IGNORED

Titletune help

Grevle

My game Dracula Story is only missing a title tune , and i'm no musician. So i have a simple two tone music engine ready. I't Plays two channels pokey clearnote.

It reads Byte in this format  Example .BYTE $0,$58,$50,$55,$50,$60,$40,$40,$60,$50,$55,$50,$60,$70,$70 - For channel 1 and one more like this for channel 2 with is normally the bass notes.

Not to long tune. perhaps max 60 notes.

Setting $0 shuts off  that channel until next note is set . useful for the bass note mostly

Tempo is controlled by having two of the same notes after each other. then it will play that note twice as long

All i need is the right byte data for a fitting titletune. 

Anyone have some data like this i can use ?

Thank you.

Tried make one myself. The most annoying tune. lol 

TST.xex

Edited by Grevle
  • Like 2

It looks like your data are just frequencies and zero is silence?

For a spooky sound track to fit the Dracula theme, try something in the Phrygian scale of E. On a piano, that's playing from E to e on the white keys. Very simple, but not your regular do-re-mi.

E F e f E F e f is a popular spooky motive. Or f e B F E. That one is used a lot in TV Shows, like Who Wants to Be a Millionaire?

If you share the source of the small player, I might be able to come up with something.

Edit: and E F E F repeated ad infinitum is Jaws ;)

Edited by ivop
  • Like 1

Here's the simple engine for 1 channel tune..

; 1 CHANNEL MUSIC

*= 37000
SOUNDC = 1600
TITMS = 1601
          LDX #0 ; INITILASE POKEY
          STX 53768
          LDX #3
          STX 53775    

LDX #0
STX 20

MAIN

JSR TITLETUNE

JMP MAIN

TITLETUNE
     LDY TITMS
     CPY #1
     BEQ VLA
     LDX #170
     STX 53761
     LDY #1
     STY TITMS
     LDX #0 
     STX SOUNDC

VLA
     LDX 20 ; Check RT clock
     CPX #10 ; tempo for tune
     BCC HOI     
     LDX #0
     STX 20
     LDX SOUNDC
     INC SOUNDC
     LDA TUNE,X
     STA 53760  
     LDX SOUNDC
     CPX #57 ; number of notes
     BCS VLO
HOI     
     RTS  
VLO               
    LDX #0
    STX TITMS
    JMP TITLETUNE

TUNE
                                                          ;v3                       v4                         v5
.BYTE 50,55,50,50,50,50,0,50,50,60,70,75,80,85,85,80,80

.BYTE 0,0,0,60,65,60,60,0,0,0

.BYTE 70,70,64,64,80,80,88,88,88,0,0

.BYTE 90,90,80,80,70,70,75,75,80,80,75,75,70,70,65,65,70

.BYTE 60,70,60,70,60,55,65,55,50,60,55,60,65,60,65,70,65,60,65,60,55,60,55,50,55,60

.BYTE 65,75,65,75,70,65,0,0,0

Edited by Grevle
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, ivop said:

Thanks! Is there a reason why you don't just use RMT or another music tracker?

Yes. Out of memory. Turbobasic is used for some setups and to draw the backround still images, Then all gameplay and sfx and such is Assembler. Combined it uses a lot of memory. 

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, Grevle said:

Yes. Out of memory. Turbobasic is used for some setups and to draw the backround still images, Then all gameplay and sfx and such is Assembler. Combined it uses a lot of memory. 

I see. So how many bytes do you have free for a player plus data?

2 minutes ago, Grevle said:

Hmm around 200 bytes max.

O wow, that's really limited. I could do some notes, but that would be it. Or generative music like I did in several size coding competitions.

I'm about to watch the cyclocross in Fayetteville (USA), but after that I might do some experiments and try to keep below 200 bytes.

For the record, you boot Turbo Basic, do some initialization (I assume lots of pokes?), pre-draw some images, and then run your assembly code? Does it ever return to Turbo Basic or is it all assembly after that?

I'm asking, because the pre-drawn images could be dumped as a binary file, and the init code is probably easily ported to assembly, which would bring you to the 100% assembly realm and more free memory :)

But maybe that's too much work. And I like size coding ;)

NO. it's kinda old fashion plot and drawto from custom character set. The way i use to do it back in 1983,old habit. But it works. hehe. 

It, jumps back and forth between Basic and assembly. for everytime a new screen is drawn. But This is my last Game with basic code in it. Will use Assembly only code for new projects.

Edited by Grevle

14 minutes ago, Grevle said:

NO. it's kinda old fashion plot and drawto from custom character set. The way i use to do it back in 1983,old habit. But it works. hehe. 

It, jumps back and forth between Basic and assembly. for everytime a new screen is drawn. But This is my last Game with basic code in it. Will use Assembly only code for new projects.

Okay, thanks! Jumping back and forth between TB and assembly is no easy feat to convert to 100% assembly :)

So, size coding it is then ;)

But first some sports on the seeing-far!

• Like 1