :(

Got no clue, and that's not really the point. The point is, Jon's right - small, niche software for stuff like our hobby gets open-sourced, anywhere from 0 - a few dozen people fork the repo, tinker with it for a day or a month and most lose interest. Meanwhile, the main codebase lies fallow unless that original dev is doing the work. So yeah ... all decisions about Jon's code are his to make. The rest of us are just wasting electrons arguing for the sake of arguing, and it's all a side-topic for this thread, at best.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, DrVenkman said:

Even little old RespeQt has nearly a dozen. And no public release in 2-1/2 years.

image.png.8ae405b056d64483f8e2789b7e9a62a2.png

I absolutely do not doubt that bigger, more lucrative projects (*) exist that have many more forks that this.

That number of forks says nothing. Just on github there are over 3600 forks of gcc. Still, there is just one true gcc project. Do you remember the egcs/gcc times? Even then there were just two main forks and eventually they merged again. Similar to ffmpeg and libav. And if they don't merge (AspeQt/RespeQt, or xfree86/Xorg, or OpenOffice/LibreOffice, and lots more) one of them will be dominant and the other will be obsolete. 50 relevant forks, sorry, there's no such thing.

• Like 1

44 minutes ago, DrVenkman said:

The rest of us are just wasting electrons arguing for the sake of arguing,

I have long given up on FJC to open up his source code. Maybe he might share his TUI code though :)

44 minutes ago, DrVenkman said:

and it's all a side-topic for this thread, at best.

Agreed.

Edited by ivop

30 minutes ago, ivop said:

50 relevant forks, sorry, there's no such thing.

That’s not what you said, and it’s what we call in America “moving the goal posts.” One never knows contemporaneously which fork(s) will be - in your words - “relevant” and which won’t. It’s only in hindsight that one can say if a particular fork matters or not.

But in any case it doesn’t matter whether it’s once or fifty times - once code is forked, it’s forked Then what? Someone has to pick up the tasks of actually doing something with it. And in the retro world, that doesn’t happen a lot if at all.

• Like 3

13 minutes ago, DrVenkman said:

That’s not what you said, and it’s what we call in America “moving the goal posts.”

I know that expression, but it was implied earlier that making your code open source would result in 50 forks that were incompatible and all in use. There's no such thing. Forking on github is done a lot of time just for convenience.

One never knows contemporaneously which fork(s) will be - in your words - “relevant” and which won’t. It’s only in hindsight that one can say if a particular fork matters or not.

True. But there will never be 11 relevant forks, let alone 50. See my previous real world examples. Either they merge again, or one fades away.

But in any case it doesn’t matter whether it’s once or fifty times - once code is forked, it’s forked Then what? Someone has to pick up the tasks of actually doing something with it. And in the retro world, that doesn’t happen a lot if at all.

That's what you say, and what FJC thinks. I can name at least four of my own hardware projects that got picked up by others and developed further. Software, several more. And that's just Atari/Retro stuff.

Edit: elaborated

Edited by ivop
  • Like 2

8 minutes ago, ivop said:

Forking on github is done a lot of time just for convenience.

Forking on Github is necessary for contributors in order to get their changes/fixes included in the main project:

You fork the project, apply changes, publish them in a branch on your fork and then create a pull request against the main repository.

The project maintainers then review the changes and either include (merge) them in the main project, request further changes or reject them.

That's just the normal process how most open source projects work.

The number of forks is more an indication of how popular a project is.

It doesn't mean all forks are actually real active contributors, some just fork so they have a copy in case the original project closes and removes the repository (think about what happened with AspeQt where the maintainer completely nuked it on Sourceforge), some apply some personal changes/fixes and keep a backup on github etc.

But I think we are completely off topic now...

so long,

Hias

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, ivop said:

That number of forks says nothing. Just on github there are over 3600 forks of gcc. Still, there is just one true gcc project. Do you remember the egcs/gcc times? Even then there were just two main forks and eventually they merged again. Similar to ffmpeg and libav. And if they don't merge (AspeQt/RespeQt, or xfree86/Xorg, or OpenOffice/LibreOffice, and lots more) one of them will be dominant and the other will be obsolete. 50 relevant forks, sorry, there's no such thing.

How much source code for commercial Atari Jaguar games has been released?  Dozen at most.  What has been done with it?  Absolutely nothing.  As a developer for my full time job, I get tired of hearing about open source all the time.  Even worse in the retro scene.  It's not some magical bullet that will suddenly makes 100s of projects appear.  It almost never leads to anything.  As this thread has many good examples of already.

• Like 2

The Ultimate series of cartridges for the C64 are open source and do very well, I'm sure Gideon is making 'enough' out of each unit sold as well as sales of the Ultimate 64 motherboards. Open source can work and does work in many, many instances - However for a community the size of the A8 community, I agree that closed source is probably better given the circumstances.

I love my FJC/Candle products, hang in there guys.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Stephen said:

As a developer for my full time job, I get tired of hearing about open source all the time.  Even worse in the retro scene.  It's not some magical bullet that will suddenly makes 100s of projects appear.  It almost never leads to anything.  As this thread has many good examples of already.

Same here. Couldn't agree more. Open source = open sores, most of the time. With few notable exceptions.

Edited by mikey
  • Like 2