IGNORED

Intellivision HSC Season 17 - Game 13 - Space Spartans

[ Intellivision HSC Season 17 ]

[ Game 13 ]

Space Spartans

Space_Spartans.jpg.f75f94378230a99d34454228d3ab6f3c.jpg

Space Spartans by Mattel 1981

In a heroic adventure that pits you against overwhelming alien odds. You are the elite force. Stop the first alien onslaught and a new alien force appears. Hold the aliens back as long as you can and give your home galaxy time to prepare for attack!

space_spartans.gif.762a19aa3e65dd013fe62753552fb288.gif

ROM Download Link

https://www.romnation.net/srv/roms/21612/intellivision/Space-Spartans-1981-Mattel.html

Game Manual Link - Click link below then go to 'Games' then 'Manuals' and scroll down for Space Spartans

http://www.intellivision.us/intvlibrary/index.htm

High Score Club Record

798,010 (Fastest Speed) mr_me; SET NEW RECORD (ON LEVEL 5) +3

Game Settings

PLAYER'S CHOICE, PLAY WHATEVER LEVEL YOU LIKE, BUT YOU CAN ONLY SET A NEW RECORD (GET THE +3 BONUS) IF YOU BEAT THE LEVEL 5 HIGH SCORE CLUB RECORD. PLEASE SAY WHAT LEVEL YOU PLAYED IN YOUR POSTINGS. 

Game Objective

Score as many points as possible by shooting down alien ships, before your ship is destroyed or you run out of energy. Repair damaged ship systems and re-energize at your 3 star-bases. Destroy all aliens on the Sector Grid and a new round starts with more aliens. YOU HAVE ONE SHIP AGAINST A CONTINUOUS ONSLAUGHT OF ALIEN ATTACKERS.

Game Scoring

+13 [1st place], +12 [2nd place], +11 [3rd place], +9 [4th place] down to +1 pt for participation. +2 Game Winner Incentive. 

Extra Score Bonus: Get a score of 40,000 pts or more and earn +1 bonus point; Get a score of 80,000 pts or more and earn +2 bonus points; Get a score of 120,000 pts or more and earn +3 bonus points. Max-out Extra Score Bonus points earned is +3.  

Season Theme: Fan Favorites. Chosen by Crade 

Contest Ends
SUNDAY OCTOBER 30TH 11:59:59 PM EASTERN TIME

(FINAL SCORES)

4,122,010 (L5) - IntellivisionMaster [+13](+3 BONUS POINTS)(+2 GAME WINNER INCENTIVE)(+3 SET NEW RECORD)

780,990 (L5) - mr_me [+12](+3 BONUS POINTS)

219,980 (L3) - wolfy62 [+11](+3 BONUS POINTS)

------------------------------------------------------------------------

169,420 (L3) - wongojack [+9](+3 BONUS POINTS)

75,410 (L5) - crade [+8](+1 BONUS POINT)

28,350 (L5) - lupovax [+7]

1,300 (L1) - fakecortex [+6]

Overall Rankings (POINTS)

After Donkey Kong

230 - IntellivisionMaster

182 - Rickster8

112 - wolfy62

111 - wongojack

103 - cmadruga

95 - lupovax

87 - crade

82 - Northcoastgamer

68 - Player One

61 - IntyFanMatt 

59 - fakecortex

55 - gavvv

35 - JacobZu7zu7

32 - jimblargh

19 - gar0u

13 - ed1475

3 - jblenkle

Games Won

7 - IntellivisionMaster - Stampede / SNAFU / The Power of He-Man / Thin Ice / Beauty and the Beast / PGA Golf / Donkey Kong

3 - Rickster8 - Pinball / SNAFU / Space Armada UNLEASHED

1 - Northcoastgamer - Q*bert

1 - Gavvv - BurgerTime

1 - IntyFanMatt - Dreadnaught Factor

Sneak Preview: 

Shark! Shark! Chosen by ClassicGMR

Edited by Rickster8
Added in scores
  • Like 2

3 hours ago, wolfy62 said:

I don't expect to do very well at this.

I did take the time to read the booklet, beat a couple of the lower levels and practice the fine points of space repair. 

Level 5 is very difficult though!

Score skill 5: 7,380

20221016_155503.jpg

I just revised the game settings. It's now player's choice..... 👍

• Like 1

I have played this one before, but it has been a while.  I also can't find either of the 2 Intellivoice modules that I remember owning, so I may need think through how I actually want to play this one.

I have the tools and the talent!  I'll figure it out.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Overall Rankings (POINTS)

After Donkey Kong

230 - IntellivisionMaster

182 - Rickster8

112 - wolfy62

111 - wongojack

103 - cmadruga

95 - lupovax

87 - crade

82 - Northcoastgamer

68 - Player One

61 - IntyFanMatt 

59 - fakecortex

55 - gavvv

35 - JacobZu7zu7

32 - jimblargh

19 - gar0u

13 - ed1475

3 - jblenkle

Games Won

7 - IntellivisionMaster - Stampede / SNAFU / The Power of He-Man / Thin Ice / Beauty and the Beast / PGA Golf / Donkey Kong

3 - Rickster8 - Pinball / SNAFU / Space Armada UNLEASHED

1 - Northcoastgamer - Q*bert

1 - Gavvv - BurgerTime

1 - IntyFanMatt - Dreadnaught Factor

(The only real drama here is who is going to finish 3rd overall as 1st and 2nd place are pretty much locked at this point).

Edited by Rickster8
Wording
  • Like 1

Quick Space Spartans Update: 

780,990 (L5) - mr_me (+3 BONUS POINTS)

219,980 (L3) - wolfy62 (+3 BONUS POINTS)

75,410 (L5) - crade (+1 BONUS POINT)

Edited by Rickster8
Added in another score.

I still think this game was ahead of it's time and doesn't get enough credit..  still holds up well in my opinion.  It's got basically RTS and space combat sim components in 1982.  Too bad I'm not actually very good at it.. lol Especially the combat I can't hit the broad side of a tie fighter interceptor in this game!

Speed 5 75410

image.thumb.jpeg.49048fe237858e12efeaef2f64493261.jpeg

Edited by crade
more
  • Like 3
  • Haha 2

As usual, with our favourite console, I had a bad-luck glitch. 

I cleared Board # 9 and … Board # 10 never loaded. I’m sitting here over 7 hours straight and $&&$& happens! I let my energy drain on my ship to get the Game Over score. 

Started on Skill # 5 

Cleared 9 Boards. 

Console. 

156E005D-3801-47A3-9DB3-C99AC4893B83.png

Edited by IntellivisionMaster
  • Like 2
  • Sad 1

5 hours ago, IntellivisionMaster said:

As usual, with our favourite console, I had a bad-luck glitch. 

I cleared Board # 9 and … Board # 10 never loaded. I’m sitting here over 7 hours straight and $&&$& happens! I let my energy drain on my ship to get the Game Over score. 

Started on Skill # 5 

Cleared 9 Boards. 

Had wave ten worked for you before?  I vaguely remember hearing about a wave ten bug with this cartridge.

Edited by mr_me

There are no known variations of the game, all cartridges should be the same. This is what was written on the history page at Intellivisionlives. 

"BUG: The level counter is not checked properly -- it allows you to reach one higher level than it's supposed to. On that "level," you can reposition the alien bases as if they were your own."

Seems there is a fixed number of playable levels.  On the last one, the bug supposedly lets you position enemy bases.  Have you seen that?  Is wave ten the last playable level?

Edited by mr_me

I’ve been to that place. 

This writer is asking the question. I was there many times. 

opening board 7 you position their star bases before you position yours. It happens every time opening Board 7. 

Since it happens every time, I don’t consider it a glitch. It wasn’t intended by the programmers. But it “happens”. The programmer acknowledged it on an interview, citing that he himself and one other player who approached him at a conference mentioned it to him; and that “Level 7 is the highest anyone has gone” according to the programmer. 

The first time it happened for me In 1995 I thought my game glitched. And after pressing some buttons I reset the game. (Similar to the guy who first saw the split screen on pac-man). the next day I played it again and after many hours of play the same thing happened opening board 7. That’s when I realized it’s in the game. (Like the EA Sports motto). 

what happened last night I’ve never seen before. Could be my console just got tired or overheated! The Intellivision console can produce any glitch at any time :)I’ve been to Board 10 a dozen times. I’ve also cleared Board 10 twice and Board 11 once. Board 10 has thousands of aliens… it’s really tough to clear it :)  The longest game I’ve played with a few minutes break here and there was 22 hours. The longest I’ve played without stopping at all except to ponder the placement of the star based is 14-ish hours. 

I really didn’t want to go all-out for AA. I need to gear-up to play a 12 to 20-hour game :) and likely I would like to make it official, recording it and having food and drink near me etc… which I’m not really prepared to do with such tight deadlines. I did play the game live on Twitch last year and couldn’t clear Board 10. I got to 10 million points, but that board gave me too much to handle. I have the screen shot of it actually. I’ll post it just for fun. 

I’ll use another console and another cart if I try another go. Let’s call it an anomaly. 

ps) there’s other little “things” that happen in the game…. But I don’t want to give away “spoilers” for those who want the adventure of exploration.

I can however answer any question on the game or confirm/deny any rumours! 

I just found my screen shot. I see I played it on Canada Day… likely 2020. 

D9B17107-943D-437B-9EB1-4DEAFCD72A81.png

• Like 4

It's a nice game.  It really showcases what makes Intellivision great - a little action, a little strategy, uses the keypad and voice nicely.  Great package, but I don't think I would call it addictive.  I'm usually ready to stop playing once the round is over.  This time, I got 100,270 starting on level 2

image.thumb.jpeg.61499335eb89d70e6c17c9aa1baa367c.jpeg

• Like 4