IGNORED

TI99Dir download page gone?

charlietunaz

However the important zip file is not on archive.org, which leaves us for the time being with some rather old versions at:

http://ftp.whtech.com/pc%20utilities/TiDir/
(from 2011 - v4)

or I have a copy of v5.2 at:
http://shawweb.myzen.co.uk/stephen/Tidir52b.zip

Has anyone else saved a more recent version somewhere? ss

Version 6.4a is available at:
http://web.archive.org/web/20190829051936/http://www.ti99-geek.nl/Projects/ti99dir/ti99dir.html

I would recommend that any such TI asset pages are saved to archive.org (using the save now option etc) whenever there is an update. Also useful if when an update is advised here that someone saves a copy of any zip or dsk file to wht - I can now post to wht even if I can't post attachments on this site!

ss

Yes the domain expired ... it became to expensive for this hobby site. When I started it 4 years ago it was about 65 euro's which was okay, went up to 89 euro's a bit less okay and then 160 euro's and for the coming year it would have been 220+ euro's. If there is something new I post somewhere here.

• Like 6

5 hours ago, F.G. Kaal said:

Yes the domain expired ... it became to expensive for this hobby site. When I started it 4 years ago it was about 65 euro's which was okay, went up to 89 euro's a bit less okay and then 160 euro's and for the coming year it would have been 220+ euro's. If there is something new I post somewhere here.

Perhaps Google Sites could be an option ... ? Limited, but free ...

• Like 2

7 hours ago, F.G. Kaal said:

Holy shit, that is ridiculous.  But, it is also why I dropped a few of my hobby domains: they went from $30 a year to $60 a year just for the domain registrations.  Is that 220+ Euros just for the domain, or for domain and hosting?

17 hours ago, F.G. Kaal said:

you are welcome to put your stuff free at arcadeshopper.com lmk 

• Like 2

Version 8.3e has now been added to wht
http://ftp.whtech.com/pc%20utilities/TiDir/

and the wht page has again been saved to archive.org:
Archive org current url for the page is:
http://web.archive.org/web/20221018085443/https://ftp.whtech.com/pc%20utilities/TiDir/
and the zip can be downloaded from there.

8.3e is quite a bit bigger than 8.3b- up from 617k to 917k. Quite a bit bigger than dear old 41b at 50k!
How these youngsters grow when you take your eyes off them.... :-)

ss

And on the topic of disappearing web assets- if you know a website is about to disappear eg due to excessive domain costs, it can be safely placed into archive.org. However- it cannot be saved after it has gone.
If you have a TI website that is about to go, and have a week or two's notice, make a big noise about it on this forum and with any luck it will be saved for you.
If there are any assets to be placed on WHT please advertise them here. Perhaps we need a couple of threads: "Please save to wht" and "Please archive" ?

There are several methods to save a website to archive.org, the best is to have a log in but it is not required. Or post on this forum.
But you must act before the website disappears.
It does not have to be a web page that is disappearing- if a page is amended it can also be resaved to archive.,org - they have internal limits on how often you can do this, but seem to accept every couple of months without a qualm. ss
  • Thanks 1

On 10/16/2022 at 7:04 AM, F.G. Kaal said:

I think Greg has made an offer, but I will throw an offer out there as well.  I have my www.9640News.com website, and I would be happy to create a FGKaal directory and give you FTP access so you copy your content over to it.  Then, if you wanted to still maintain the domain name, you could redirect things to the folder.  Your only expense would be the domain name which is far cheaper than the numbers you mentioned above.

Beery

30 minutes ago, 9640News said:

I think Greg has made an offer, but I will throw an offer out there as well.  I have my www.9640News.com website, and I would be happy to create a FGKaal directory and give you FTP access so you copy your content over to it.  Then, if you wanted to still maintain the domain name, you could redirect things to the folder.  Your only expense would be the domain name which is far cheaper than the numbers you mentioned above.

Beery

I'm sure Don would be happy to host as well.. his hosting is reasonable..about 5 a month and if you move your domain to google domains its about 14 a year 

On 10/16/2022 at 7:04 AM, F.G. Kaal said:

Eek.  220+ Euros?  I think I pay $24.95 every three months for guidry.org/hexbus.com - and I've been with the same company since 1998.  They've only increased prices on me one time.

You can hang off of hexbus.com if you like.  I can see if I can create a user and directory for you.  Edit: Check your email.  :)