IGNORED

Season 13 ~ Week 10 ~ Raft Rider

Vocelli

Raft Rider (1 B/B): 14,604

Definitely don't recommend playing this one when you are feeling tired.  Really difficult trying to stay awake while you row down the river! 

I give US Games credit for trying something different than other more typical games in the 2600 library.  Not a bad game by any means.   Controls well..  Just not enough to keep you engaged and focused.  Maybe rafting off a waterfall and landing mechanic would do it!

Never played this one before so appreciate HSC introduction to a lesser known game.

20221017_225230.jpg

Edited by AtariSphinx
Typo
  • Like 2
  • Haha 3

Raft Rider: ROLLAGE

Wow that took a while, really enjoyed the game though, it was quite relaxing, albeit boring after 20 minutes or so. Took around 70-80 mins to roll, although didn’t watch the clock so that could be a bit off. Those extra lives gained from collecting the gold are key, I started to get a little lazy at the end and would up with only one life in the end!

2330B418-1392-478B-9BEC-4E1312575D5D.jpeg

• Like 5

Now that a bunch of people are rolling the score, I have a question about the buddy system bonus points. Normally when multiple people roll the score, they are ranked in order of who rolled first. However, if the points are awarded based on the combined score, wouldn't that reward people with more bonus points for rolling the score later?

• Like 3

17 hours ago, Keir said:

Now that a bunch of people are rolling the score, I have a question about the buddy system bonus points. Normally when multiple people roll the score, they are ranked in order of who rolled first. However, if the points are awarded based on the combined score, wouldn't that reward people with more bonus points for rolling the score later?

I thought this might happen so if you look under the Buddy System Scores on the First Post it reads something like...  All Rolled Scores and anyone paired with a rolled score gets +5 Bonus Points.

• Like 2

Raft Rider: 22451

Posting something to get on the board.  I'm just starting to figure this game out (the left joystick and picking up the gold) and am pretty sure than when I have more time this weekend, I'll get something better posted.

It seems that several times, I've crashed trying to pick up the gold, which sort of defeats the purpose.  On future games, I need to remember that the primary objective is to not crash.  I'm only going to try picking up gold if it's easy to get to and the game is moving at the slower speed, giving me additional time to fine-tune my position.

Does anyone know a way to keep the game from automatically starting a new game?  This might be one of the dumbest features I've seen in any Atari 2600 game (why not just let me push the joystick button instead...)  There were a couple games where I improved my score and it started a new game before I could snap a pic.

image.thumb.png.498387b72f4b7dc1557e6470bb0b61f7.png

• Like 3

7 hours ago, Jason_Atari said:

Thought i was going to roll the score then boredom and fatigue kicked in and i lost lives stupidly lol.

That's what happened to me.

Also it seems like there is plenty of gold when you don't need it, but as soon as you lose a life and need gold it is nowhere to be found.

One time I went about 7000 points without seeing any gold.

Edited by Atarian7

53 minutes ago, Atarian7 said:

Yeah, you get the 3 extra bags in reserve to get you another raft.  I was talking about getting gold to refresh those 3 extras.   I try to stay fully stocked.  :LOL:

Can you ever get more than that? I mean, if you have 3 extra rafts and 3 money bags, what happens when you pick up another gold? Do you get a 4th money bag?

8 hours ago, Keir said:

Can you ever get more than that? I mean, if you have 3 extra rafts and 3 money bags, what happens when you pick up another gold? Do you get a 4th money bag?

Nope.  If you're maxed out at 3 money bags and 3 rafts, picking up additional gold doesn't do anything.

• Thanks 1

Raft Rider: Rollage (100k)

I found that a conservative approach to picking up the gold worked best.  It's best to max out the rafts and money bags, but not at the cost of losing a raft because you're moving too quickly or the gold is not easy to get to.  I played several games where most of my rafts were lost by trying too hard to pick up the gold.  My biggest improvement in score came when I started targeting the bottom of the gold rocks when trying to pick them up.  If you miss and are too high, you will crash and lose a raft.  If you're too low, you still don't get the gold, but your raft will safely glide along the bottom edge of the rock.

The game got to be quite tedious and I think this is one of those titles that needs to be played with the difficulty switches on "A" once you've learned the basics.  The faster speed with the left difficulty on "A" and the moving moose with the right difficulty on "A" significantly ramps up the challenge compared to the "Both on B" settings we used for this week.  If we ever do this game again, I'd suggest both switches on "A" to make Rollage far less likely.

image.thumb.png.8a42521e7e1eb016c23c260667814814.png

• Like 3