IGNORED

Missile Command: Recharged: Recharged (all new version replacing the original November 1)

jgkspsx

I liked Missile Command Recharged, but it didn’t grab me nearly as much as more recent Recharged titles. Well, Atari took a mulligan on it, and here it comes again as an ALL NEW Recharged title:

Owners of the first game will get a discount of the cost of the original game on the new one.

• Like 2

Can't help but notice that those rotating turrets look suspiciously like another MC variant that was supposed to be released for a certain controversial vaporware console.  As that console's games are now apparently going to be licensed out for release on other systems, maybe this is an attempt to head them off at the pass by putting out their own multi-player version of it?

Not too impressed with this move, I must say.  We should be seeing Major Havoc: Recharged by now.   

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

10 hours ago, jgkspsx said:

I liked Missile Command Recharged, but it didn’t grab me nearly as much as more recent Recharged titles. Well, Atari took a mulligan on it, and here it comes again as an ALL NEW Recharged title:

Owners of the first game will get a discount of the cost of the original game on the new one.

It looks good.  However, are they going to include the original with this new version too?  I would hope so as it would be a shame if the original goes away completely.  Also, least we forget that the original is what kicked off the whole series to begin with.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, MrTrust said:

Can't help but notice that those rotating turrets look suspiciously like another MC variant that was supposed to be released for a certain controversial vaporware console.  As that console's games are now apparently going to be licensed out for release on other systems, maybe this is an attempt to head them off at the pass by putting out their own multi-player version of it?

Not too impressed with this move, I must say.  We should be seeing Major Havoc: Recharged by now.   

Hey, as the old saying goes, "A good artist copies, a great artist steals".

Also, yes, I would think that Atari should be doing a different game rather than Missile Command: Recharged^2 and something like Major Havoc or Red Baron.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, digdugnate said:

Personally, I think owners of Missile Command: Recharged should get Missile Command: Recharged: Recharged for free.

I agree, if this was any AAA game on Steam then those who already owned the original game would get the remaster version for free.

But...instead Atari will still charge for the new version.  At least there's a 30% discount for existing owners, so I wonder if we'll have both versions or they will just replace the old one completely?

• Like 1

On 10/11/2022 at 6:12 PM, jgkspsx said:

They are removing the old version completely. I won’t miss it.

Really?  That is a bit of a bummer imo.  I would think that it should stick around and have the new version be something like 'Missile Command: Recharged Deluxe' or something like that.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, DavidD said:

Is there ANY reason for me to buy it while I can on the Switch?  I mean, I'm trying to figure out if there's any "upside" to the current version.

I mean, if you buy the current version, the new version will be discounted by the same amount, so you get it for free…

On 10/11/2022 at 8:14 AM, MrTrust said:

The Recharged series has a nice clean style. The footbath vaporware version did not. Nobody asked for this: 

On 10/11/2022 at 10:17 AM, Hwlngmad said:

It looks good.  However, are they going to include the original with this new version too?  I would hope so as it would be a shame if the original goes away completely.  Also, least we forget that the original is what kicked off the whole series to begin with.

The original should remain in your redownload list, even if delisted from the store. I guess we’ll find out soon though. I’d want my money back if it became inaccessible, like a when mobile purchase is when removed. Switch games should be immune to that. 

The 1980 original is on the Atari Flashback collection and the upcoming 50th Anniversary pack. 

On 10/11/2022 at 5:17 PM, MrMaddog said:

I agree, if this was any AAA game on Steam then those who already owned the original game would get the remaster version for free.

But...instead Atari will still charge for the new version.  At least there's a 30% discount for existing owners, so I wonder if we'll have both versions or they will just replace the old one completely?

I think they’ll just delist the old one.  That’s my speculation, anyway.  

• Like 2

Useful site about delisted games:

https://delistedgames.com/get-your-games-back/

When most games are delisted they’re simply removed from the storefront where you bought them. Your previous purchases are stored in a download history which can be accessed on that platform or sometimes through a website. The steps differ by platform and can sadly change without notice. Use the menu below to pick your platform and find out how to get your delisted games back today!

8 hours ago, Flojomojo said:

The original should remain in your redownload list, even if delisted from the store. I guess we’ll find out soon though. I’d want my money back if it became inaccessible, like a when mobile purchase is when removed. Switch games should be immune to that. 

[...]

I think they’ll just delist the old one.  That’s my speculation, anyway.  

I know the old version was just a cheap mobile port but the idea of not being able to play the $3 game you've already bought and having to pay an additional $6 to play it again (in it's new form), well that's nuts.

I'll still buy it anyway since I'm glad Atari is moving away from bad mobile games, now if only they would redo Night Driver for the Recharged series...

• Like 1

7 hours ago, MrMaddog said:

I know the old version was just a cheap mobile port but the idea of not being able to play the $3 game you've already bought and having to pay an additional $6 to play it again (in it's new form), well that's nuts.

If you own the original version, you can keep playing it. They're just not going to sell it anymore.

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

Well it's out and even with the 2020 version in my Steam library the 2022 remake is still full price at $9.99

Since the only differences are newer graphics and now pausing between waves for the score count (like the original), I'll wait till it comes down in price...

• Sad 1