IGNORED

Best emulator for Alien Vs Predator (AvP)?

crash

I wonder if this is a game bug rather than an emulator bug. I wonder if it can be tested on hardware using the cheat codes rather than playing the whole Predator campaign up to the point of getting the plasma cannon. I have this vague memory of experiencing this problem when I played through the entire game many years ago. Are you able to share a save state from just before getting the Plasma cannon?

Cheers

On 1/14/2023 at 8:15 AM, sloth-machine said:

For AvP, the Predator keeps his HUD screen until you do a hard reset or close the emulator (again, the plasma cannon seems to trigger the bug). This is near the end of his campaign anyway, so you can just save state it. If you want to save and quit your game like an actual cartridge with the dangers/perks of enemy respawns; Save in-game, soft reset the game back to the opening main menu and save state then.

Have you attempted to increase HUD brightness after it disappears? Could be it just resets to brightness to point of invisibility rather than permanently disappearing.

19 hours ago, Editorb said:

Have you attempted to increase HUD brightness after it disappears? Could be it just resets to brightness to point of invisibility rather than permanently disappearing.

Yes, I thought that same thing actually. I found out it's not just the HUD that disappears. Also the Predators weapon graphic, pause menu, and the color change damage indication (the yellow flash you get when damaged).

On 1/16/2023 at 11:36 AM, crash said:

I wonder if this is a game bug rather than an emulator bug. I wonder if it can be tested on hardware using the cheat codes rather than playing the whole Predator campaign up to the point of getting the plasma cannon. I have this vague memory of experiencing this problem when I played through the entire game many years ago. Are you able to share a save state from just before getting the Plasma cannon?

Cheers

Here is the savestate of the issue after it happens.  A reminder, if you just savestate (soft reset included) through the whole campaign, the issue won't occur.  It's just when you hard reset or shut off and resume the game from 'cartridge memory'. I have not tested this with other characters.

I also don't have a savestate just before .

state000.bigpstate

Edited by sloth-machine

Those save games are definitely fried. I was thinking that just the HUD got turned off, but I don't know how the game could continue the way it is. I may see if I can reproduce it by adding the weapons with the test menu.

Thanks for sending the savestate. I assume that if you had to submit a bug report you also had to send that to Rich, so maybe he will have some insight.

Cheers

19 minutes ago, crash said:

Those save games are definitely fried. I was thinking that just the HUD got turned off, but I don't know how the game could continue the way it is. I may see if I can reproduce it by adding the weapons with the test menu.

Thanks for sending the savestate. I assume that if you had to submit a bug report you also had to send that to Rich, so maybe he will have some insight.

Cheers

Yeah, I sent the save state to Rich as well in a bug report.

• 1 month later...

Rich playtested the game on Jaguar hardware, and determined that this Predator HUD problem is a bug that occurs with an actual Jaguar and AvP cartridge. I don't know if it happens every time, but I seem to remember running into it when I played the game originally, and Rich experienced it when he tested just recently. Unfortunately this is not a bug in the emulator, so I'm not sure if Rich would try to fix it.

Cheers