IGNORED

No Man’s Sky on Switch - what do you think?

jgkspsx

I imagine it is a much smoother experience on more powerful consoles and PC, but I am really enjoying it on Switch. The graphic degradation they need to do to keep it running well is pretty extreme, but frame rate and responsiveness are pretty solid handheld. Altogether it’s a really impressive game so far.

• Like 2

I was going to wait for a price drop, but I bought it anyway and went through the first planet on Relaxed mode on my Switch Lite over a lunch break yesterday. 

Text is a little small so I turned up the HUD scaling to the max at 1.5x and used a combo of the zoom function and my reading glasses. The crafting interface is fussier than it needs to be so having touch support for this section was nice. Steam deck and of course iPad ports will do that too. Once I get used to the interface and gameplay loops, the small text shouldn’t bother me as much. 

The resolution is worse than other versions but the color and shading (shiny things!) carries through. 

It’s my hope that having it portable, plus the Relaxed Mode, will make this a game I visit a lot. I bought the ps4 version at launch and had high hopes but was put off by the grinding and survival aspects. Now that the game is opened up, it seems a lot more fun from what I’ve played. 

I wonder how hard it would be to implement a NMS cloud account system, so progress could transfer between platforms? 

As it is, the Switch version is my preference just because it’s comfortable and runs well there. I feel the same way about Skyrim. It’s on sale for half price everywhere but Switch right now but I don’t regret my full price purchase. 

• Like 4

16 minutes ago, Flojomojo said:

I wonder how hard it would be to implement a NMS cloud account system, so progress could transfer between platforms? 

I don't know,  but I shared my bases between my PC and Playstation accounts so I can at least use stuff I worked hard on building on the other platform.

• Like 1

How did you do that? Because it’s a shared world, and you could pass resources to yourself? 

There’s no active multiplayer on the Switch version but it seems to do online things in the background if you’re connected to the internet, so maybe it’s possible here too?

I’m not far enough in to say. Part of the motivation of buying this version was “THIS time I really want to get into this game, which really looks like it would appeal to me!”

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, Flojomojo said:

How did you do that? Because it’s a shared world, and you could pass resources to yourself? 

There’s no active multiplayer on the Switch version but it seems to do online things in the background if you’re connected to the internet, so maybe it’s possible here too?

It was a while ago, and I think they are constantly changing things,   but I think I had to go into each base computer to upload it to make it public.  

The next problem is getting there since my two users likely live millions of light years apart.   I don't remember if I did a shared session or used portal coordinates,  but either should work.   If active multiplayer isn't working on switch (are they adding it?)  then I guess find the nearest portal and activate it and get the coordinates..   But that means getting all the necessary portal glyphs on the new account, so that can take some time.

Anyway, once I finally reach a base of the other account, I build a small base with teleporter to allow easy access to the planet.   It's kind of cool because I built intricate floating bases on PC like a "Cloud City" and "Space Wheel" space station,  so I can walk out of my PS5 base and see those structures hanging in the sky, and fly up to them.     Also once I visit the base they show up in my teleport list too, so I can go directly to them.

I repeated that for all bases I cared about sharing between the two platforms.

I would be careful about sharing huge bases though since the weaker platform may struggle.   That was one reason I switched from NMS on PS4 to PC in the first place, so I could build huge bases.   But once I got a PS5 I switched back to playing my old PS4 save and wanted to shared as much as I could between the PS/PC

As for sharing resources,  you can harvest any plants they are farming and empty any mining units of the other's base, (that was a big help)   but if you open the containers, you see your inventory, not theirs.

If you had active multiplayer, you could gift the other account stuff.

Edited by zzip
  • Like 2

I bought No Man's Sky on the PC ages ago when it was on sale like a year or two after launch, and enjoyed it a bit. However, I say "a bit" because the gameplay seemed rather shallow, and mining simply became tedious after a while without much else in the game to keep my attention. I've tried to jump back in a few times since then after major updates to see if it's become more fun to play, but some frustrations with the game have made that a short-lived experience each and every time. As much as I've been tempted to buy the Switch port, I'd really hate to waste that money on a game that I've already given up on several times in the past. As it stands, I simply can't fathom paying $60 for this port.

• Like 1

On 10/15/2022 at 1:31 AM, Sauron said:

I bought No Man's Sky on the PC ages ago when it was on sale like a year or two after launch, and enjoyed it a bit. However, I say "a bit" because the gameplay seemed rather shallow, and mining simply became tedious after a while without much else in the game to keep my attention. I've tried to jump back in a few times since then after major updates to see if it's become more fun to play, but some frustrations with the game have made that a short-lived experience each and every time. As much as I've been tempted to buy the Switch port, I'd really hate to waste that money on a game that I've already given up on several times in the past. As it stands, I simply can't fathom paying $60 for this port.

I have put many hours into the game over the years so I do think it was worth the money.    That said there is always a point you hit where you get rich enought to afford anything, you feel like you've seen everything and there is a feeling of "now what?"   They'll drop a new update and that might bring me back for a short time, but then I get back to "now what?"

I think one of the problems is it takes inspiration from other games,  they'll add systems but fail to take them to their full potential.   For instance,  one update they added a "cooking and food" subsystem with all kinds of recipes to unlock.   They talked about the possibility of "Door Dash in Space" where players could cook and deliver food for other players in exchange for money or whatever...      But problem is eating is completely optional in this game,  eating might give you a small temporary stat boost, but nothing amazing,  so there's no real incentive to dive into the cooking system.    Another one is when they suddenly decided your bases need to be powered and wired.   Suddenly we had ugly wires running everywhere just to keep our base running the way it was before the update.   But NMS wiring is primitive compared to what can be done with Minecraft redstone.   Imagine people using wiring to make some really unique base features and making bases worth visiting for that reason.   But it's not there (yet anyway).    The game is full of ideas like that-  bolted on after the fact and not as fully fleshed out as they could be.

• Like 3

8 hours ago, jgkspsx said:

Seven hours in and my savegame seems to be messed up. The guide tab crashes 100% of the time 😭

9FB5747E-88D8-40EB-B106-7A189D00D1F4.thumb.jpeg.e7c3c7fe12988ca1a0de2e497d0f3de8.jpeg

Report a bug with Hello Games,   when they release big new versions, they are full of bugs.    They release patches every few days and they often issue fixes to recover save files.

• Thanks 1

On 10/15/2022 at 1:31 AM, Sauron said:

Same when it got the massive overhauls over the first year or two, then it hit GoG with a starting day deal of like 50-66% off so I snapped it up.  I had probably 20 hours on it at most maybe half that, came to the same conclusions as it just got stale.  Loved the idea but the execution leaves a lot to be desired.

• Like 2

I have basically stopped noticing it.

I have never played an open universe game like this before. Compared to other astronaut exploration and base building games I have spent significant time with like Kerbal Space Program, Lifeless Planet, and JCB Pioneer: Mars, this is the most fun and least frustrating of the lot. It’s not too hard or fiddly, is my favorite part.

• 4 weeks later...
10 hours ago, ColecoGamer said:

Quick question about No Man’s Sky: does it install and run off the Switch or does it stream from a separate server somewhere, like that Marvel game? Guardian’s of the Galaxy, I think?

It’s fully on the game card (with a large downloaded update in memory), and it runs completely on the Switch.

• Thanks 1